Morning all,

What: Bewl Water 15 @ marathon pace + 10-20%

Why: to enjoy running in the countryside

Last hard: 4 days

Last rest: 51 days

Comments

• Options
    Morning all

Race well BT and others that are taking part at Bewl!

Monique all the best

What: About to set off for a brick sesh bike and run

Why: 1/2 Ironman training

Last Hard: Sunday

Last Rest: Wed

Race well
  • Options
    Race well Ironpeople and Bewl runners and any other racers. Another training run TIm?

What: long n easy with a few clubmates

Why: build aerobic endurance

Last hard: 9 days

Last rest: 50 days

• Options
    Good luck to all whom are racing today, special good luck to Monique

What; Trip to Chiropractor
    Why: Very sore back
    Last Hard: June 16
    Last rest: Yesterday

Enjoy
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Good luck Tim,Smashy,Snail,Monique ,Andy and all other racers today!!!!

Another 4 miler or so today building back up Nice and easy

Best wishes and speedie recovery to all on injury bench Simon/Barbara/URR

How is the hip Barbara?

Happy training/racing/recovering or resting!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    good luck to the ironpeople
    and to all other racers

nice to see you out there again poppy

TT-----big hugs
    reckon you are coming down with summat as well-that race doesnt sound like you

bit tired as had a callout at 12.20am
    plod, then into hozzie
  • Options
    6.5 miles

now for more cross traiing(moving)
  • Options
    What: LSD, 1:30 to 1:45 depending on how I feel, with wrist weights
    Why: Build endurance, suspicion is that I've been dropping the pace towards ends of half-marathons
    Last hard: Friday

Good luck all including Ironmen (isn't that a kiddies book from way back?) and all other racers.
  • Options
    Good luck all those racing.

What: some upperbody work using crutches!

Simon
  • Options
    Chin up, Simon.

Maybe you could get a chin up bar and do some exercises with that! :-)
  • Options
    Morning,

Run well all you racers today.

What: Easy jog, might get uo to low aerobic levels.
    Why: Have a cautions look at the right calf muscle - feels OK so I'll give it a go.

Last hard: A weeks ago if I am honest
    Last rest: Yesterday - played golf
  • Options
    Quick recovery to all the injured!

Session done dissapointed on the bike leg but very pleased with the running:

25 mile bike 1:36 ( shocking ) followed straight away by 10 mile run

1st 5 mile lap 32:50
    2nd 5 mile lap 32:25

Legs seem to manage better from bike to run rather than first starting out on bike!

Back later
  • Options
    Morning!

What: all those things I usually manage to avoid by doing a long run

Why: being ultra cautious with this hip/hamstring. Have two 10ks in the next two weeks, don't want to miss them.

Good luck to all the racers!

Best wishes to the sick and injured.

Back later.
  • Options
    Morning

Good luck to the Ironpeeps and Bewlers.

Dismal run this morning :o(

Planned to do 18 miles at a comfortable 7:30/m pace. Felt hard work from the start and found I was already a minute behing schedule at 3 miles! Struggled on knowing I could cut things short if it didn't get any easier and ended up short-cutting home having done 7.5 miles at 7:50/m pace. Felt like I'd already run 20 miles by this point.

11 weeks to go until New Forest Marathon now and only one decent long run (16 miles)completed :o(

On the bright side- 51 miles for the week :o)
  • Options
    what; Similar to NE. wanted a nice steady 2 hours at MP but struggled from the off
    why; to lay the demons from last sunday
    last hard; 2 weeks
    last rest; yesterday.

After last Sundays nightmare wanted a nice steady 16 ish miles or so to build up the confidence,but it didnt happen felt achey and sluggish from the off, bits of me were hurting that hadnt hurt for years.
    did a two hour toodle but it did my mindset not he slightest bit of good at all, off to Manchester for 3 days so will try to run there if i dont get lost

See you peeps on Thursday.
    Good luck to all at Bewl,
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Today: Easy hour and half run done.

