Options

taper caper

I have been layed off for 2-3 weeks with a hip injury. With only 1 week left before the edinburgh marathon, how should I use this final week to prepare? I had been on a 3 hour marathon training schedule prior to picking up the injury, and ran the FLM, so I was feeling good. Should I use the standard taper scheduled in my plan or is there a need to put in a medium ranged run?

Comments

• Options
    Gavin,im no expert, but have completed several marathons under 3 hours,and ran the Edinburgh in 1999,my advice would be to take it very easy in the last week ,whatever you do now will not enhance your fitness,and considering your carrying a injury all the more reason to have some rest, just do some easy jogging 2-3-4 miles in the last week,i have never ran more than 5 miles in the last week before a marathon,i know youll feel sluggish, and if your like me possibly quite irritable,but its well wort the wait,save it for the day,if my memory seves me right Edinburgh a fairly tough marathon ,undulating....so good luck mate and enjoy the day.