Options

Sports drinks

Which sports drinks to people use and why ? and do they help with the running at the moment I dont use one but I think they would help ? any advice would be good cheers heps

Comments

• Options
    I tend to train using the sports drink that my next race uses. However I generally use powerade as I can drink it without upsetting my stomach while out on a run. You could try different ones to see which suits you and that you like the taste of.

Sports drinks are recommended if you are running over an hour.
  • Options
    ATB - Should you drink it before your run ? (Sorry I've never used sports drinks before - i'm a newbie, and have only just started calling myself a runner).
    I run for about 1 1/2 hours (run & walk a bit) should I be using sports drinks?
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    I always used to use Isostar, but eventually found it was a bit expensive and so on recommendation I tried High 5. Have had no problems with High 5 and would recommend their products.

I use High 5 Energy before and during a run and High 5 Protein recovery after a hard or long run.
  • Options
    I have a bottle of Lucosade Sport on my walk home from the train station. Thats about 20-30 mins before I'm changed and out running. I hate the orange one though. Summer berry is my favourite. I've also got hooked on that new Lucosade flavoured water plus stuff. Like to have one particualry after running in the heat.
  • Options
    Hi Heps.

I like Lucozade sport.

I would recommend that for a run of about 1 and half hours you have about a third to a half of the bottle 5 to 10 mins before you go out for run and then taker the rest of the bottle with you and have a few sips every 15 or 20 mins. The rule is to drink it to stop you getting exhausted and dehydrated. If you leave it 'till you're already knackered its too late for it to do any good and that's your run ruined.
  • Options
    unless your running for more than 2 hrs don't bother save your money. 5 minutes before you go running have a table spoon of sugar (and for every half an hour a quater of a teaspoon salt helps stop cramp) per 5 mins running in 1 pint of water. for example 30 mins 6 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 of a teaspoon salt. the science behind it is the body will break down the simple carbs and convert them to energy quickly and you'll burn off the extra energy in no time. what i do it taste like crap but works and its cheaper.
  • Options
    Cheers for the info guys will give a few of the suggestions a go !! One for Marine Wannabe I am An ex bootie (marine) so if you have any questions let me have them I did 14 yrs
  • Options
    Marine wannabe - By the sound of that potion I'd rather pay the 80p and not throw up! Fair paly to you though if you can keep that lot down.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Ribena. Big glass before a run, and 2 big ones afterwards.

• Options
    i did once tasted crap (was in my sports studies book) but now i have a choclate bar and a jam sandwhich and a cup of coffee 5 minutes before running and my body uses up all the sugar and caffine in my body plus i can run for longer.

hi heps i have one question is climbing a good plan before going up there? (cheers)
  • Options
    do you mean before your poc or have you done that already ? any form of upper body strengh will stand you in good stead but a lot of the commando course is mental atittude where as others give up you have to keep going and belive you can do it they will build you up to every thing that they expect you to do the hard bit is down to you the will to win the green bit at the end !
  • Options
    Asda isotonic sports drink, £1.75 for 4 x 500mL

Easily outscored Lucozade sport in a "sports drink" better buy test in a national newspaper recently.
  • Options
    i use isostar, comes in powder form (several flavours) and costs £7, but makes 10 500ml servings, so its not too bad price-wise. i only use it when i'm putting in a lot of effort (really hard session or long run) otherwise water is fine.
  • Options
    For the water idea suggested by marine wannabe I found that by making it with really strong black-currant cordial I managed to make it taste vaguely drinkable though I never had quite as much sugar or salt.