Yesterday: Ran Div1 midland lge 1500m. My pb is 3.59 and knew I was in shape to challenge it, but it was very windy, not conjusive to fast running. So thought stuff the times I'll just run to win. I finished 8th in the last one.
    Started off pretty quick and tucked in behind Matt Lole of Coventry ( quality runner low 14mins for 5k ) coming down the home straight 300m ran, the pace was dropping slightly, I could hear for my support to take it on so I did, into 1st 1st lap in 62/63 secs, got to about 700m when he came by me again and started to stretch out, I reached 800 in 2.06 and felt not too bad and knew that the 3rd lap is my achilles heel in 1500 races where I always slow down, so I consciously picked up the effort if not the pace and started closing the gap, I went through the bell in 2.56 / 2.57 and overtook Lole.
    At this point I thought I had him and switched off a little and with 200 to go saw someone speed by me ( lole )with 100 to go he had put about 10 yards gap and at this point i knew he had the race and crossed the line in 2nd in 3.59.8, he got 3.59.2.
    Pleased all in all, only 4 tenths of a second off a pb and given a less windy day should beat it. Roll on wednesday ( my next race ).
    Ran 4 x 400. My leg was 55 secs.
  • Options
    Good racing and report, Sven.

Sorry to hear about the abortive long runs.

2hrs 22 completed, HR 140. Call that 19 miles. Hate ending on a prime number but the heavens opened as we got back to mates house and even I didn't fancy running round his estate for 7 mins.

Will try and slip in a little plod later before taking the kids for an all you can eat curry:)
  • Options
    Liked the report Sven, good running. What time could you have done if it wasn't windy?

My LSD run didn't quite go according to plan. Went out with wrist weights on, soon attracted an army of disciple flies, which was nice. Taking it easy, not looking at the watch, shocked to find I did the first mile in under eight minutes (and that was into a moderate headwind). Decided to just keep the pace up since it wasn't hurting. Did start to blow a bit through the mouth halfway through, but it was controlled and didn't get any worse.

Laps: 7:59/7:41/7:52/7:50/7:44/7:30/7:30/7:16(!)/7:25/6:28(decided to gun it).

Nice bit of stretching at end and don't feel too bad now, although an ice bath would probably be a good idea tonite.
  • Options
    RatcatcherRatcatcher ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the long run struggles. Plum, are you not being too hard on yourself about last Sunday's run? I know you had a disappointing run and I do sympathise but to my mind that was a difficult course so it's quite understandable to have performed worse than expected.

For very many months I have been doing all my long runs very strictly according to a predetermined pace but today decided to give myself a break and just run easy without even measuring time. My legs have been feeling tired all week post ND30K so I thought an easy run was called for. It was nice not to have the pressure of keeping to a consistent pace all the way but I realised I do prefer the discipline of running an exact pace. It also cuts the run down into distinct milestones if I am checking and correcting pace each kilometre so I think runs like today's will be an exception rather than the norm.

What: 21 km (13 miles) easy
    Why: LSD
    Last hard: Thursday

Good luck to all races. Looking forward to the reports later.
  • Options
    Hmm, nice morning, most of planning done now, also!
    What: 2 hour run with BR and other team mates
    Why: long run and the rain felt great, even if BR started to wimp out!
    Last hard: last week
    Last rest: Saturday

Felt great doing 2hours, not done that for ages! I might even do another one later today: I plan to run around to drop off last night's DVD, then go to pizza shop and place the order, then run home to get car and fetch the pizza!
    That should take me to about 18miles!! Wahey! Big mileage, I feel good too!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What Mansfield Half Marathon

Took Alison's place as she is injured with a sore ITB. Not really been running much - 160 odd miles since mid Feb - was aiming for sub 1.30 but unsure about whether that was realistic on the mileage.

Splits (Garmin Forerunner measured) 6.19,
    6.28, 6.32, 6.42 - a this point my knee started to get quite sore so I eased off, already had 2 DNFs this year ! - 7.23, 7.36, 7.10, 7.24 (knee was getting a bit better but the course was quite hilly here), 6.54, 6.55, 7.08, 6.54, 6.59 and a finish of just under 1.31.

