Options

Running/cycling past ramblers

Being a liberal minded kind guy, I've got no objection to most things but should these guys be allowed on Public Bridleways?

Or should they be allowed, period?

Comments

• Options
    Who? The cyclists or the ramblers?
  • Options
    Ramblers?

Not really fussed either way, just think there should be clauses in the countryside law regarding sandals and socks fashion, collective tutting, waving of sticks, etc.

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I use ramblers for my speedwork.
  • Options
    Your supposed to do it yourself.
  • Options
    mmmm, could go either way with this.

On the one hand, I went out for a long cycle with Mr A at the weekend along a cycle path (one of the national network ones) and was belting down a hill on it when I surprised a group of ramblers - braked and shouted 'sorry!' and was nowhere near hitting them or even causing them to break stride, but one of them started shouting at me to the tune of 'shouldn't be allowed, no consideration' blah blah - I just cycled off down the CYCLE path and held my peace.

But then, when rude cyclists cut me up I curse them and shout at them.

Maybe my problem is that I always have to be right :)

• Options
    tee-hee,

but is it possible to ride past a group of ramblers and not get that reaction - "one of them started shouting at me to the tune of 'shouldn't be allowed, no consideration' blah blah"

Cyclists and runners dont hurt ramblers, so why do they moan soooo much?

• Options
    ....just mind out for the horse poo. It's everywhere.
  • Options
    Yes Dodge, but horse poo dosen't collectively tut, does not wear white socks and brown sandles, does not wave sticks about, does not obstruct the bridleway, etc, etc.

In terms of messing up the countryside - horse poo vs ramblers - horse poo is positively beautiful.

• Options
    with you gary, I'll take the poo over the knee socks every time!

(should I rephrase that? nah)

• Options
    when i'm 106 yers old and passed all this sillyness ... i think i'll become a rambler

:o)
  • Options
    much worse than ramblers are chav families in 'sanitised' areas who leave all the getes open

eg ones who drive to rutland water, walk a whopping 300 yards and back to their cars, but still manage to let all the sheep out
  • Options
    Worst still are those that get all the best parking spots, open their lunch bags and flasks with the doors open and eat their luch and drive off again.

Personally I find nothing more reqarding than passing mtb'ers up a steep hill shouting something like 'lovely morning' with apparent ease whilst they're crippled in pain trying to get their bike up. Why do people insist on bringing 20kg or metal with them on the hills ?
  • Options
    cos its great going down the other side
  • Options
    Andrew, 20kg?

Yes agreed there isn't much better things in life than a bowel wrenching descent, horse poo or no horse poo. Even better if you get a group of ramblers coming the other way (makes note to start up organised rambling hols in Morzine).
  • Options
    Best case scenario for you Gary: barrelling down a bridleway full tilt, with helmet, group of ramblers ahead. Ramblers clear to either side of bridleway. As you close you notice that it was not altruism but that the centre of the bridleway is thick with horse poo. Fingers hover momentarily over the brakes but you charge straight through instead, looking back to see horse poo covered ramblers shaking collective fists.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Dodge.

Marry me.
  • Options
    ...but what would Mr Jj say?
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I don't think he fancies you.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nice one Dodge,

I would have to be careful not to laugh though. Open mouth, wet horse poo stuck in between front tyre treads, yum...

I would always be suspect at a gaggle of ramblers making way though.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly (being an ex voluntary countryside ranger and all <so that means nothing>), it is probably a bye law that says non pedestrians must give way to foot. But being a bye law probably means nothing either.

............So I came to a dogleg on a countryside path, trying to get a bp for the 0.9 mile split when a garotting couplet (that's a man with a dog on an extendable lead for the uninitiated)traversed my exit.

I slammed on the brakes broadsiding the pair of them covering them in dust, stopping within inches of them. I apologised saying that perhaps, on reflection, maybe I shouldn't have been going so fast, but I did stop in a controlled manner.

Well' the mouthful that came back, I coudn't believe it. So, I told him to 88ck off, him and his garotting dog

......and why do dog owners have to conduct their social across the entire width of the path, look at you, then pretend they've not seen you

......and why do dog owners have to collect their dogsh8t in a blue bag, carsfully knot it then hang it from a branch, tw@s!.... and they've tossed them into my back garden too!

• Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    I thought aloud

early this morning

as I ran along a narrow part of the cycle path (that leads to the wider rougher beach / cycle path)

"get out of the way dogs" I muttered (I've had bother before, ought to be on leads at this narrow part)

ooooopppss!!

"WHAT DID YOU SAY??" said the owner, insulted, indignant at apparent lack of respect

but I had whoooshed past

now if I'd been on my bike - I would have been going twice as fast

so when it comes to moving creatures, the pecking order on the cycle paths / towpaths is:

DOGS
    SMALL PLAYFUL HUMANS
    LARGER WALKING HUMANS
    RUNNING HUMANS
    CYCLISTS

it's the only way

BLOODY DOGS
  • Options
    No, Ramblers would have stood around 'tutting' whilst waving sticks, muttering how fast you were going. You would have been startled by the dazzling array of Rambler fashion and gone head first into a tree. Happens every time.

I'll take the dog.

• Options
    If we made good tarmac byapasses with wide concrete cycle paths and foot paths over all the hills and countryside we wouldn't have this problem.
  • Options
    "concrete" yuk. That would ruin our bridleways.

Oops sorry, didnt see you are from Birmingham so must be partial to concrete everywhere.

:-))

Joke btw
  • Options
    LOL

I always move over for bikes when I'm running, I know how awkward walkers can be from when I used to mtb.
    Some mtbers really are stupid and rude though, normally the ones who can't ride and are out of control which makes it worse, which gives the sport its bad reputation.
  • Options
    The wheel wobblers,

Yes, you get them on Richmond Park. Full-sussers, cant move off the track to go on the grass.

I still think it is fair game to tear past groups of ramblers though.

• Options
    I bet you'll be a rambler one day Gary:)

Can't wait till I retire and can go round in red wooly socks shouting at young people and waving a big walking stick.
  • Options
    Oooo, just imagine.

Half pint of Old Speckled Hen barman,