Options

Heart Palpatations & Running

Comments

• Options
    Just to follow up on that - the advice given to me is that if you are experiencing episodes of irregular beats take it easy ( they usually pass in a few hours) and obviously as blood is being pumped less efficiently you can feel grim if you try to exercise thru it - having said that I did once and it put it back in rhythm BUT THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED - the doc gave me a very funny look when I said I'd done that!. Just for the record I'm building up to the FLM 2003 and I'm not worrying about the bangs and bumps in my chest. Too much alcohol or caffiene insult can trrigger episodes too. Have Fun.
  • Options
    Hello - long time no write! Thought I would update you all on my palpations, which I am still having. Blood tests ruled out thyroid and other things; I've had a 24hour ECG, during which (luckily?) I had a couple of episodes. Saw the cardiologist on Monday, and he says this is sinus tachycardia. He says, also, that most reasons for this are benign, and could be down to stress, hyrdation levels (interesting), too much caffeine - the usual suspects. He thinks it is unlikely to be anything sinister, but arranged for an echocardiogram scan of the muscles etc. of my heart to be abosultely sure. Waiting for results of that now.....

However, he did say that I was very fit and healthy in every other way (reassuring)and he thought I could carry on with my marathon training (doing the Edinburgh Marathon on 15 June), but he wants to see me again before I do it (hope he doesn't say 'no' at that point - I'm up to 15 miles for my long runs now)

Also, he gave me three techniques to try to get the heart rate down if I have a long spell, so will give this a go when it happens again. I'd rather try that then go onto medication (beta blockers?) to control it, which may be an option. Let you know how it develops.........NB
  • Options
    HI Natural Blonde, good to hear your update.

Hydration is an interesting possible cause. What were the three techniques the doc told you about?

Tiffer
  • Options
    Hi Tiffer,

The three techniques are:

1. Take a deep breath, hold it, and then do a sort of supressed cough...

2. Gently massage the carotid (not sure if I spelt that correctly) pulse in one side of my neck, for no more than 30 seconds though. You have to be careful with this one apparently, and he wouldn't normally recommend you do it.

3. Not quite sure what this does, but shut one eye and press into the eyeball, tho' he says that is the least comfortable option.

I don't pretend to understand what any of these do, in physiological terms, but I will try anything once!

NB
  • Options
    Those techniques treat a SUPRAVENTRICULAR tachycardia NB, is that what you mean?
  • Options
    Hippo, I am sure the Doc said SINUS tachycardia. Are the two similar conditions? NB
  • Options
    Nope
    Sinus tachycardia ins the speeding up of your heart rate in a normal rhythm
    Like when you run!
    Supraventricular tachycardia, or SVT, is an abnormal fast heart rhythm, that can come on at any time, and is treated as you detail above, or by drugs if its very recurrent and annoying
  • Options
    hmmmmm - I'm confused now! Not that it takes much. I am sure he said I have a normal rhythm, but it speeds up now and again. Does that make sense? The ECG showed my resting HR of 48 - 50 bpm, going up to 145bpm during these 'episodes' that I had whilst on the ECG. They didn't last long. Mind you, they can last over an hour some days, normally about 5am.

Perhaps the techniques I described can be used for both sinus tachycardia AND SVT?
    NB
  • Options
    NB - i have had a heart murmur since being born with a hole in the heart - to the extent doctors have always told me i should be unable to exercise (i finished the London marathon this year). I have become used to my heart beat going "mental" while on training runs, running upstairs, getting out of chairs - depends on the day. I am no doctor, but i have developed a method. If it happens, you cannot just stop and sort it out there and then - just drop off the pace and finish off - or if it is not during training you need to go for a bit of a walk - basically be active for a bit - sitting hunched up generally makes it all very weird because you can feel it!

So once the activity is stopped lie down flat on your back, arms by side and take in a a depp breath (through the nose works for me - not sure if it makes a difference) - pause at top of breath and then slowly exhale - my heart then skips a beat near the end of the exhale - and i am back to normal.

You get used to it - i actually use mine to my advantage in Waterpolo matches - i can sustain high levels of activity because my heart beat soars way over 200 beats and can stay there - i don't recommend it to all as a training tool - but i have this thing always have - may as well use it.

It may help...
  • Options
    Sinus tachycardia doesnt need treatment
    Just slow down, or try to relax
  • Options
    I'm 55 this year and have been aware of a very irregular heartbeat since late teenage. I've lived with it, always been active and have now taken up long distance running. My irregularity occurs mostly when I'm not active. It varies between missed beats, fast rate and fluttering. On runs, it goes a bit haywire at the start but then settles to a regular rhythm. I've had the odd ECG as part of medicals etc. which have not shown anything untoward but this thread is motivating me to get it checked out properly. Mrs OB has been on to me for years to get it sorted as she can't even bear to lay her head on my chest as she thinks I'm about to pop my clogs.
  • Options
    id be tempted to ignore it mate
    it hasnt done for you yet, and do you want a medical "label"

(Im saying this without my medical hat on)
  • Options
    (I ignore my palpitations too)
  • Options
    Ill post a long explanatory post on this later
    if anyones interested
  • Options
    Hippo - yes, I'd be interested. Meanwhile, off to try out this thing called 'relaxing'......NB
  • Options
    Okay then

Ive done 3 years as a cardiology registrar, and have been qualified as a doctor for 13 years.