All in all pleased with it as a long run - would have liked a minute faster - not sure if I can put that down to the knee - it did hamper me in the middle of the race but towards the end it more fatigue that was holding me back. Immediately afterwards the knee really siezed up and I was having trouble walking for a couple of hours - seems to have loosened up OK now though.

May go for a spin on the fixed later on but as the kids have been playing up all weekend this may be optimistic. Got to admit the only time I find the kids stressful is when you get in absolutely knackered and just want to crash out for a bit but you can't.
  • Options
    Well done popsider! I thought about doing this last week, but as weather is invariably quite warm this time of year, I decided against it (crashed and burned a bit 2 years ago)

Wish I had done it now, although lime green T-shirt from 2 years ago was a bit lurid!
  • Options
    NH - I remember you got half a dozen eggs as well - nice race memento!

And I did NOT wimp out, I was running to a predetermined plan as always:)

Popsider, that's really good going after your grotty running year. Well done.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Sven and popsider!

Good run for me today. Did 18 miles with 12 off road on coastal paths and trails. Weather was kind, overcast and cool, perfect running conditions really. Wasn't concerned with pace, I never am on this run as the terrain is quite difficult at times. Ran with yorkshire lass, so good company to pass the time. Leg copes much better with running off road, so I might do quite a bit of off road running to build my mileage back up. Pleased with today's run though!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Some good running going on

Popsider impressive stuff there

Sorry to here about Alison my ITB (Right) is sore as well haven't run that much since last Sunday. It just hurts too much.

Tried again today but only got a few minutes before the pain crept in.

Just worried all my fitness is going to go
    But i'll probably will have to cancel Thanet on Saturday which is a shame as i was looking forward to it.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Pammie, hope it heals quickly for you!

Hope Alison isn't out too long either!

Injuries are a bl**dy nuisance!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Sounds like most runners are having a good day out there today!1

Sorry to hear about your injury Pammie and Alison

Pammie I know what it is like to cancel races not nice at all, have cancelled all races in July and see how August pans out and looks like my marathion is out of the question as well:-(

Lets hope it is only one race you will miss!!
    Have you see your physio?

Well Done Sven and Popsider good going!!

Hilly well done on your long run!!looking good but be careful

I am afraid after posting this morning went back to bed just to exhausted so nothing for me....I will try again tomorrow giving up is not a word I know at all;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Good racing one and all.Wish I could run a 1-31 1/2M on 160 total miles since February.
    Visit to Chiropractor never happened as work got in the way, have rescheduled for tomorrow. So had a 7.3 mile gentle run in exactly one hour and for the first time since Comrades felt comfortable and wanting to push on, had thought that feeling was never going to come back so well pleased.

To those that have bad long runs today remember we all recover eventually and those days when it seems no effort do return.
  • Options
    Well done Sven and Popsider.

I´ve got a few days off work and am now in Lanzarote til the end of the week (back in time for the men´s league on saturday!)

Landed at 7am, and by 8am was on my first run, an hour steady. Aim to do another 30 later on thi evening and then two runs each day til thursday sandwiching plenty of sun, sea, sand and stretching!
  • Options
    Pammie, are your shoes worn out? Have you started running on a new route? Have you upped your mileage recently.

My (painful) experience of ITB is that it's something that's triggered by certain conditions, rather than an underlying physical problem. Fingers crossed it's something you can get around. I got the weights out and did loads of weighted squats to build my knees up.

Try this site, it's excellent.

Here's hoping you get over it, as I know it's an absolute git (I got a bad attack halfway roud Rotterdam mara!) I'd give the running a rest this week, do some stretches (it's a hard thing to stretch) and some squats, and hopefully by Saturday you'll be fine.
  • Options
    I see you're not the only one Pammie! :-(

And WP, what's happened to you to have to cancel races? :-(