Options

Treadmill Intervals

Having reviewed my training I decided I'd slipped into a regime of doing too many medium runs and not enough hard/soft routine. So I have begun to experiment with using treadmill for intervalsand started out based on Parkers idiots guide and a general impression that you should aim to train around the lactic threshold - without resorting to blood sampling I gather that realtes to ca 85% WHR.

However, I'm interested to know which parameters I'm best tinkering with. eg last week I did

fast Interval
distance:400m
speed: 14.6kph = 110% 10k race pace

slow interval
distance : 200m
speed : 8.5kph = 65% 10k pace

speed change on treadmill added ca 20m for each acceleration/deceleration

Reps: 9

outcome: first 400m felt OK but by the lap 5 onwards the second 200m felt hard (but didn't reach "death")

Tried to monitor on HR initially this was running 155-166 (74-83% WHR) for the first interval rising to ca 164-179 (73% - 92% WHR).

Does this seem too hard/ too easy? for this 400m distance would my next step be to
a) increase fast speed
b) increase slow speed
c) change slow speed distance
d) do more of them

thanks for all wisdom received

Comments

• Options
    I'd have to say that what you are doing might work, but it's not interval training! You're actually working too hard, believe it or not.

Your "slow intervals" should be genuine recoveries and if you're finding them hard then you unfortunately haven't got the balance right. It's perfectly permissible to walk recoveries or even rest completely - whatever you do, the aim is to refresh yourself (fully or adequately, depending on your objectives) going again on the 400m fast reps.

The simplest tip for the recovery segment is to make sure you're HR gets down to 130bpm before going again - don't worry about how far or how slow you have to go to make that happen. This idea goes back to Gerschler, the guy who pretty much invented interval training so it's worth taking note of. But whatever you do, you don't want to be making your recoveries themselves into a "hard" effort.

You should really be aiming to run the 400m reps at something like your 5K pace, or a little faster than your 10K pace, which is what you are now doing. The more interval training you do the faster your 10K pace will become (over time), and hence you can gradually start running the reps a little faster.

The other variables depend on what you are trying to achieve with the session. If you are trying to build raw speed (e.g for a strong finishing kick or for races of 5K or less), you should concentrate on running more reps with adequate recovery (up to about 12 x 400m, in your case, at a guess). If you are wanting to build speed endurance (so that you can run quicker for longer), you can try shortening the recovery time (and running fewer reps accordingly).

Actually it's worth trying both approaches, as most runners need both types of speed, unless you're running really short track distances.

Don't forget that you can also increase the distance of the reps, depending on what you are training for. 800m are useful for most runners, and for 1/2M and above it's well worth doing 1 mile and even two mile reps, though obviously fewer of them as the distance goes up.

Hope that helps - it's worth remembering that they're called "intervals" because it's during the rest/recovery "interval" where the adaptation takes place (or so they say). You'll often hear the fast reps referred to as intervals but this is wrong.

Oh - and keep up the good work. Nothing makes you faster quicker, though it's a good idea to try and supplement intervals with other forms of speed training (fartlek, tempo, hills reps) for all-round improvement and for variety.
  • Options
    Well, this is all very technical, but the teadmill I use at the Gym is 'time based', rather than 'distance based'.

eg a 20 min session alternatives between 'hard minutes' & 'recovery minutes' with speed & gradient set by the user.

I do 'hard' at 13km/h on 2% gradient with 'recovery' at 9km/h on flat gradient.

Is this OK, or should I change it?

My objective is to beat 1:40 for my next half marathon.
  • Options
    As Achilles says, you will get an idea of if it is right if you use a heart Monitor, if your heart rate drops enough in the recovery phase then that is fine, if not then you may have to slow down a bit more. It may look strange to other users at the gym, you going fast then walking but it is you doing the session with a goal in mind so bo***cks to what they think.
    That last bit was for me aswell to remind me why we do these sessions.
  • Options
    DaveP -

time-based intervals are fine as well as long as you've got some idea of the pace you're running at. if my sums are right, I'd guess you're running 400m reps at about 8:00 mile pace. does that sound about right?

I wouldn't advise using the treadmill's own "interval" programme though, because it's likely to make you do recoveries that last only as long as your repeats, and that's not going to be long enough.

also, the number of repeats you do (and the pace you do them at) is more relevant than the overall length of the session, which is another reason to alternate manually rather than letting the treadmill do it for you.

I'd suggest also that if you're aiming for a 1:40 1/2M, then you need to start thinking about upping the pace. if you know your 10K pace, then run a few seconds faster than this, or alternatively a bit slower than your 5K pace.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback Achilles.

My apology for not making myself clear - I was not having a problem on the recovery 200m it was my perecived effort on the second half of the 400m leg that was begining to feel tough. that said your comments are valid and useful

1)for now work to get the HR a bit lower at the end of the recovery and use this as the trigger for the next interval

2)vary the session for speed/ speed-endurance reasons

Finally, I gave up on the standard treadmill interval programs and work the speed manually - requires concentration and a bit of math but allows better targetting
  • Options
    Achilles

Thanks for the thoughtful advice.

I liked the structure of the time based programme on the treadmill, but having seen your advice I think I will do my own thing from now on.

Regarding my 10K (or 5K) pace, I've no idea as I've never raced either! However, my first 10K is coming up soon & my target is to beat 45min.

Assuming I'm about right with my 10K forecast, what structure of interval session would you suggest to break 1:40 for half marathon?
  • Options
    hi - i have been happily running (lone) for around 9 years now - have completed 3 full marathons and numerous half marathons...but not fast! however, have obviously improved since early years of training. although, now 41 :-( i am looking forward to the great north - am conscious that i am running a little quicker these days - but confused with this months rw issue regarding speed work ie. see page 52 - intermediate run 4:30 die 800m - does this mean run at 4:30 minute mile pace!!! for 800m??? (i think not) - however, felt speedwork info on web site better - but anyway can someone explain please?? ta muchly.....lion kingess
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Achilles, hi! Where've you been hiding for many months?

As I understand this speed thing from what Mike G says. 200's should be done @ 800m pace, 400's @ mile pace, 600/800m @3k pace, 800/1000m @5k pace and mile reps at 5km to 10km pace. Depending on what distance you're training for to which reps you would do most of. However, it would do no harm to include these sessions in your training, no matter what race distance you want to target.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Just realised my big mistake! This thread was first started in 2002 and Achilles has not returned to the site-doh!

Can't believe I've been coming on here for 2yrs!!