Options

Polar s625x

Comments

• Options
    Thanks agenda and John Toon 2! That's really nice to hear! I think I have to go and get some extramoney somewhere. I don't mean to rob a bank, though. ;) As a student it's just not so easy to buy this expensive thing... And John, it was a marvellous explanation about pace and speed.

It sounds like too perfect little thing, why it's not any worse. So I didn't want to buy it...

Let's make a competition; who can get the greatest speed on the display! When I've got mine I'll surely score over 23 mph. :p ...'cause I'm so happy then.
  • Options
    Thanks to tallbird also. I didn't see your post.

Hmm.. good point:
    "I think (correct me if I'm wrong) your speed is the average for the run (?) and pace is right now.

Did I make that up?"

Anybody?
  • Options
    Just went out for a run tonight, and again the current speed on the watch was all over the place. Ranged from 1mph to 8mph, it's very disappointing. I will try a new battery tomorrow, but the battery in it at the moment is new (as supplied with the watch). When downloading it to my pc, the speed and distance again is all over the place. Should i calibrate it ? And can i calibrate on a running machine as I have no running tracks near me. Also, does the foot pod need to be fixed securely, it's quiet secure at the moment, but there is a little play.

One other thing, can any help me with setting up a training program. I want to configure a interval run based on heart rate and distance. e.g :1 mile at 65%, 1mile at 80%,1mile at 65. Can i program this into the s625x ?
  • Options
    This is a great thread and really helpful.

I read a few posts about using the watch for interval workouts. It sounded like people weren't really happy with the watch because of the beeping during the recovery, etc.

Has anyone else tried the watch for interval or fartlek workouts? I have a S120 right now and it is a pain to have to manually switch between zones when the intervals change.
  • Options
    hi all - breakthrough!! I calibrated mine last night over 500m and then ran it twice - spot on! I think I'll leave my trusy old pedo home tonight ... it feels like taking the stabilisers of your first bike!

I have all sorts of new 'beep's' that i didn't have on the 610 - but I think i just need to sit down and switch off stuff on the exercises ... long run last night and it bleeped every 60 secs,

oooh i'm having so much fun ....
  • Options
    Thanks Tailbird! In the speed options menu I found it a bit confusing that to choose an option you have to press the 'stop/exit' button rather than 'OK'.

I am undecided on whether to wear the footpod for the Dublin marathon. The extra information is nice, but is it worth carrying the extra weight for 26 miles?
  • Options
    Kanman

I normally use the interval timer but unfortunately the warm up and cool down bits which I would use for the 65% bit can only be set for time or manual. The only way to get round it is to set them to manual then start the interval when you hit a mile. I've had a look at the none interval bit but you can only specify HR or pace limits for set times.
    Are you following the 'Heart monitor training for complete idiots' schedule because I have to do exactly the same thing :-)
  • Options
    I would have to wear mine for the marathon.
    I wear it in all races - even though I don't really look at anything but the split times on my watch (good to have 'real' split times though - measured at accurate intervals rather than on the sometimes oddly placed distance markers) - I just can't resist it - really I just like looking at the graphs afterwards :)
  • Options
    With 369 posts so far, I hope I can be forgiven for not wadding through them all.

Has anyone had any real problems with the pod and strap, I've just had to send mine back to Polar, the pod stopped working (yes I changed the battery) and the right tab on the strap cracked. Customer services told me a number of the initial straps have been faulty, but I've had the first pod problem.
  • Options
    Tallbird,
    Regarding to this ..."If you don't want to use the SDM bit, you need to turn the running speed off - either via the options menu, or by holding down the bottom right hand button and cycling through from ru to b1, b2 and finally you should get a couple of straight lines showing that all speed functions are off"....I couldn't turn the Speed off while i'm running....do I have to stop the watch fist???
    Bob kite and Kan Man, i've asked the Polar guys about "interval or fartlek workouts" and the answered me that the only way to program this kind of training whith different limits it was by using the warm up, interval and cool down phases.....it's a little bit disappointing... I would have preffer to set more limits than only three...
  • Options
    Saga - you can turn the speed off in measuring mode but not recording mode, by holding down the bottom right button. I've not done this mid-run so I don't know how it affects the final file information.
  • Options
    With regard to the earlier questions on speed and pace. Both as shown on the display are supposed to be realtime measurements (excepting occasional lags due to the sample rate). Therefore the speed is supposed to represent your current mph or kph speed and the pace is supposed to represent your current minutes per mile or minutes per km assuming that the whole distance is run at that "pace". The reason I say "supposed" is because that's what polar told me, although I sometimes experience some crazy speed readings.

