Options

Getting back into it

I trained hard for my first FLM (5h38 with a dodgy knee!!) but am now finding it really hard to get back into running. I'm doing a few 3 milers before work, but does anyone have any advice of how I can re-discover the motivation to train for some 10ks and half marathons while making a dent in my pretty slow plodding times? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Oh MinnieMoo your piccy looks very much like the cat I've just adopted. Sooo sweet!

Well done on you FLM time too - especially with a dodgy knee. That alone certainly shows you've got some steely determination lurking inside of you!

Have you looked into joining any running clubs near you or at least finding other people you could run with? It's easier to get out if you know you'd otherwise be letting a friend down, and you get to have a chat and set the world to rights at the same time!

Also a club might do some suitable speed sessions which, while helping you improve, will also alleviate any boredom you might encounter if you're doing the same routes all the time.

• Options
    Thanks Vanilla Treefrog, I think I'll try that - I am a little scared of running clubs though, because I am a bit of a plodder. On the other hand, speed work has been a big problem, mainly because I run on my own. Does anyone know friendly running clubs in the Hants area?
  • Options
    Oh and I've just had a mad moment- Ive entered the Great South run. I'd better start training now! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Options
    Maybe you need more rest time than you think..dodgy knee and all..I reckon when you want to start training again you won't need to persuade youself you'll just do it.
    I'm not a running club person either so have to rely on my own determination as to when /how much I run and I reckon when I really don't want to run their is usually a good reason for it.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Minniemoo

Well done on FLM. You have more motivation and determination than I do! I had a couple of months of not running and have really struggled to get back into it, but what has really helped me is:
    1) Enter a race (which it looks like you've already done). Gives you a reason to run and something to aim for.
    2) Join a club. Yes, I know, I'm not a club-type person either... but it really does help. I'm absolutely a plodder, was at the back in all the speed sessions, but the club had sufficient plodders to start splitting us into smaller ability-graded groups and now it's fab! If no beginners/plodders ever join, clubs won't cater for them. So I'd say, at least give it a go. There's bound to be someone of similar speed/ability.