Options

weight gain...why?!?!

i have fallen out with my wieghing scales.
i have been eating, what i thought was really healthily recently. i have run sensibly!! and i've just put on 3 pounds..and i don't understand!!
any explanations? and muscle density wouldn't make a difference of that much, would it?

Comments

• Options
    measure yourself rather than weigh yourself. If you are running regularly it will make quite a difference. Also i do an out and back run once a month and see what kind of difference there is as your performance can be more improved by weightloss than you think (this isn't bieng rude I hope) if you have a fair amount of weight to lose - as I have.

If I am embarking on a complete get fit and thinner regime I do a complete measure and weigh and the out and back. But tend to rely on the how the clothes feel on trick most.
  • Options
    You won't have put on a lot of muscle particularily if you are a woman and if its only been a few weeks. i am sure you know how hard it is for women to gain muscle pounds - it needs weight trianing really.

But if you have been doing quite high intensity runs rather than long slow runs then the glycogen usage will probably have stimulated your appetite so that you will have eaten a bit more than you think. It will also have stimualted increased storage in your muscles and of course each gramm of carb stored brings with it 3 times that in water. So hopefully this is not a fat gain at all. But of course without a food diary or calorie measure it is difficult to say. However be reassured that there are other reasons for weight gain than simply extra muscle or fat.
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about where you are in your monthly cycle? I put on 3lbs the other week which turned out to be water retention as it had gone the following week because of that time.......
  • Options
    My partner is losing weight steadily. but we see noticable day to day 'random' variation.

To combat this, she weighs herself every day at a consistent time of day. We then use the average of last week and the average of this week to give a more reliable measure of weight change.

Even when the average has reduced by about 1lbs, the lightest day of last week has often been lighter than the heaviest day of this week. So if we'd only been weighing once per week, and had just happened to do it on these days, we would have thought she'd gained weight when really she'd lost 1lbs!
  • Options
    I'd even go further than that, Alex - I now use Pantman's method:

- weigh each day at same time
    - discard the highest and lowest readings for that week
    - average the remaining 5 readings
    - then compare with previous weeks

this has the advantage of discounting readings which are artificially high or low due to fluid retention, dehydration etc.
  • Options
    i'm another weigh every day person. although i don't "average" them as such i plot every days weight on a graph and you can see the change over time.

• Options
    Well actually we do an ANOVA stats test.

Very Simply:
    It shows whether the difference in weight between weeks is statistically significant by looking at the average values and the spread of values.

Not Quite so Simply for Those who are Interested:

It calculates the chances of the weight measurements coming out as they have purely due to the random ups and downs (i.e. if there was no 'real' change in weight). If the chances of this are very low (<5%) then we consider the change in weight to be statistically significant.

• Options
    And heres me thinking minitab and p-values were all useless
  • Options
    I agree with Alex S and LynneW - I'm a daily weigher - first thing in the morning.

I'll add that my daily weight can vary by as much as 3 pounds depending on how hard I'm training. I don't believe I'm dehydrated, but rather I think my muscles retain a bit of fluid if worked hard (not swollen as such, but they can look a bit puffy - like they've lost definition - if that makes sense)

Having switched to daily light runs, rather than my old run hard/rest/hard/rest regime, my weight is now remarkably consistent!
  • Options
    thanks for all your replies...even though alex i've re-read your last post a few times and it still doesn't make any sense to me!! :o)
    i think debbs you might have been right though!! oh the joys of being a woman. but at least it goes!
  • Options
    LP,

I wouldn't worry about it. Its just a mathematical tool. I stick the numbers in and an answer pops out. This answer just says how confident you can be that the weight really has changed.

I'll try to give an example:

The average value on a regular dice = 3.5

If you roll a dice twenty times and average all the numbers you get, you might get an answer of 3.58.

Do the same again and you might get 3.47.

But is this difference meaningful? (i.e. has the dice changed?)

If you were to enter all the numbers into the stats test, it would return a very low %confidence that there was any difference between the two dice (in this case the same dice!)

If you did the same with a dice that had been renumbered 2 to 7 instead of 1 to 6, you'd get an average of near 4.5

Compare the values from the new dice with the values from the regular dice using the stats test and it would give a much higher confidence that the dice were different (even though there would be plenty of overlap in individual values).

My partners weight readings from week 1 are like the numbers from one dice. Her weight readings from week 2 are like the numbers from another dice.

The question "did these weight readings come from people of different weights?" (i.e. has my partner's weight changed?), is just like the question "did these numbers come from di with different values?)

Has this helped at all?
  • Options
    That all sounds very, very complicated.

I just binned the scales. Easy-peasy!
  • Options
    Ditch the scales and rely more on your mirror and measuring tape. If you were a toned size 10 would you care what you weighed?
  • Options
    Weight naturally fluctuates daily, and being a female also your weight depends on your monthly cycle. Hydration is also a big factor 1 litre of fluid taken is equal to 1 kg extra in weight, so this is not a bad thing. I don't think you have anything to worry about if you are eating right and exercising regularly.