With reference to the question on a heart rate interval based on 1 mile at 85% followed by 1 mile at 65% etc. I have adopted a kind of "cheats" approach of this kind of interval based on what can be done with the device. Basically, from experience and checking out my graphs etc. I know roughly the pace/distance/heart rate relationships of my running style. If I want to do an interval along the lines you indicate I would set a distance based interval of 1 mile with pace limits of 8 min/mile (because I know that the pace which gives me a HR of between 82-87% is 8 min/mile) I would then set recovery at 1 mile and basically just jog slow (because I know that after a mile at 85% no matter how slow I go I aint gonna get to 65% anyway so I'll just jog slow as the recovery. Not very technical I'm afraid but it works for me. My favourite interval using the HRM is the YASSO 800's one from Runners World, this one incorporates a warmup followed by up to 10 800m intervals at a "minutes version" of marathon pace (ie. If you want to run a marathon in 3 hours 30 mins. then you should aim to do 10 800m intervals in 3mins 30 secs. each. with jogged recoveries of 3mins 30 secs between each interval. On the HRM you set up your interval as distance based, 800m. You then set pace limits of 4 min. 22sec per km(which equates to 3 min 30 for 8oom (obviously a bit of maths is required to do your conversions). You then set timed recoveries of 3mins 30 secs and finally a cooldown, Bingo, Yasso 800's without a running track, any park,footie pitch etc. will do.

Sorry for the long post, got a bit carried away.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm, ran a 10k race this morning and the total distance was measured at 7.27 miles!

The slightly encouraging news is that the error seemed to be consistent for each mile, but given the accuracy claims, an error of 17% was a surprise (I run neutrally). Time to head to the track for some serious testing....
  • Options
    You should be encouraged, because if the error factor was consistent per mile, after calibration you should therefore get very accurate and reliable results... Given the large variation of running styles/gaits and people's differing body dimensions, I think it is unrealistic to hope that it will deliver accurate results "out of the box" for everyone without calibration. Those of us who get good results before any calibration (like me) should consider ourselves lucky...

I'm pleased to report that I am continuing to get very consistent results, with it always reporting the same distance for certain set runs that I do, irrespective of the pace or which direction I run the loop in. I reckon mine is pretty close, but hopefully I'll manage to get down to my local track this week and calibrate it to get the accuracy really nailed down.
  • Options
    Yes, as long as the error factor is consistent then it won't be a problem.

More a case of expectations management - Polar claim that in general you can expect 97% accuracy out of the box.
  • Options
    "Polar claim that in general you can expect 97% accuracy out of the box"

Really? Yes, well, I think that is rather over-optimistic of them!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    lotc, the course may have been a measured 10K but were you changing tack a lot to overtake, or not taking the very shortest route on bends etc etc? Is it possible that that would add an extra mile? Just a thought.
  • Options
    There is a new update on polar.fi dated 29th september, this adds a "pace" line to the graphs and some other tweaks.
  • Options
    Took mine to the track the other day to calibrate. As you may have read I have ran two half marathons with it and the first gave a measurement of 12.6 miles, the great north run gave a measurement of 12.3 miles, although all my shorter runs near home appeared accurate and distances were consistent run to run.

HEre's the interesting bit.......I calibrated it over 1600m and ran 4 exaxt laps of the track trying to remain uniformly 8inches or so from the inside rail of the inside lane (this is where the 400m is measured to on a bonafide track). Anyway this gave me a calibration factor of 999 and I did it twice for the same result. This shows me that the monitor is virtually spot on accurate. What it also shows me is that the half marathon distances I ran were not 13.1 miles. I would never have thought that I could convert the GNR into a 12.3 mile run, I must have a tendancy to taking the inside line on corners or something!
  • Options
    Unless your running style on the 400m track is different from that on the road...

I've just acquired one and clearly need to calibrate it - it described a (measured by bike accurately) 5 mile run as 6.2 miles - over 20% out. The altimeter was spot on, however and gave a wonderful route profile when downloaded.

Most of my running is done on forest tracks with lots of ups and downs. I don't think that running 400m or multiples thereof round a track equates to the sort of running I do every day. A usual run can mean a very slow and steep 500 feet climb followed by a high speed descent, and I suspect that this is probably pushing the limits of what one could expect. Not only is my pace changing, but because of uneven ground my footfall and take-off are going to be variable too.

