Options

What 4.mile am;...blah blah blah, yawn yawn

Ok. Let's really put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Maybe the increasingly common morning post on the 'Daily' thread should read..

"What; 4 miles.
Why; 1) to make sure I am not as fresh for (my inevitable) second run later
2) gets the miles in and make me feel self satisfied
3) 'such and such's' schedule says so".

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the replies!

Comments

• Options
    lol- i'm looking forward to this one :o)
  • Options
    I'm trying to ignore it ;-)
  • Options
    What: 3.5 miles home from work
    Why: Because I want to. And it saves the wife having to come out and pick me up, thus saving on her time, on the cost of petrol (and wear and depreciation) and on environmental damage.

(and it's not even on my self-written training plan)

Is that better?

;-)
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    "What; 4 miles.
    Why; 1) to make sure I am not as fresh for (my inevitable) second run later
    2) gets the miles in and make me feel self satisfied
    3) 'such and such's' schedule says so".
    4) To allow me to repeat the mantra "There's no "d" in pigeon"

;o)
  • Options
    Can't remember the last time I ran 4 miles according to a schedule, but then again I tend to make my own up.

• Options
    Nah, how about

What: 10 miles as fast as I can

Why:

1. so I can get myself injured again and miss a couple of weeks' training?

2. so I can showboat on club runs

3. because it gives me a rare chance to `beat' people who train to a plan

You started it:)
  • Options
    An attempt at semi-serious replies:

”1) to make sure I am not as fresh for (my inevitable) second run later”
    If you are doing your morning runs at an easy pace, you will feel BETTER in the second session, than if you hadn’t run earlier.

Mrs TT raced last night (only trains 20-30 mpw). She was upset that she didn’t have time for an early morning jog before the race. She knows from past experience that you run better if you have been out earlier to ‘loosen up’. For this reason, I try to get out for a jog, even before a 10:00am race. The same applies to training runs.

“2) gets the miles in and make me feel self satisfied”
    If you are motivated by high mileage, 4 ain’t going to do it ;-)
    Yes – you do often feel self satisfied after a training run. One of the great things about this sport is the training.

“3) 'such and such's' schedule says so".
    Learn what people faster than you do. Try it. If it works, adopt it. If it doesn’t, ditch it.
    It’s how we improve.

Tip: don’t have Dave Bedford as your hero…..it messes up your legs ;-)
  • Options
    ooooooooh handbags!
  • Options
    Now then, now then, CALM DOWN!

What: (note the use of a colon, not a semicolon and speech marks, Treadmill) no miles am
    Why:
    1) this evening's run for a leg of the boundary race, Tankersley to Wortley. God, the amount of nettles are going to be horrendous!

2)work to do at work and at home, but can't be bothered to hoover up, let alone a trot.

I like this thread! Let's continue it!

• Options
    Ok Two Ton
    Ill be doing a short run on saturday morning
    If i dont get a pb in the evenings 10k(my first off roader), ill know who to yell at
    ;))))))
  • Options
    I thought the whole point of the thread (the daily one, not this one!) was to be supportive. So if you think that some people are pursuing jaded plans that will do them no good (other than satisfying their ego that they "went for a run") why don't you point it out as constructive criticism?

Rather than being a smart-ass!

I'd have thought people who do two runs a day know what they're doing, people who do junk miles would probably appreciate a little gentle (if unsolicitated), and if someone's following a training plan it's probably been put together by someone who knows a bit about running, what's the problem with that?!

Gordon Bennett!
  • Options
    Great points, TT.

Practically, 4-5 miles is all I have time for most mornings. I'd do more if I could.

The programme I'm on doesn't stipulate twice a day running, it's just what I like to do and starts the day off in the right way mentally. As you say, done at an easy pace it aids the evening run.
  • Options
    Don't worry Bryan, it's just inter-club banter. Both of them train together, so Treadmill is just airing his views. You should see them on club nights!!!
  • Options
    My only complaint about this thread is that it's a serious distraction from doing any work!

Actually did 3 days of "doubles" whilst I was on holiday last week and ran pretty well on them. It's just a shame that I have to fit in work around my training for 46 weeks of the year :o(

• Options
    BR - ROFLMAO! Best post for absolutely ages! Still giggling!

TT - kudos for a sensible, informed answer...

but I still prefer BR's! :-D
  • Options
    N.L., I think I'm glad I don't see them on club nights! :-)
  • Options
    TreadmillTreadmill ✭✭✭
    WOW!
    Expected BR's response. (And it's support from Pantman!). But as he well knows, not all true. Showboating? Was that the 2nd or 3rd club run so far this year for me. And showboating?? Others have been accused of this. Haven't they BR.
  • Options
    I think the exaggeration went both ways.

You train differently.

How about pistols at dawn to settle this, or better still, racing shoes at Abingdon?!?
  • Options
    So, TT (serious training question, because I do value the opinions of those faster than me, and their schedules!):

I'm a morning runner, who's just starting to run the 3.5 miles home from the office at 17:00 as a bit of additional steady mileage. I've got a 10k race coming up soon, at 19:45 in the evening. Is it too little rest inbetween to run home then race, or would a nice slow and steady 3.5 miles warm me up nicely?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sod comradeship and support...

This kind of banter is what we join running clubs for.....

Even better over a few beers

;-)
  • Options
    Two Ton
    Im expecting that pb on saturday;)
  • Options
    (Or maybe a short morning run that day instead)
  • Options
    My last post was meant to be appended to my one before that!

It'd be good to see a few grudge matches at Abingdon (although I know that you'll have finished and gone home before I cross the line, and I'll just be reading about it the next day...)
  • Options
    SVT - yes the short morning run would be better. I like to have at least 3 hours between runs (mainly for refuelling)

Hippo - no problem (but couldn't you have found a nice flat road 10k to take the pressure off)
    ;-)

• Options
    no
    and i havent had a rest for 13 days
    mwhahahahahahaha
  • Options
    SVT - there is NO WAY that I will being going home before the last forumite crosses the line. No way! I'll be cheering you home, mate...
  • Options
    and you'll be back before me anyway SVT
  • Options
    Excellent!

(You did see what time the last forumite crossed the line last year, didn't you?!)

I'll have to make sure the wife knows that she's not just driving me there, waiting (less than) 4 hours, then driving me home again - there'll also have to be catch-up with all the forumites. Maybe over a pint or two (of your chosen sports drink, naturally).
  • Options
    Hippo, 13 days without a rest??

You'll get people starting threads called

`Last rest - xx days, yawn yawn blah blah blah'.

You coming tonight then Treadmill?

TT, do you have anything planned next Friday as I am in Guildford?
  • Options
    BR - sounds good

Drop me an email