Options

Tempo/Speed Sessions

In the latest edition of RW there is a section on Speed sessions and it talks about specific training for HM and Marathons (10 miles - 2 jogging, 2 at M pace +40 repeated 3 times with 2 mins jogging in between, and 2 miles jogging at the end).
I picked up an old copy of RW last night and started to read an article on Tempo runs.
Sorry to sound a bit dense but is this not the same thing as the speed session (maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like it is).
I want to introduce one of these sessions into my weekly training for the Abingdon Marathon and would appreciate some advice.
Cheers
(As usual - too much info confuses my mind!!)

Comments

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    My understanding of tempo runs is a reasonably sustained effort (4 or 5 miles) at around half marathon race pace (which is generally about your lactate threshold).

Speed sessions for me are shorter intervals (up to a mile) where my aim is to run each one as fast as I can without slowing down too much in the later intervals.

Ideally, in a fairly heavy program you do one speed session and one tempo run each week once you've built your base (most programs seem to put these on Tuesdays and Thursdays, although I've found I get injured doing speed work 2 days after a really long run).

I often end up running 4 or 5 unstructured bursts of a mile or so in an 8-mile run, which is a bit of a half-baked mixture of speed and tempo training while also having to get home from work.