Options

Rest Days??

I've noticed that a few runners aren't having a rest day in like 15-20 days. How long do you leave it for your rest day? So far I've gone 7 days and I thought that was bad....

Comments

• Options
    Only when needed. My body will tell me when I set out the door on a given day and things aren't right.

Otherwise, there's no point having a rest day for the sake of it. Easy aerobic running will make you a better runner in the long term.
  • Options
    BR - I know you've been running for a good while. Were you like this at the start, or have you built up to this after many years ?
  • Options
    I started running in October 1999. I started running twice a day after my first marathon in Oct 2001 and combined it with no rest day for over 300 days (the Ron Hill approach).

After trying to run through illness and making it worse I cut that but generally run every day. It's usually about 30 days between rests.
  • Options
    Cougie : I usually try and have a rest day at least once a week as I thought your muscles needed a day to rebuild themselves and for your body to get it's fitness.

I've done 7 days this week just because I've had nothing better to do! Don't feel at my full energy when training though, will rest tomorrow.
  • Options
    i have a rest day when i have a hangover...
  • Options
    BR: I really don't think that I could manage to run everyday. I look forward to having a rest day to be honest!
    I'm interested in how you cope though. For instance do x-train or do any gym work? Have you easy days scheduled in - and how long would you run on these days?
  • Options
    Cookie Monster - go for a run.....it helps to clear a hangover
  • Options
    I usually train like this:

Mon: Long run 10 mile plus

Tue: 4-5 mile run at lunch. Gym in the evening usually 40-50 minutes of x-training plus weights.

Wed: Long run 10 mile plus

Thur: 4-5 mile run at lunch. Gym in the evening usually 40-50 minutes of x-training plus weights.

Fri: 5-6 mile run

Sat: Usually rest, but usually run 6 mile if feel like it.

Sun: 5-6 mile run plus 40 min swim.
  • Options
    I always have a rest day at least once a week. I enjoy it, and think I need it to keep me fresh.

But if BR listens to his body as well, then that's fine.
  • Options
    yep SHE does....as some weeks I have good ones and others I struggle. This week I'm having a good week, love it when that happens :o)
  • Options
    As a beginner, I train 3 x per week, but am now at the stage where I'm thinking of x-training inbetween. As I have a stationary bike at home, will be using that on Tues & Thurs, with total rest over the w/e (for the moment!!).

Can't imagine running for 300 days with no kind of break at all...

Bitten by the bug, but not THAT much (yet!) :-)
  • Options
    Oops - sorry Blonde Runner- I kinda guessed you were a ladeeee. I was referring to Barnsley Runner. Who is a blokeeee.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Barnsley R is right, you should listen to your body, on the other hand you shouldn't become obsessive about not missing a day (now that is the Ron Hill approach!). When I started back two years ago I went 141 days without missing a day, got totally kn@ckered and ended up with an overuse injury. Now I listen to body (sometimes it shouts very loudly) and I normally rest about evey 18-20 days.

The more, and the harder you train, the more attuned you become to your body. A very easy recovery run is, I think, just as beneficial as a day off (If not more so BR?). Sometimes these runs can very slow - normally after speed or speed/indurance sessions. Some very experienced runners regard their long run as a recovery run, but that's very much a personal thing.

The only time one should unequivacably (sic) rest is when you are suffering from an injury that would be worsened if you continued to run on it. However if you know your body well enough such injuries can often be "managed" by careful running.

As with everything to do with running there is no right or wrong approach - it very much depends how your body responds to the training demands you put on it.
  • Options
    Agree Tom, although I'd add if you are running a temperature or your RHR is 10 bpm+ over normal.

That's what ended my streak - went out one evening to trot 1 mile to keep it going and thought of the risks to my long term health and my family's happiness. Stupid thing to do.

Yes often the easy paced run is far better than rest.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Thanks, BR what are your thoughts about the long run as recovery.

I think the real problem serious runners suffer from is that the forces (obsession - yes I think so)that make us train every day, come hell or highwater, are the same forces that make us train on injuries and ignore the symptoms of overtraining. It is so hard to stand back and be objective about it. Ironically (sic) when disaster strikes one look at the training diary and the reasons are blindingly obvious.

