Options

Novice runner

I've been training for the last 4 weeks to do a 5k in 2 weeks. Have been following RW 5k training schedule for beginners for the last 2 weeks. This week, I ran outside for the first time (treadie before) and felt good on Tuesday. Then today, I was doing my 4 mile run outside and I was running faster than my normal "steady" treadie speed. Felt good till about halfway, then felt tired. After 3/4 I had a stitch. Finished it and felt happy that I had. But my right knee is niggling now - pain on one side. Why is it that when I run stready (5.3mph on treadie)I feel comfortable, can converse fairly easily with next treadie, never get a stitch, and knees are fine. When I go outside (no treadie buttons so very difficult to judge speed), I tend to start off too fast, continue too fast (I did my 4 miles on the running track today in under 40mins ie 6mph), always get a stitch at some point, and my knees suffer (I presume because my feet lift off the ground higher to go faster?)
My questions are:
what can I do about judging adjusting speed outside?
Will I ever be able to run faster without suffering those effects?
Should I consider running to be a no no as I get problems with my knees (have always had tracking problems) and take up another sport?
Help please.

Comments

• Options
    Hi

i would say that it's the impact that is having the effect on your knee's. treadmills are far more cushioned and so offer more support.

In anwswer to your questions.
    1)Speed can be very difficult initially to judge. I would suggest making a concerted effort to start off slower. We are talking a slow jog here! Check that you can chat or talk comfortably. Notice your breathing, is it comfortable? After a while you will become familiar with your pace.

2)Yes of course you will be able to run faster, it just takes time and patience. i feel you may be expecting too much too soon? For now i would concentrate more on building up your running. By that i mean running slower and very very gradually building up the time that you run for. i do mean gradually! By doing this you will build up your aerobic base and also give your muscles a chance to get stronger without overwhelming them too soon.

3) have you invested in a pair of decent running shoes as this can make all the difference. If not pop along to your local running store and get yourself fitted correctly. They should ensure that the shoe fits correctly and that it is of the right type for you and your feet.

If your knee's still play up take it more gradually, you can always continue on the treadmill for a bit until they are stronger.

In regard to your stitch. Personally I don't eat anythin heavy for at least 2 hours before I run and i no longer get a stitch. Also as you say you are more than likely running too fast at the moment.

Patience - you will get there and well done so far you are doing brill!

Scoobs

• Options
    Thanks for your response, SS. I must admit I was trying too hard to achieve too much too soon. I knew that I was going too fast in my 2nd and 3rd mile, but was at that stage, reluctant to slow down. Call it stubborn, but I felt good achieving speed and thought I could get away with it. I can normally chat comfortably on treadie, and when I was having to take lots of breaths I knew I was going too fast as well. But like I said, stubbornness stopped me going slower again. I have learnt now to be more disciplined. When I start to run, I usually try to think of a whole load of things from making sure my shoulders are relaxed and back is straight (learnt it the hard way when my back hurt after one session ages ago); that my feet are striking straight (alignment pain after one session ages ago); etc. I guess going steady and slowing down is another thing to add to my list. And I will slow down!

My shoes are fine as I have proper running ones. My sons are runners and I know all about running shoes.

In fact, I know about steady runs too, but teachers don't always make good students!

Stitches for me are usually always to do with running too fast (also another thing I learnt ages ago). Really annoying.

So I guess I should just take it easy and not be too ambitious too soon. I didn't run today - knee doesn't feel right, but will see how it is tomorrow. Otherwise I'll wait till next week. My race is in 10 days.... I want to be able to start and finish that.