Options

Early morning speed?

Hi All

I am currently traing for 10kms races over the summer looking to do around 41min. Have trained for several years and this time I am trying to stick regularly to 2 speed sessions a week (total mileage around 40pw). I usually rotate 8-12x1min hills /fartlek, 30 min tempo and 5x1000m ints. Did the intervals earlier this week so need to do either tempo or hills tomorrow. Unfortunately due to commitments only time to train is 7.30am. Have run easy 5 milers first thing in the morning before and half enjoy them but never a quality session. Which would be most effective and less likely to cause injury?

I am sure plenty of forumites consider such obstacles round training all the time - its something the magazines rarely look at and elite runners neednt worry about!

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers

Tim

Comments

• Options
    Personally I wouldn't try to do a hard session at that time. I'm not a 'morning' person anyway, I'd feel too stiff, wouldn't be able to get the speed up and then feel disappointed anyway. The 5 mile easy would probably feel quite hard for me at that time! I don't think you'd lose anything by dropping to one speed session this week

Jules
  • Options
    Apparently statistics show:
    runners who run in the morning
    a) get more injuries , but
    b) are more likely to stick to a plan
    than runners who go later in the day

not sure where i read it, but it was somewhere that had done some real research ...