Options

Advice for a swimmer

Yes I know this is a runners site but a pal of mine really needs some help.

She is 35 and recently returned to swimming at competion level, usually 50 or 100m sprints. Although she trains with a club most of the members are under 21 and don't do much (if any) cross training and she doesn't seem to get advice on nutrition.

What sort of cross training should she be doing?
Should she carb load and reduce protein before a race?
Are energy gels any good between events?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi, I hope what I have to say is of soe help - I've just finished a 9 month course on swimming as part of my degree. Assuming she's purely interested in swimming - not becoming a triathlete or anything then she shouldn't be doing any land training except for swimming-muscle specific weight training. The best form of training for swimmers is swimming as you want to train the muscle fibers and nervous system specifically to make you swim faster, therfore running, although it increases your aerobic capacity, does not benifit ay other aspect of swimming - that's probably why none of the other swimmers at her club do any other land based training. If she wants some serious advice then I recommend she gets the book SWIMMING FASTEST by MAGLISCHO - 2003 (there is a 1993 version but some of the stuff is outdated). It is fully comprehensive and covers every aspect of swimming from stroke mechanics to training programs. If she is serious about starting swimming again then it would be a really useful source of information.