Options

The GET YOU ROUND Marathon Schedule

Comments

• Options
    Hi again all, seem to have missed a lot by not logging on yesterday!

fatlump - the free food thing does seem odd but it does seem to work. EP's idea is a good one. I tend to make up a big bowl of cous cous salad up on monday and then have it for lunch during the week... on the beer front, I find that its quite easy to have no sins at all during most of the week so that you can have at least one blow-out at the w/e!!

Evil P - If I don't get in to London my friend and brother have said they'll do Paris with me... you're more than welcome to join us!

I managed to get out for 30 mins again last night before getting soaked :( Am planning a longer session over the weekend.

God, this is a long one, better get back to work!
  • Options
    Back again. Been away for a few days. Managed to get a run in on Saturday. Very muddy and raining but good fun. Not sure how the weight is going too scared to get on scales.
    Who is going out tonight and how far are people running now.
  • Options
    Bondi - I've only just re-started running and this morning was my third time out and managed to run 1 min/walk 1 min/run 7 mins/walk 1 min/run 1 min - so as you can see I'm not at the 20 minutes non-stop running but I am really determined to carry on this time! I have no-one to run with (unless any of you guys live in Kent) and I find these forums just excellent to make you get out there 'cos its the stepping outside your front door that is the most difficult thing. I am a couple of stone overweight, 36 years old and I simply refuse to be at this point again this time next year. So, can I please join your virtual running club? PS: The Triple F club are very friendly and you might want to check out the Moonwalk on May 10th on the Events forum - a bunch of us will be doing the 26.2 mile walk. Join us.
  • Options
    Hi Bondi,
    Well done on the weekend, I blew it big time with a big night out on Sat which meant I didn't make it out as planned on Sunday. Am moving house on Friday and having not been organised at all (only found out we were moving five days ago!) think I am going to have to sacrifice running for packing boxes... hope it burns some calories!
    My advice re the scales is to not get on them... try and only weigh yourself once a week as it just gets you down if you start checking more often as you can fluctuate wildly throughout the week.

re distance... I've just been chatting to a colleague about running (he just did NY). I was saying that I was stuck around the 5-7 mile mark. His advice was to not increase your mileage by more than 10 percent from one week to the next and to build up mileage slowly. Then the increase won't be such a shock to the system! he was really encouraging, saying that altho its bl**dy hard work and you will sometimes feel like not going out, its worth it in the end as there is nothing like the experience of the marathon (esp london).

must go, enjoy your running this week, I'll be with you in mind and back with a vengeance (and new running scenery!) next week...
  • Options
    clariss,
    Just saw your post. keep up the good work! will look at Triple F when I have bit more time. The moonwalk sounds interesting... do we have to dress as Michael Jackson as I don't think I could afford the surgery!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HKP
    Thanks for words of encouragement.Good luck with the packing.
    Will try and get out tonight. Will it ever stop raining......???????

will also look at moonwalk later on today.
    don't think you need surgery to look like MJ any more just a tub of plastercine
  • Options
    As long as you walk wearing a bra you can dress like whoever you dang well like!
    hkp - good luck with the move
    bondi - its not raining here so get your a**e out of the door!!!!! (and report back later obviously)
  • Options
    Hi All

The moonwalk sounds brill - are you guys doing the full marathon or the half. And when do we have to enter?
  • Options
    Munchkin - we're doing the full and enter as soon as you can. If you check out the Events thread details of what to put e.g. name of club and time are all there. Hope to see you.
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

It's great to find some other novices out there planning to make the marathon this year - I was just starting to think I might have bitten off a little too much so it's nice to see others in the same boat.

I started running this time last year and worked up to the London 10K then just stopped once I had done it.
    I managed to loose 2 stone training for that which I was really pleased about. Instead of tryig to diet I was very strick on eating my 5 good portions of fruit and veg every day which just filled me up so along wiht the extra exercise the weight just went. This worked well for me cause I just get really miserable if I think I can't have things - but I know it doesn't work for everyone and I'm not saying loosing weight is easy.
    I still have another stone to shift which is being pretty stubbon!

I just started training again this week so far managed 3 30 min runs on the treadmill which I'm very pleased with although I can't really imagine being able to do a significant amount more without collapsing or dying of boredom.

Of course, still waiting to hear about places for the FLM - I feel like I can't realy loose whatever the letter says - either great to get a place or saved from all that hard training!

Linda

• Options
    Hi Linda

You've done great! I've got two stones to shift and I've got a place in the FLM as I had to pull out last year. I'm determined to get to my goal weight this time - I'm currently on Slimming World but finding it hard. Any tips food wise would be welcome.
    Well Done!
  • Options
    Hi Munchkin,

I tried to reply to your post before but the whole thing crashed and I got fed up with it.

