Options

How do I measure how far I've run

Lots of beginner thoughts from me today!

Have been training on a treaddie, but now want to start outdoor running. Partly because I want to slowly build up to longer runs, which won't fit in to my lunch break, and also I'm thinking of leaving the gym.

I don't want to spend vast amounts on a SDM type thing if I can possibly help it and don't want to plan out my route too far in advance. I have Greenwich and Blackheath to run on so would like to meander if I can. I can use map24 for runs from work to London Bridge to suss out distance there - that being a constant route.

Any suggestions for either a not too expensive piece of kit - or something?

Comments

• Options
    I either drive the route run in my car or cycle it as I have a little computer thingy on my bike to measure distance.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Before buying the marvellous Polar 625x (SDM thingy) I used Accuroute software and an ordnance Survey map to measure routes.

I found that to be excellent, and really very cheap.
  • Options
    So.... essentially you don't want to do the map/software/web thing, but instead want something to measure directly as you go?

A watch is probably the best thing. Get an idea of your pace (from your fixed work run?) and just time yourself - it'll be pretty accurate, and certainly more accurate than a pedometer. As far as I know, there's nothing else in the non-expensive bracket (SDM's, accelerometers etc).
  • Options
    Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    or use www.map24.co.uk
  • Options
    I brought a digital map measurer from Runners Need for a few quid - if you have a map book and know the scale you just like 'wheel' it along the route and it calculates the distance on a display .... gadgety type of kit, quite accurate and only about £10.