Options

Skin probs?

This isn't an injury problem as such I suppose, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has skin troubles linked to running? I suffer from eczema, not much, mainly in the crook of my elbows and behind my knees etc., but I find the (copious amounts of) sweat associated with running really irritates it making time spent streaching afterwards really uncomfortable. Any advice anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Could be a fungal infection or allergy to your own sweat. Try Caneston Hydrocortisone cream I find it helps.
  • Options
    I don't have the same problem as you but my skin gets very itchy due to a combination of eczema and sweat while running ....

I find carrying a small absorbant towel and gently drying myself off by patting helps. Lots of moisturiser (diprobase is great) before you run can be good too (tho it can get a bit slimy).

One thing about steroid creams, they work and clear things up but in the long term they can thin the skin so be wary of using them every day for long periods of time. (1% hydrocortisone cream is ok but the stronger one's obviously have more of an effect).
  • Options
    If you want a really natural cream for the eczema, my sister uses Lush's Dream Cream on my middle nephew - he had really, really bad eczema, and a few months of treatment with this product has cleared him up a treat!! And it smells fab too!!
  • Options
    I have had the problem for a number of years and occasionally it crops up but in different areas of my body!

I would be very wary of using any off the shelf products as they can have the reverse effect and make matters much worse.

Get it diagnosed by a doctor - as has already been said Hydocortisone creams are the best bet but they can thin the skin
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I've been on steroid creams from the doctor for a number of years and it's all pretty well under control- apart from the whole sweat issue. Caneston is not something I've tried though, I think that's a really good idea as steroids would make a fungal allergy worse. I'll definately give that a go, and a towel is also worth a try too. Cheers!!
  • Options
    Try e45 shower emoilent. I find this works great after running through grass when my legs get so itchy and stingy. I also get stinging behind knees, hands etc. I just use E45 for all these problems. Only time use steroid cream is when I get sebaceous dermatitis outbreaks on my face, but my new boots cleansing routine seems to be preventing this at the mo.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Lush's Dream Cream gets another vote here. My nephew, aged 11, has awful eczema and this keeps it in check.

I get patches of eczema and find Eumovate is good if the usual hydrocortisone doesn't clear it.
  • Options
    glad to know it's not just me with the itchy skin!

MM- I used e45 as an emolient for years until I realised half my problem was that I was allergic to the lanolin in the cream. If you find that happens with you, I can reccoment aqueous cream which you can also buy fairly cheaply

thanks for reccomending lush, however I have to avoid things that contain perfume as I'm generally allergic to them too unfortunately. Makes being girly very boring.

• Options
    Time for me to wave the Aqueous Cream flag again! It's not an eczema treatment but is very good for dry skin. I get very sore eyelids and cheeks when I run and a little of this is fab! I take a little pot with me on my long runs. It's water based so, unlike Vaseline, you can sweat through it and it doesn't clog your pores. Also, it can be used as a wash and leaves your skin feeling lovely and soft and you don't get that horrible "tight" feeling that you can get with some soaps or face washes. It's dirt cheap, too - a huge tub costs just over £2 (it comes in a small tube, too. You get it over the counter at Boots. Also, if rub some into your feet before a run - when you remove your shoes and socks your feet are lovely and soft! Great now the summer is here girls and we want to show off our tootsies!
  • Options
    J Mo and Shambler, have you ever tried diprobase? It's like aqueous cream but slightly thicker, has all the great properties of aqueous cream (water based etc) and for me it's slightly less slimy.
    You can buy it over the counter or get it prescribed. I use 500ml piston packs which are good :)

If, like many people with eczema you have other troubles as well like athsma and hayfever or other allergies, you can pay a one off payent of about £90 for your prescriptions for the whole year and use as much aqueous cream or diprobase as you want for no extra cost :)
  • Options
    Thanks for that, icklechick - I shall check it out.
  • Options
    thanks icklec, i'll definately ask the doc about it. I too have the whole shebang (asthma, eczema, hayfever, miscellanous allergies to strange things) and get a hell of a lot on prescription. The pre-payment certificates are great, I always stretch my ever shrinking student budget to get one and stock up!
  • Options
    Is there any advance technology with faster time recovery that available on the market other than cream/gel that can help with the poor skin condition ? It's nearly 2020 , there must be something rite ?
  • Options
    I have suffered from, well to be fair, horrendous eczema problems. I was even hospitalised for a week at one point. There is not much I haven't tried. Went down the medical route and thanks to that I am now basically addicted to the steroid creams and am hit with red rash syndrome if I stop using but anyway.....

Obviously everyone is different but this works for me....

I have done a fair bit of research into digestive health and after trying different things I find if I am eliminate sugar from the diet there is a MASSIVE improvement in my skin to the point I can live a normal life again. If I take it one step further and give up carbs and starchy foods as well my energy levels go through the roof and my skin is amazing. I love my food though and struggle with giving the two up. I can manage giving up the sugar 90% of the time though and try and cut back as much as possible on carbs and it makes such a difference.

If anyone reading this is suffering from eczema give this a go and I would love to see if it helps you
  • Options
    I have suffered from, well to be fair, horrendous eczema problems. I was even hospitalised for a week at one point. There is not much I haven't tried. Went down the medical route and thanks to that I am now basically addicted to the steroid creams and am hit with red rash syndrome if I stop using but anyway.....

Obviously everyone is different but this works for me....

I have done a fair bit of research into digestive health and after trying different things I find if I am eliminate sugar from the diet there is a MASSIVE improvement in my skin to the point I can live a normal life again. If I take it one step further and give up carbs and starchy foods as well my energy levels go through the roof and my skin is amazing. I love my food though and struggle with giving the two up. I can manage giving up the sugar 90% of the time though and try and cut back as much as possible on carbs and it makes such a difference.

If anyone reading this is suffering from eczema give this a go and I would love to see if it helps you