How's is the slimmers world going?
    I do't really have any food tips except keep pilling in fruit and try to treat yourself to stuff you wouldn't usually have.
    I really like mango so try to get that as a treat in place of cake and chocolate. But don't feel bad if you give in to a little of what you fancy every now and then. You are going to be doing shed loads of running over the next few months so will loose some of the weight and increase your metabolic rate.

Do make sure you eat enough for all the running though. Be careful of cutting out too many dairy products as you need the calcium to help your bones stand up to all that running. And if you are hungry then eat - nothing is more miserable than being hungry and feeling annoyed about it.

I'm getting very edgy about getting the FLM letter now. Missed two of my runs this week after straining my shoulder falling off my bike but it is better now so I'm back on track.

Linda
  • Options
    Hello, training not going well. Won't bore you with detail.
    When do the letters come out for FLM

• Options
    Lindihopper

Thanks for all the advice and many congrats. on your excellent weight loss. I've just been on holiday for a week, albeit to Club La Santa where I've done lots of running and other excercise but I've been sampling the Spanish beer at night so any weight I may have lost has been put back on. I've just heard I'm in the Slimming World London Marathon Team for next year so I will just have to get a grip! I find green days easier but I'm sure, as you say, all the running I'll be doing will hopefully use up the two stones of blubber.

Good Luck with your weight loss and running
  • Options
    Hi everyone
    Great to here about the fantastic weight losses, running is definitly the way to do it (along with diet!) I have lost over 4.5 stone with WW this year. Does anyone kow if they have bonded places for FLM?
    Mucky
  • Options
    Hi all

What a great site. Good to see i'm not alone on advice with the training. I've been accepted for the FLM. Came as bit of a shock, so now i'll have to step up the training sessions.

I'm running 4 times a week at the moment for 30mins each time.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Mike
  • Options

Ah, still waiting for the letter to tell me yes or no, also waiting for some exam results in the next couple of weeks so getting very nervous every time I hear the flap on the letterbox.

Training is going pretty well now, I think the couple of days off waiting for my arm to recover did me good. Managed 2 x 4 mile runs this week so am definately back on track.

I'm planning to do the Serpentine 10k on new years day which should help me control the alcohol consumption the night before, or if not make me suffer big time!

Linda

• Options
    Hope you get the results you need.

My training has taken a bit of a nose dive this last week. I've had this flu type bug with an extremely sore throat. Can't wait to get back out again.

Your very brave doing a 10k on New Years day!! Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Maxwell,hope you feel better soon.

I'm not sure if I am brave or stupid running on New Years Day, I guess I'll learn from the experience.

Training if going great - managed my longest ever run of 7 miles yesterday and still felt good at the end of it - but still no news from FLM. I think my postman has eaten it.
    Surely it must arrive tomorrow!

Lindi
  • Options
    I got my unsuccessful magazine yesterday along with the returned cheque. I'll now have to look through the events section and find a different one to attempt for my 1st marathon attempt!!!!!
    Good luck the rest of you
  • Options
    I think you are all being very good.Personally I am going to start in January and have a couple of weeks off at christmas (difficult to train when children off school and I work shifts including nights)
    I am running 3-4 times a week at the moment up to 1hr at at least one of them so I guess that will be my excuse.
    Does anyone else work night shifts out there?Tell me how do you train with sleep deprivation,is there a magic cure- caffeine?
    Proplus?
    And can anyone tell me how you fit other sports into this regime or is that a bad idea,I do not want to get bored with running!
    This will be my first marathon and I am training alone-it is scary stuff!
  • Options
    Finally got my FLM rejection so I'm looking for another marathon too. Tempted by Paris but still thinking about it.

Lindi
  • Options
    Lindihopper, Sorry to hear to weren't successful. What are the dates of the Paris marathon?

Have to run the FLM before? This will be my first time. Mind you, if I don't feel any better soon, I'm going to be so far behind with my training, which is a bit of a worry.

Maxwell
  • Options
    Hi all, I'll be training with a partner for the FLM. I can't do it myself due to a family commitment, but am looking for another training/running partner. We're 'resting' at the mo, but have done the Nottingham and Liverpool 1/2's in 2:30 ish. We're planning to start the GYR schedule from 1st week in Jan. If there is anyone in west Nottingham (Beeston / Long Eaton)who wants to train with us (sunday run will be sunday evenings) they're more than welcome.

Arthur
  • Options
    Paris is the week before London, hence why I'm still thinking as I'm not sure I want to loose a weeks training as it is my first time too.

I'm going to sit down at the weekend and look for other candidates. I'm down for the half marathon at Silverstone and then the Great North Run so at least I have things to look forward to.

Get well soon Maxie!

Lindi
  • Options
    Pix, Your marathon aspirations have notn
    gone unnoticed