Options

Old and new running shoes

How do I decide when my running shoes have 'died'?

I've read '6 months', '300-500 miles' - but they are both very vague and with two pairs of shoes, I don't know how many miles I've run in each pair.

Help, please

Comments

• Options
    Keep a running log and note what shoes you wear when. I change mine at around 350 - 400 miles (I look to see how worn the soles are). Usually my knees start to hurt around when the shoes are due for renewal which gives me a timely reminder!
  • Options
    annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    any aches and pains are a good sign for me as well, if its around the time that I think I've worn a pair of trainers for quite a long time.

Also, any creases in the midsole (white foam inbetween the sole and the main part of the shoe) are a giveaway sign - if the midsole starts to look a bit cracked and wrinkly, it means the cushioning in the midsole is no longer doing its job
  • Options
    Oh dear. I've done nearyl 500 miles in mine and I have noticed my shins aching after my run.

Problem is I have a half marathon next weekend and I've heard you need to break them in. Also funds are low and i can't afford new shoes at the moment.

Do you think I should dip into the overdraft, in this case? If so how am I going to get used to them in 1 week?
  • Options
    I change my trainers when they just dont feel comfortable anymore. In addition i have two pairs on the go and wear them on alternative days [this allows them to relax and as a result extends their lifespan]
  • Options
    I also check the tread pattern when it starts to break down, bit like a car tyre. I have two pairs on the go same as Anita. Remember they are the most important piece of kit us runners have and the source of many injuries. My advice is if you have lost track how long you have had them or roughly the sort of mileage you have done in them, time for a change. A physio recently told me due to the battering we runners give our feet the shape are changing all the time so get them properly fitted each new pair.
    take care

Paul