Options

athletics track X road

Yesterday, during a track session of 1k reps, I noticed that my times are around the same for track and road reps. Shouldn't I be able to go faster on the track? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Spud, I really don't know much about track work but I think different tracks with different surfaces can affect running times. Also the one and only track we have in Aberdeen is right near the sea front and if there's a slight wind it can make it hard going.

I think the harder the running surface the better for sprinting.
  • Options
    Thank you Jane

I had forgotten about the wind. It was windy there. I did not have spikes so maybe this is the reason as the track is really springy.
  • Options
    Never worn spikes but a soft springy track will slow you down slightly but not as much as a strong wind.
  • Options
    Spud, you should be able to run faster on the track, usually.
    I shouldn't worry if you don't.

I'm ok doing speedwork, but if I try racing on them my legs feel quite drained after about 1-1.5 miles.
    Some people find tracks unsuitable for there legs.
    This is one of the reason's I gave up track racing.

My mile PB on the road is 5:00min
    My mile PB on the track is 5:00min

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Spud, I do similar times on the track to the road. I put it down to the surface (old cinder track) and it's exposed to the wind most of the time. Also, I don't run on there very often. I wouldn't worry if I were you, the fact you're doing the session is good!