Options

10 Mile run

I did my first run since March last sunday and I decided it'd be a 10 miler, also making it my longest ever run.

I'm pretty fit so didn't think It'd be too much of a problem (wrong though my time was 67.52) anyway my legs are still a little sore today but I was wondering if I could get away with doing it again this saturday? I know my legs will be in great shape by tomorrow.

My theory is that the second time it'll be easier and the recovery quicker, I'd run it at a slower pace was well - maybe 65-70% max HR as the last time I kept it around the 75/80 range.

or should I stick with a shorter run of some kind? I have little time for running but I want to do a HM - I know I could finish one now but I'd like it to be a little easier when the time comes.

10 miles or not 10 miles?

though I've had sore legs its not really affected my other training

Comments

• Options
    67.52 for 10 miles is a very fast pace in fact it's my racing pace. Who isn't a little sore after 10 miles. What are your aims if you intend doing a half marathon, I suggest a one off long distance run a week is not ideal, but if you say there is little time for anything else then my advice is you need the distance for the HM. If you can handle the 10 miles at weekend go for it but try and vary the intensity, introduce fartlek, threshold at certain distances ie run hard for a mile and slow for recovery, try hilly then flat etc. Word of caution be careful of any radical change in your running habits thats when injuries occur.

take care

Paul
  • Options
    My aim for the HM is to just be able to complete the thing, I've only ever done one road race a year ago which as a 10k. My next target is to do a HM in September or something, I'm certain I could finish it now but I'd like to not be suffering for it for too long hence i thought I'd give a longer distance a go.

I know 10 miles isn't the best thing to do but as I've done it once now I was just wondering if it'd be easier the next time, I do very little running so have so little experience of trying these things out

Thanks again, I'll probably go a 50 minute run (I have a route which takes me about that long) and then train later on the rowing machine this saturday
  • Options
    what can also work well for building up to 1/2M etc without killing yourself is to split the mileage so it's back to back overnight

ie. do 6 miles late evening then 6 miles first thing next morning. an extra 12 in the bag but should fit a 10 in earlier than you would have done if you'd already done a 10.

(sorry, i think i've reached new levels of incoherentness there, but maybe you know what i mean!)