Options

Going down.......

Slightly bemused and worried about a couple of replies to a previous thread re hills in the GNR and the reference to the final decent! have nooooooo experience of hills - yet - but would have thought running down hill would be a doddle. Please enlighten me....

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I've always thought it puts a lot of strain on your knees and the forces are in a different direction to those your body is used to. Especially towards the end of a long race when your muscles are fatigued and perhaps not offering the support they would normally. I'm not too bad downhills but some people - decent fell runners for example - can really fly down them, you have to see them to believe it.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Done GNR twice, and i think i know what this is about

The hills arent TOO ba going up, more a long pull ather than a hill
    But at 12 miles theres a very steep descent
    and you are tired
    and your quads hurt, cos of what popsy said

but its only for a little bit
    then there is the longest mile in the world along the sea front

seriously--its a great rave, you will love it
  • Options
    Thanks for this, first attempt a half, seemed a good idea at xmas when it was 9 months away, now its only 16 weeks and I have a serious amount of training to do..

but can I get myself motivated....

well it is a struggle but looking at all the posts on these forums sure helps

Hippo - how do you have time to run- do you post 'on the run' so to speak!!
  • Options
    Yikes only 16 weeks - when I entered at Xmas it seemed a long long way away - plenty of time for training, but 16 weeks doesn't seem too far away now . How far should a newbie be running at this stage ?
  • Options
    Hi Jordie

according to the mag they sent, the 'get you round' program starts this comming sunday with a two mile walk /run - doesn't seem enough to me.....

but whos complaining

are you a 1st timer too?
  • Options
    Seems I'm well ahead of schedule !!
    Yes I'm a 1st timer - hadn't ran more than 2-3 miles since school (which was quite a few years ago) till recently.
    All I'm hoping for is being able to say that I ran round the whole 13 miles.
  • Options
    I've not done the GNR yet - my first time is this year. But i can assure you that steep hills do hurt, especially the shins for me! I'm a newbie too and am up to about 4 miles for a long run now (with the odd short walking break)how about you other newbies? Am hoping to make the race without walking breaks but its not looking good, will keep on plodding though!
  • Options
    I've done a few 1 & 1/2 hour runs - but they include quite a few walking breaks. Not sure of the distance covered probably 8 miles ish. Not done more than about 6 miles without walking breaks. I'm now running 3 times a week sundays 1 & 1/2 hour run then wednesdays and fridays 1 hour runs
  • Options
    Wow, you're doing great, much further ahead than me! I managed 3 miles without any breaks last night and actually felt ok so am hoping for 4 miles on friday and then a longer run on sunday.
  • Options
    Do you run by yourself or with a gang of friends?
    Last august I was running 2 - 3 miles 2 -3 times a week on a treadmill in the gym and that was it.
    Then at a friends wedding reception I met some people who invited me to run with them ( after many beers it seemed like a good idea.... when I sobered up I remembered them saying that they had run many marathons - then wasn't so sure ) but it's great as they try and keep me going when I feel like flagging.
  • Options
    I run on my own. I can't get any of my friends to join me, i've tried! I suspect they all think i'm nuts, but so long as they sponsor me i don't mind :-)
  • Options
    I find it so much harder to motivate myself to run. So "well done to you" for doing so well so far !!!
  • Options
    I find it really hard to motivate myself but i just keep thinking of the money i'm raising for charity. My uncle has also agreed to double the amount he sponsors me if i beat him (as i've just found out he's doing it too) so there's an added incentive there!
  • Options
    Try and run with yur uncle, and if you're struggling to keep up (or you're getting near the end , just stick out your foot and trip him up !!!
    (Sorry I suppose that sort of underhand tactic shouldn't be encouraged - even if it does raise more money for charity !)

Can't you use your uncle as a training partner ?
  • Options
    Hehe, that sounds like a good idea! However i suspect he is much faster than me - will have to ask him what he's aiming for. It's a little difficult to train with him as he lives somewhere near London and i'm in West Yorkshire! One of my cousins is doing the race as well, but i know she's much faster than me and super fit. She's also too far away to train with. I think i'll be fine for the race anyway..the adrenaline will be pumping!