Options

I've lost my va va voom

Help! I have been training for my first half marathon for weeks. Training has been going really well. I've gradually increased the distance and have modified my pace so when I run I feel invincible. However, this week I just cant be bothered. It took an enormous effort just to run for 35 mins. this morning. What have I done wrong?

Comments

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Got tired probably.

Happens to almost everybody.

When is the half?

Even the best amongst us take step back weeks.

If you fight it, you will lose, possibly break.

If you take a week off training, you will not lose much if anything from general fitness.

A less drastic approach is to alter your training. Leave the watch at home, go somewhere different. If you had been working on long slow distances, vary the pace, run backward, pick flowers. If you had tried to introduce speed work, try running slowly, introduce walking breaks.

Practicing running slowly is a good idea anyway. When you start to tire in longer races, you can ratchet back the speed for a couple of minutes and feel much fresher.

It will come back, and better. Don't fret.
  • Options
    you've done nothing wrong at all!!! don't worry! Happens to everyone occasionally (sometimes more than occasionally!!) - i have been running for a few years and normally i love it but sometimes it just doens't work and i feel like my legs are made of lead! I did a marathon 3 weeks ago with no problem, but when i went out on Tuesday night i had to stop and walk every 5 mins as i was so heavy and useless feeling! Have you been eating/drinking properly?? i find that has a big effect on me, especially if i haven't drunk enough and am feeling a bit dehydrated....don't let it get you down though, you're doing really well! The more you can run through those horrible runs, the stronger both mentally and physically you become and the better you'll get!!! Keep at it, don't let it put you off, and you'll be fine!
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Have you got someone to run with?

You could try http://www.womensrunningnetwork.co.uk/ or find a local running club at http://www.clubfinder.org.uk/
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    As above

A club (or mates) help to keep you focussed or give you a cuddle when the wheels fall off.

Everybody has bad days/weeks/months/years don't worry. I am still trying to match the my PBs of 2000. Just pick up where you left off and keep going. Marathon training in particular feels like every waking minutes is spent running or thinking about it.After a bad FLM experience I almost gave up running but I didn't, joined a club and joined in the moaning about injuries etc.

I occasionally give myself a whole week off - and come back feeling much better.
  • Options
    Also, you might be sickening for something, if your body is fighting off a virus then everything will feel like a lot more effort. Second what the others say, take a few days rest and eat lots of good food, that should set you right. Nicky.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    You could also vary the exercise

Swim/bike or just a walk

Are you taking days off ?

I always try to have every third or fourth day off. Otherwise you'll run yourself down and catch anything and everything that's going.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    PS

If it does get better; you could think about a vitamen supplement, nothing serious (one a day -daily recommended dosage from Boots or Superdrug) During marathon training I got styes and coldsores etc. because I was exhausted all the time.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the prompt replies. Feel better already! Thinking about it I've had a very busy week and probably havent been drinking like I normally would. I use a vitamin supplement but I'm not sure I've taken it every day this week. I've probably had more suppers than proper dinners too. Thanks for helping me see the woods for the trees!
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Dehydration can have the effects you describe too.

In the recent very hot weather, I have taken to carrying a very large water bottle with me now and deliberately stopping for a drink. I also sip water all day at work - I pee a lot but I feel better!