Options

Why join a running club?

Ok guys, this might be a bit of a chance for someone to sell me something here!

I'm a half decent runner, I like going to big events independently. I've done 10k, 10mile, 1/2 marathon, even half ironman. I find myself beating people from running clubs. I'd always thought that if they were in running clubs they must be super-duper fast and invincible.

Its made me think, if i can beat them, should i Join a club?

Thing is I know nothing about running cluibs, what benefits I would gain from joining one, what it would cost me, and whether I'd still be better off just doing my own trianing.

So, anyone want to push any running club advertising in my direction, or at least tell me if its worth joining one?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Why do you think members of running clubs are full of these super duper,fast and invincible types? Running clubs are for ordinary people who share a passion for running and should cater for all abilities and speeds.
    The main benefits I've got from joining a club is in making many more friends,having partners to train with,learning new routes to run and having a great social life within the club.We've also had great trips such as to Dublin for the marathon,organised coach trips to the big events such as the Great North Run and of course being a club member gives you a slightly cheaper race entry.I was lucky enough to run London marathon this year courtesy of a club place another perk of being a club member.
    My advise is try out a local club, most happily allow guests to give them a try for several weeks before deciding if they want to join,so what have you got to lose.
    I don't know where you live but if you are in North Yorkshire you'd be very welcome at Swaledale Road Runners.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    PeteR is exactly on the money, there is no drawback to being in a running club unless you don't like people!
  • Options
    If you join a running club you get numerous advantages :

people to train with
    cheaper racing
    valuable advice
    social meets

thats regardless of your running ability.

and importantly you get to put something back into to the sport at grass roots level - running clubs organise local races and without members to help with that we would just be left with big city marathons...

why not join a running club?

there is only one reason I can see as to why not and thats if you like to train alone. This is why I dont belong to a running club. Its not because I dont like people, in fact the opposite is true, I have a very busy social life and other interests - my running training is about the only time i ever get to be by myself and I dont want to change that.

so even though I have ran for years and am often in the top twenty and occasionally in the top ten at smaller club races - I still dont belong to a club. This does make me feel guilty sometimes mind when I see the effort that clubs put into hosting their races....
  • Options
    Clubs are definately not just for the super duper fast runners and I am probably one of those club runners that you would out run so what are my reasons for joining a club?

Make new friends and get advice if needed.

On club nights if I don't feel like running but look forward to chatting with everyone then the running bit just happens when otherwise I would just go home and watch TV.

Social events

You can take part in relay events which are good fun

Also, as has been pointed out, without clubs there wouldn't be many races to take part in!

Of course, it doesn't suit everyone but I really enjoy being a club runner.
  • Options
    I guess my initial motives for joining a club only apply to women, but basically I decided to join one in the depths of winter when daylight hours were 8-4 and I wanted to run outside safely.

Since then, the other advantages are:

1. Fun - the post-run social is always enjoyable!
    2. Reassurance - I know that I'm never going to be left behind, or stuck if I twist my ankle, or jumped on from behind the bushes by some crazy idiot
    3. Meeting other runners - I don't always go to club runs, and had a period of about 6 months when I couldn't go at all because of work. However, during that time I met up with a couple of them for the odd run, but also knew so many people when I turned up for races, it made the race more fun.
    4. Pride! I had to defer the FLM this year, but still went out to support and I stopped counting my clubmates after the 147th went past! It was a fantastic feeling though, spotting the red and gold vests and yelling 'Go Serpie!" at the top of my voice... the policeman standing next to me looked like he was about to take me into custody, but I didn't care...
    5. Support - I've just started running again after injury and was feeling rather demotivated - but my clubmates have promised to get me round 12 miles on Weds, and 17 miles the following Weds, no matter how slowly. As I'm running about 2 mins slower per mile than I was pre-injury, I'd probably spend the entire run beating myself up if it wasn't for them. And they've been great in races too - one of our older runners was running about the same pace as me in a half earlier this year, and I hit a hill at about 10 miles and really felt it. Although I wasn't intending to give up, the shout of 'keep moving those legs, lass, you're a Serpie' kept me going at the same pace. Amsterdam half last October could have been awful - but when you're wearing a club shirt, even people you don't know shout for you. We had French, German, Italian and Dutch supporters all yelling for the Serpenteeeen ladeees", and I know that Serpies running the full also got loads of support (those of us running the half went out to cheer them, and club kit is so much easier to spot).
    6. Doesn't apply to me - but training! Our club organises track sessions, swimming lessons for the tris, hill sessions... I do keep meaning to go, but that's where our super-duper fast people are and that's when I get nervous!! Perhaps that's how they get super-duper fast... so if you're keen to improve, a club may well help. I'm still getting the training benefits from running with faster people on a club night.

Our club is £20 per year (I think!), so if you entered 20 races a year you'd defray the cost anyway. You don't have to run with others - but it's nice to know that you're doing the same route at the same time, and there'll be people in the pub at the end.
  • Options
    There are clubs and clubs - I wouldn't join Belgrave unless I could do a 32min 10K; also my club (Harrow) doesn't really have a lot of athletes who aren't pretty quick (I'm definitely one of the tortoises) - not that it's unfriendly, it just doesn't seem to have the width that clubs like Serpies do.
    I enjoy the business of competing as a team; running as an individual is okay but being a member of a club team gives it an extra dimension.
    I'd also agree with all the reasons given by Snail.
  • Options
    I wouldn't join Belgrave if Kulukundis paid me (like he pays the rest of them) why do it? They're not a club, they're parasites draining the sport dry. Watch the Belgrave team meeting up for an event, they all get introduced to each other...........

rant over
  • Options
    Mike, your club did brilliantly beating them in the 12-stage!! Superb effort, that.