Options

Number 2's

I run in the evenings, and always have to go the loo before setting outside the door, else it is embarrising. That's fine, can cope with that. But as life gets so much busier I want to change to a morning run so it's done and I can have the rest of the day and evening for other things.
Problem is, the plumbing department is not towing the party line.
I've tried getting up earlier, later, eating, not eating and sure as anything, partway round the plod, there is increadible stomach cramps, and an unstoppable urge to sit on the white throne!!
Help, its gonna be mornings or the return of the belly!

Comments

• Options
    I really, really sympathise
    ican go in the morning, and still get the urge during running

Try cutting out dairy produce and see if that helps
    I am assuming you "go" before your morning run, have you tried a big cioffee if not?

otherwise, plan a toilet stop into your run
    Thas what I have to do
  • Options
    Its very good for your negative splits I can tell you!

I found that eventually your body learns to "evacuate" before your AM run. So keep them short to start with or laps so you can nip back when required.
    TC
  • Options
    Duck - Many people recommend drinking a cup of coffee first thing as this helps them to get down to fighting weight (if you know what I mean...) before they set out for their morning run.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I am lucky as I live fairly near country routes, but always have to nip behind trees and hedges etc, and just HOPE none decides to walk past with dog. So far I hae been lucky, but I expect the day will come when the dreaded will happen, someone will spy me. I hope I shall be able to look unpreturbed by the incident and pretend I don't care.

I too can go to the loo before going out in the morning for a run and then the running sets off another desire to go again!
  • Options
    better than in the middle of a flipping race ceal
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    yea hippo, i know you have had probs many times in races and that is my one dread, especially in a shorter race like a 10k. For that reason I fear races in the morning.
  • Options
    So tomorrow i'll try the coffee!
    We shall see how it goes and hopefully I will get round the route without too much trouble!!
  • Options
    God running sure throws up it's intimate problems don't it? it's a bit like child birth you soon have to lose your inhibitions.

I think lots of peeps have 'plumbing probs' when mr used to run seriously he always had probs during and especially after runs too.

When he trained for his marathon he pretty much always trained on the tread in gym. Most times he had to stop to take a 'break' but during marathon he had no probs.

Even if coffee doesn't work it's a nice wee caffine boost in the mornings
  • Options
    I've suffered for years.

I decided at the beginning of May to simply reduce the volume of food I was eating especially around mid-day. For early morning runs I simply could not leave the house without taking a dump. This usually meant wasting 1/2 hour circling the bog because even if I didn't feel an immediate need there would be an 'emergency' within 10 minutes of starting a run.

I'm really pleased with the results. I've lost half a stone, bodyfat has gone from 19 to 16% and I can now run anytime of day with reasonable confidence that I won't need a poo.

It's on threads like this that I wish I'd got a cool Runners World pen name.
  • Options
    you can change your name rob
  • Options

At least you haven't got a pic Rob, so you won't be recognised ;)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I'm bad on names Rob!
  • Options
    I agree about having a cool name i would like one of them too...I would like a cool life
  • Options
    Well here's a sort of hybrid cool name.

Can I suggest snacking on dried fruit (or fresh) in the evenings - I'm a devil for Sainsbury's Vanilla Prunes - also apricots, dates, mango etc...

I get up in the morning and can have a really good dump before going running. Bliss!
  • Options
    Well the morning coffee didn't do it nor the banana! Just another wasted hour waiting for the event that never happened! So it was back to the evening run again.
    I'm gonna try the evening dried fruit and maybe a fruit salad next before bed and see if that produces the desired effect.
    Not giving up on those morning plods yet!
  • Options
    what about prunes the night before a run?