Despite the above, I think that the popular running press do tend to err on the side of over caution when giving advice on training and resting.
  • Options
    thats cos the popular running press is often aimed at beginner runners
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree that's where the market is. Can anyone recommend any publications aimed at the serious runner, in the way that British Runner did before it became a lifestyle magazine
  • Options
    no

this is the problem i think

im not a serious runner, but can see there is a big gap for those who are

but, there arent enough of you to makre a market

or are there?????????
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hippo

I'm sure that the serious runner is too small a demographic to be of any interest to a mass market publication. I suspect that why British Runner went the way it did. I think (but I may be wrong) that it was originally published by Descartes Publishing who also publish Athletics Weekly. It was then sold to Realrunner who realligned the mag to more popular market.

If I try to answer my own question, the only publication that fits the serious runner bill is Peak Performance, available by subscription only, but that's coaching issues only.

That leaves the forum as the best (and very good it is too) place for serious runners to meet and exchange information and advice.

I've only been posting for a couple weeks, but have been lurking for a couple of months, and I know the threads and the contributors whose opinions and advice I find most helpful and respect the most.

Also I'm sure you'll agree that the creation of the Mike Gratton coaching threads is a brilliant idea.
  • Options
    I certainly do agree

i read, and marvel
  • Options
    Tom, I tend to alternate long runs as easy off road efforts and runs with spurts of higher HR efforts, a work sessions (don't like the term `speedwork'). If the run becomes very long - up to 2 hours then you start to utilise fast twitch muscles as you slow twitch ones become tired so it does not become a recovery run.

As well as this forum, there's also www.letsrun.com which although having a lot of US high school mentality does have some excellent threads.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR Thanks for the info

Tom
  • Options
    BR

Would that forum be ok for plodders like me/
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, another aspect of the long run I would like your advice on. My training is based aroound the principles advocated by Pfitzinger, and by association Daniels. Part of this approach is a second long run in the week of about 13 miles. It's, I suppose, a tempo run - but that a description that I'm not to happy with. My race pace for 10 miles is 6:05, and I run a weekly session of 5 miles at this pace which is anaerobic threshold pace. This second long run is run at 6:30 to 6:40 pace which I suppose would be equivalent to marathon pace. However as I have no aspirations to this distance yet, I'm wondering what benefit I'm getting from running this session. Incidentally I enjoy the session as Its the nearest I get to a weekly "eyeball out run"
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hippo i have lurked on that said orum, maybe even made the odd post
  • Options
    BR (and anyone else who trains twice a day), how quickly did you go from training once a day to running say, 5 days of twice a day?
  • Options
    Tom, I tend to have 2 semi-long runs in the week which I split into tempo sessions of maybe 3 x 20 mins or 4 x 12 mins at 10-20 secs slower than MP. I find these very beneficial and don't tend to do any anaerobic running except races.

Hippo, there's threads on there for all -just browse and jump in when you've something to add.

Dipsy, it just seemed to happen around Oct 2001 after reading Ron Hill. It was a half term so I took the opportunity to push the boat out a little - no rest and twice a day.
  • Options
    What is a serious runner?
  • Options
    Someone who runs to improve their performance in races?
  • Options
    Tom S/BR
    this is very interesting. I would really appreciate your opinions, if you wouldn't mind.

I quote from Tom; 'However if you know your body well enough such injuries can often be "managed" by careful running'.

I am desperate to run but have tried to be sensible. Due to lack of experience, in realising soon enough that my shoes needed replacing, I ended up with a very sore left hip. The last run i did, my whole leg was shaking at the end. I have to admit I did ignore the niggles for a couple of weeks. I last ran on Wednesday and I REALLY want to run tomorrow. I hate not running!

Is it just a case of 'who knows give it a go?'. Or am I going to just aggrevate it again?

I wish I had the experience to know my body well enough but I don't. All I can say is it's not throbbing anymore!

Rest or run? Knowing me I'll run anyway!