Options

Cathal Lombard's new lease of form.

Cathal Lombard has improved his PB's over 5,000m and 10,000m from 13:58 to 13:19, and 30:35 to 28:05!!! So whats the secret?

Cathal says that he completely changed his approach to training after a meeting with a top coach, introducing more plyometrics and drills, something Irish distance runners training programmes had never seen. After doing hard back to back sessions (my problem!) and 100miles per week plus (Iv never got close!!) he changed his approach and possibly did slightly less in the winter and around 60 miles in the summer. He talks of watching athletes such as Gabby Szabo at french altitude training camps and how they have sessions focused completely on drills plyometrics.

Has anyone else introduced these methods and found better results? I need some fresh ideas before i go stale! I have been running fairly well but seem to have dried up recently.

Cathal says:-

"I was so passionate and anxious to do well that I became blinded by the desperation to succeed." - Cathal Lombard

"I was hurting in those last three laps but all I was thinking is, this is everything, this is what you worked for the last ten or eleven years, you have one shot at." - Cathal Lombard

Thats the way i need to be thinking at the moment. I really have been lacking desire and enthusiasm after my last three mediocre races.

Here's the story....Cathal smashes pb's after new fresh approach

Comments

• Options
    Martin, I bet Cathal hadn't raced 4 races in 5 days, or a 10k before a championship race.

Maybe at 18 you think you're invincible and you can race and train as hard as you like day in day out without any payback, but now you're learning you can't. It's a lesson I'm only just learning ( a steep curve in the last few days) :(

Like Carl was saying the other night, a lot of your guys tend to run very short very fast intervals which are great up to a point but don't build an endurance base.

Must admit never tried the drills etc, but Paula R. is mean to do them as well so could be well worth looking into.