Options

Always tired at the end of the week

I am currently a frustrated runner because im finding it very difficult to produce consistant training runs and finding that Saturday morning runs are taking their toll and im not running to my capability.

My current week is :

Monday 10 Mile Easy Run
Tuesday 5 x 1Km efforts short recovery
Wednesday 1 x 1500 x 1 x 1000 x 1 x 500 8 x 250 mtr efforts
Thurday Rest
Friday Steady 5 Mile
Saturday 2 1/2 Mile Effort incorp. 9 Mile Run

Total Milage : 35

I tend to train well Mon, Tues and Weds but then fail to impress on Friday and Saturday.

Can anyone suggest a new training plan in which i will be more consistant over the week.

The only sessions i cannot change is Wednesday and Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    What distance are you training for? and what are your current times, and your target times?
  • Options
    Training for distances 5KM to 10KM, current times 5KM 20 Mins and 10KM 39.40.

Only been running 15 months, i`m 27 yrs old.

Looking at running 35 ish mins for 10Km in the next two yrs.
  • Options
    I often feel tired at the end of the week too. I think your problem might be that you are doing two hard sessions back to back on tuesday and wednesday - its then taking you the rest of the week to recover from then (this is something I used to do, but don't now as it got me injured).

I think you should try moving one of these two speed sessions, and /or making one of them a bit easier (e.g. make tuesday a hilly 5 miler, maybe)

Best wishes

Jules
  • Options
    You need to increase your mileage, your 10 mile run could become a 15 mile run, then introduce a recovery 5/6 miler on tuesday - make sure this is slow running though - your wednesday session will then be better quality. Another recovery run thursday rather than a day off, change the saturday session into a tempo run of up to 10miles. Although running more miles, easy days should be easy, that way you will recover more and in theory not feel so tired. Having said that running sub 35min 10k takes hard work and you cannot avoid tiredness completly.
    Look up any threads relating to Lydiard, or training advice on www.letsrun.com
  • Options
    Hello,
    Obviously I'm not a pro or a coach or anything, but hopefully this might help slightly. I would agree with the other Jules who said that two speed work sessions on consecutive days is tough, and probably isnt doing you as much good as if you seperated them. I know I hurt the day after my speed work and try to fit in a long steady run instead. Can you swop monday and tuesday's sessions. Also..how quickly did you build up to this schedule. If it was quickly, your body might still be catching up with you.

The other thing is considering things like nutrition, sleep and stress. Do you take on proteins as soon as you finish your tougher sessions - this will help reduce leg tiredness as they will be able to rebuild muscle better. Then do you eat balanced and enough calories at regular times? Skipping meals or eating junk has a huge effect on my running. Vitamins could help too. Lack of your nightly 8 hours, and stress at work or at home could also be adding to it. It might not entirely be your training schedule...

• Options
    Thanks for your replies, like i said i have only been running for 15 months. I joined a running club 6 months ago and the coach is pushing me to do 40 miles a week which im trying to build up slowly.

I do eat the right foods, sleep well and drink protein drinks after sessions.

I think its just a case of like you say swopping the teusday hard session to easy and maybe upping the easy runs to longer sessions.

I know i dont have the stamina/endurace but i do have natural speed and its a case of getting the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    Hi there Gary and other Jules.

Your training seems quite like mine, when I was training hard (I managed 38:00 for 10km as 27 yr old women - now 33 and not as fast, but on the comeback).

I actually ran faster (even over short distances like 1500m on track) when I cut out the 2nd track session a week and just did one well - so don't be afraid to try skipping one of those two tough sessions altogether.

I also found cutting one run and doing circuits instead helped my strength and speed. I never ran over 40 miles per week as I tended to get injured easily above that, often less - (long slow runs don't suit all) and my long runs were never above 11-12 miles.

hope this helps and good luck

• Options
    GS2,

So to Summarise:

Your longest run, and your two highest itensity sessions fall on consequetive days (MON, TUE, WED) and you're wondering why you're tired later in the week?!?

And you don't mention Sunday - is that another rest?

• Options
    Alex - Yes Sunday is a rest day. From your experience are you a believer in rest days, i know some runners prefer to run easy miles but for me Sunday is family time.

• Options
    Run as many easy miles as you can fit in and you'll find yourself less tired. Imp has mentioned Lydiard. He wrote about a `tireless state', where you could run miles and miles at strong aerobic pace and still feeling you could do more.
  • Options
    GS2,

Read my first post on a recent thread about whether a recovery run is better than a rest day.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/fm.asp?R=3&T=38935&M=1571268

Can't really give a yes / no answer. Its more of a depends.