My proposed calibration method is to measure a 2 km loop with ups and downs on the bike (several times for accuracy) and use this as the basis for the calibration factor.

Even if I only get rough accuracy with the speed/distance thingy, I'm pleased with the altitude v HR optins.
  • Options
    Saga ...I think Tallbird wants the SDM functions on but she doesn’t necessarily look at them during the run but to look and analyze afterwards on the computer.

Test-drove mine at Baxter’s Loch Ness Marathon yesterday. Will report back when Ive looked more closely at the results .... First impressions are that it performed admirably
  • Options
    Muttley - the field was only 200 people, so I doubt I could have run that much over the distance. Did do a lot of overtaking though as I ran the first two miles 20% too slow!!!

Greyhound - Agree that it's best to have the watch calibrated to its performance in use rather than in a different environment. Given that my current targets involve road races, I guess I will look to calibrate off those measurements (accepting that you will almost always run slightly over distance). Will try 20 laps on the track at different paces tommorow though just to try and work out how consistent the error factor is relative to speed.

Am also going to look to try the sdm on my left foot soon. Has anybody noticed whether left/right foot makes much of a difference?
  • Options
    Just ordered mine today! :D

Can't wait!

• Options
    Hello.

Here's a thing - I thought Polar claimed the S625x was 97% accurate out of the box - but actually, on the product itself - it says 97% accurate "after callibration".

Interesting.

lotc - interestingly, I find that the foot pod is 'better' on my left foot. I know I do different things with my feet when they are off the floor on one side and the other, so maybe that's why.

Bought some rechargeable AAAs now. Don't care about battery life any more :)
  • Options
    They are still claiming 97% uncalibrated and 99% calibrated on their website:

http://www.polar.fi/polar/files/4Zjpy9Qds/LiftupAttachment/Polar_S625X_Running_Computer_FAQ.pdf

I noted a difference of 2% when I ran the same route twice. This is acceptable, but would like to do a bit more testing before my mind's completely at ease.
  • Options
    Eeyin

I've just looked back on some of the earlier posts and note your comments about using it for Ben Lomond & Ben Nevis.

How did the figures compare to what you would have expected? Was the summit half way on the results graph or was it confused by short strides / slower pace for first half and long strides / faster pace thereafter? What about immersion (as one who fell in the Red Burn trying to take a shortcut many years ago!)?

PS - Also found a way to impress with high total distance. Simply record your run in km and switch to miles when you get back. Lo! 10km becomes 10 miles and no extra effort involved! Bit disappointed with this finding as my Garmin eTrex GPS has no difficulty in converting units.
  • Options
    Hmm, I've read all of this thread and the Forerunner one and if the S625x reckons the GNR is 12.3 miles *after* calibration I think I'll go with the forerunner and wear my old Polar HRM on my other wrist. Or maybe hold on for a non-buggy version.
  • Options
    I Got mine back yesterday... I had send it back to polar because the speed/distance measurement was very spikey and irregular. It was imposible to determin the calibration factor. It also depended on the running style forefoot or heel landing made a verry big difference.

Polar replaced the footpod so I guess that should solve the problem.

This evening I'm going to give it another try and hope I will get within 3% accuracy.

Maarten

• Options
    Gadget-m, tell us later how it did.

Monkey, I haven't read all of the forerunner thread. But I believe that 625 is miles ahead of Forerunner. One run doesn't tell the truth. You have read in this thread how well Polar has done with some users - less than 1% fault. How good Forerunner usually does in runs?

Btw. forerunner looks like a one from the scifi movies. Anyway, Polar will be my choice, when I have the money... :(
  • Options
    I am still hving problems with my footpod. Again the speed and distance measurements are so irregular. I contacted Polar who suggested I calibrate the device. So yesterday I went to calibrate, but when i switch on the footpod,instead of the usual blinking green light, i got a solid green light followed by "check sensor" on the watch display. Removed the battery from the sensor several times. It finally started working, but don't know why. So I start and completed the whole calibration process, as recommended by polar. I switch the footpod off, switched it back on and again a solid green light. I was fuming. Left it alone and carried on training. Got home and did the same process as before by removing the battery several times and it's working again. Help! This thing is driving me mad, prior to calibration the s/d was all over the place, and now it has a intermittent problem when switching on. Any ideas ?