Options

Too much or not enough ?

First of all BIG respect to all you tri athelets out there...

I've been running now for a good few years. Reaching some good pb's that I am happy with >

However, kinda bored with runnning, running running (you get the idea) so I started cross training with the hope of doing some adventure racing in the near future.

So my week looks liek this >

Mon - Bike 5 miles to work, row 2500m am, pm gym with 15x3 sets on most, bike home

Tues - Bike to work - swim at lunch - bike home, speed work @ track

Wed - Bike 5 miles to work, row 2500m am, gym with 15x3 sets on most, bike home

Thurs - Bike to work - swim at lunch - bike home, maybe a small run

Fri - Bike 5 miles to work, row 2500m am, gym with 15x3 sets on most, bike home

Sat - I usually rest

Sun - something like a long run 15 miles plus or a good MTB ride.

OK so im going on a bit here > Any ideas from anyone whos an adventure racer or even you big Tri boys and girls out there !

Comments

• Options
    well i'm not the greatest triathlete in the world... it does look like quite a heavy load especially with the bike commute.

but the good news is alot of it is non-impact so you run less risk of injury than you would from a purely high running load.

if you've built to this with proper nutrition to keep you going, you've got time for it, get plenty of sleep and you're happy with it.... then no doubt it will be doing you good.

like running programmes, multi-sport programmes should include a recovery week once a month or so where you back off the training load.

you might also find it good to have specific weeks focussing on specific disciplines. i.e. focus on swimming one week and back off the distance on the rest.
  • Options
    also look at the training programmes on trinewbies.com or various ones linked from tritalk.co.uk which should give you a feel for what training the various levels dictate.

sleepmonsters is the only AR site i know and not sure if they have specific training plans or not.. maybe some of the race sites have training tips... i dunno.

wouldn't mind doing one myself sometime.
  • Options
    hmmm.. thanks Ed.. valid advice. Esp easing of for a week. Forgot that from marathon training - 2 weeks hard easy week etc.

Like the idea of concentraing on running one week bike the next >

Yeah eat well.. sleep well... so fingers crossed. Dont wont to get into routine even doing this tho.

See what happens.

Ahy other thoughts ?
  • Options
    i'd see how you cope with that for a few weeks and, if you're not knackered all the time, add longer or harder bike sessions
  • Options
    cheers candy... im thinking maybe add a longer ride every other week and drop the rowing and vice versa. still get some varience and concentrate on a sport... still allowing time for a beer at the weekend of course!