There are two sorts of palpitations in my book.
    1.palpitations which occur in normal people with structurally normal hearts.These can range from the odd "missed beat"(ventricular ectopic, or VE), to episodes of fast fluttering for no reason(fast regular fluttering, SVT, see above, or atrial fibrillation, irregular fluttering). They are more inconvenient than dangerous, though if you get an SVT lasting for hours, you probably wouldnt feel very well.
    treatment depends on how inconvenient the palpitations are. Drug treatment CAN cause palpitations, and all drugs have side effects.So it depends how much its bothering you, and how often it happens. Thesestype of palpitations are often worse with stress, and caffeine/alcohol excess. its also worth having a blood test to check for an overactive thyroid.
    2.Palpitations in people with abnormal hearts. these are potentially more serious, and can be fatal.Common in the elderly, but can affect young people too, probably got that young guy at silverstone.
    If palpitations make you feel really breathless, or faint, or cause chest pain;or you have a family history of sudden unexplained death, then you need to get checked out, not just with a monitor, but with an ultrasound(echo) of your heart.

Most people fall into category one.
    OB, you are now 55, and have quite happily been exercising, id be surpised if you had anything sinister
    NB, i think you have SVT

Of course, I have to issue a disaclaimer here, other wise ill get sued the next time one of you drop dead on a run!
    hope this helps
    ruth xx
  • Options
    Strang things these PVCs as they used to be called.(Premature Ventricular Contractions).I used to have it pretty bad about 10 years ago without being affected by exercise. It came on for no apparent reason. Nowadays it hardly ever happens even though I do considerably more exercise such as exertions in trying to improve PBs!
    Impey.
  • Options
    they are horrible
  • Options
    Do you think i should get mine fully checked out... While i seem quite in control of it - seeing the guy at 3 miles from the Blue start has made me think - and worry the next time may be worse. I do get quite a bit of pain but because its always been there at various times i ignore it a bit and wait til i get the chance to stop it, which i have learned to do... Am i just being stupid - have asked my doc years ago (different GP now) but they told me my heart was fine - when they put a stethoscope on and i was rested...

Hmmm
  • Options
    what sort of pain
    And what sort of palpitation
    Does it happen when you exercise?
  • Options
    Yeah has done - often it is - in fact when i am fit it is only when i exercise - palpatation kicks in and heart beat goes way over 200 per min - giving an almost continuous, but manageable pain - quite acute - you can tell exactly where the pain is - its not dull at all!

I think its fairly regular - but have never paid much attention to whether it is or not.

Would appreciate help...
  • Options
    The fact that youve done a marathon obviously means your body can cope with this

i think you need an exercise test, to try and provoke it
    Or do a run with your 24 hour heart monitor on, and note this in a diary

Do you use a HRM?
    what is your normal training heart rate, im assuming you dont hit 200 with heavy exertion like me

Dont know how old you are, or anythng about you family history, but i WOULD get checked out on this one

Shouldnt say this, but it takes ages via the NHS
  • Options
    I should also have added that most of us know when theres something wrong, or your body doesnt feel right

then you should hhave a checkup too
  • Options
    Most likely time it happens is when i stop for a bit and then start up again - for instance in waterpolo when a free throw is taken and then i blast into a sprint.

Only ever worn a HRM once years ago - guy i ran with (have barely run since until i started training for London) thought his HRM was broken cause it went up to something silly like 240 - and stayed there for about 40 mins. Don't know regular heart beat rest or at work... - next purchase is HRM.

I am 28 - as far as i am aware only my Dad's parents have had any heart issues (his Dad died of heart attack, Mum has angina). I had hole in heart when born - not operated - think it healed.

Sorry this isn't fair on you - day off and all - my penance is a day at work (or rather the whole Easter weekend!!!!
  • Options
    Im not off duty
    have been on call all week
    so no worries

HRM might be one way of doing it
    Id be surprised if it was owt horrid

sorry, cos you have a name referring to balding, i assumed you were a bit older
  • Options
    Young and balding - a cross i bare with pride - and with broad swimmer's shoulders to boot - think i will get the HRM - cheers for the info tho - its only taken me 28 years!!
  • Options
    Guess you are more aerodynamic then
  • Options
    Benz - have been off forum all day since posting earlier. Thanks for all the info you're providing here. As you probably gathered, I'm not over fussed about my heart beats otherwise I'd have done something about it over the last 40 odd years, but one or two Docs on here have said "get it checked anyway". I prefer to take your advised course of action! BTW, I'm not 55 for 3 weeks so steady on!! How's the new job going?

BN - bald at 21 me.
  • Options
    weird OB
    The responsibility is awful, cos the juniors arent as committed as i was
    And today, i got phoned up about a death certificate????????????????????????????
    Im also on call at least one week in 3, for less pay

good promotion eh?