Options

Legs Like Lead Weights

Okay, some advice need from the great and the good here!

Have been running for a while and making good solid progress. Did my first 10k last month in 45 mins and have another one coming up in a couple of weeks time - all aimed at the GNR in September. Problems started when i got bronchitis a month ago and was forced to take 10days off running. When i came back i started okay, almost as though i'd not had any time away - and initially my times were actually a little better, but then things went very wrong after one week and now when i try and run more than 2 miles my legs start feeling like lead weights, really heavy, and i have pains in my quad muscles etc.

Now could this be becuase in the past two weeks i've introduced 3 full body weight sessions a week into my routine and/or the fact that i've started running in the morning and only drinking a glass of water before i pop on the old Nike's and hit the streets? I read somewhere that this is the best thing to do when trying to lose some body fat. Ordinarily i was chugging down a Lucozade or Powerade before i hit the pavement.

Your advice and thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    You look really scary in your picture. If you offered me some sweets in a dark alley, I'd worry.

A lot.

(Sounds like a 'warming up properly before morning runs' thing to me...)

• Options
    Hmm Darnay - lots of possible reasons stand out from your posting.

As you felt fairly fresh when you restarted after the bronchitis, I doubt whether it is post-viral fatigue, which would require a big drop-back in training and gradual build-up again.

If you are doing 3 sessions of leg weights, that could be a factor, especially if you are doing high weights and low reps - this is a muscle-building regime that can be very tiring. If you are doing low weights and high reps, then that is less likely to be the cause.

Lack of glycogen is more likely to hit your legs later than the 2-mile mark - but the lack of fuel COMBINED with the increased weights regime would be my best guess for the cause. You could try giving the leg weights a rest for a couple of weeks and just do upper body work, and see how it goes...
  • Options
    Fear not Chintz i wouldn't offer you anything in a dark alley. Unlike you i try not to frequent such places!

Thanks LynneW for the advice.