Options

Anyone ever been last ?

has anyone ever come last (or close to last) in a race ? obviously in every race theres a last place but ive never seen anything on the web or heard of anyone coming in last.

What happens? has everyone gone?
do you get a massive cheer for effort? do people laugh?
do you get run over by the cleanup van?

hint: doing a race wk on sun and not convinced i wont be last so looking for uplifting stories

Comments

• Options
    Penguinette - is it Brighton, because if so, I'm going to be last, not you!
  • Options
    no, its roundhay in leeds !! last years 'last place' is faster than i can do presently, tho ive got a week and a half to get quicker !!

good luck in brighton !
  • Options
    have just been on the flora marathon thread - what does bequeath mean in this context ??
  • Options
    P

It means if you do not get in - just give the money to charity anyway
  • Options
    Penguinette, you won't be last. But if you are, the last person always gets a big cheer. Sometimes there's even a special prize.
  • Options
    Good luck at the roundhay race.

I have a great picture of me looking as if I was leading the Percy Pud run in Sheffield a couple of years ago, I have had to own up to being near the back, not quite last.
  • Options
    I came about 3860th out of 4000ish in the Capital City Challenge in September, so I was definitely near the back.
    But it was just great to be part of it all, and you do get massive cheers!
  • Options
    Penginette.

I've only ever been close to last (about 6 from the last place) but my club friend was a few weeks ago in a race where almost all the field were club runners. She got a special prize.

Even if you are last people will still be there to cheer you over the line. Remember others may be in front of you but some will only just be.

People are really friendly at events.

do you get run over by the cleanup van?...no, nobbling the opposition is left to the competitive lot ;-)

Hopefully you will be left with some wonderful memories. I recall in September I ran a local ladies 10k. I was towards the back of the pack. We ran through a lovely little village and a lady was in her garden clapping us all...

'Well done runner, Well done runner' she was shouting.

Her grandaughter said as I ran past (slowly!) 'Nanny they must all have real names'...

Nanny then replied 'Yes, I am sure they do, but they are all so fast that by the time I ask them they will have gone'...I suddenly felt ten foot tall and like I was running for England!
  • Options
    Hey, I came 82nd in this years Bronte Way 9 mile trail race. Problem was, there were only 86 starters!! Odd thing is, its been my favourite race of the year as it was last year when I also managed a bottom 5 finish.

My problem is I get lost quite easily, not good in a trail race with a small-ish field, though I did manage to knock a whole 11 minutes off last years time by only getting lost once. I've been lucky though because there is a Bingley lad who enters who's sense of direction is even worse than mine so I doubt I'll get the lantern rouge while ever he enters.

The thing is, its such a nice race with friendly people (especially the Keighley and Craven peeps) that I wouldnt be too concerned if i DID come last so long as they saved me a bottle of Landlord.
  • Options
    I've come in last several times, two of these last places resulted in two very nice prizes. It doesn't worry me at all but my 15 year old son always asks what position I came in and encourages me to improve.
  • Options
    LOL to chimp only getting lost once.

I nearly got lost on our latest trail race.....I was happily running along when a marshall shouted 'This way'....Instead of turning to the right I was still heading for a bright flourescent yellow footpath cut off tape. I was only feet from it when he shouted. He apologised for not shouting earlier but was apparantly stunned himself by disbelief that I couldn't see it!
  • Options
    EP I dont think 1.24 is that slow!
    I regurlarly used to come last in the 1500 meters at school.
    After that I'm more than happy with middle of the pack

I'm afraid that unless I falsley enter an orienteering race for the blind I'm never gonna win a prize!
  • Options
    Hi, i just wanted to say that I had the fear of coming last in the couple of races that I have entered. whilst I wasnt last I was quite near the back. One of the races the last runner was a boy of about 10 who got a huge cheer and probably a prize. havent been to a couple of races, i wouldnt now be bothered about coming last, as my mother used to say its the taking part that counts.

You still get a medal and a cheer enough to make you feel like youve won.

also you say that you are slower than last place last year, youll probably find youll be able to go faster on race day anyway

good luck and let us know how you get on

• Options
    I have come last in quite a lot of races. Several I have actually got a prize for being last. There is always someone there to welcome you in and I have usually had a lot of cheer from the runners who have already finished. I must admit I don't like the sweep bus following me round as I think I am holding them up but then someone has to be lst and if its not me then it would be someone else. Its the taking part that counts.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, i dont think id mind coming last now. as long as i can run the full 3 miles ill be happy. Cant wait to do it - this running lark is one of the best things ive ever taken up!
  • Options
    The other beauty of a 5k, Penginette, is the fact that the shorter distances give closer finishers anyway. So, likely as not, even the last runner in your race will only be a minute or so (if that) after the second to last.
  • Options
    not quite but within the last 10 in the prestigious national XC championships ca 20 years ago on 2 occasions. Once carrying 1 shoe and once carrying a bottle of Guinness.

the shoe was detached in Roundhay park leeds, probably due to too much alcohol causing me to forget to do up the laces. Good tip for your race penguinette - either stay off the lash or have someone check your laces.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I've only done one race since I began running as an adult, and I finished quite near the front (it was Race for Life so a lot of people walked).

I remember being entered in an inter-school championship in the 100m. The usual 100m runner was ill and I was asked to substitute. When we lined up at the start, all the other girls were about a foot taller than me (I'm quite short) and I felt intimidated before the gun even went off. Naturally, I came last.

Luckily running such as we all do now isn't like this at all - the idea is it's friendly so that people of all abilities are encouraged to carry on and enjoy it for its own sake, not simply to win.
  • Options
    Evil Pixie,

its all relative innit? If you'd come 346th in GNR you'd have been happy!
  • Options
    Penguinette

I came last in my first race, a 5K. I was three minutes behind the previous runner and was cheered across the finish line by the marshalls and plenty of other people who were still near the finish.

My experience is that in your first race you are battling with the distance, not the other competitors, so don't give a second thought about beating any of them. By your second race you will realise that it doesn't matter if you come last, it feels wonderful to cross the line.

Good luck with your race!
  • Options
    Dear Penguinette and fellow slowpokes,
    I can proudly say that I came last in my second 5k, the Glasgow Caledonian University 5k. I wasn't prepared for club runners, having only done a fun run before that. Mind you all the marshalls were lovely and cheered me on at every stage. I got a huge cheer at the finish (while bravely trying to sprint!)so it is not a bad experience. I cheered up when it was revealed that one runner actually disappeared between start and finish, so maybe I am not the worst runner GCU has ever seen after all! It has givin me a goal to aim for, second last next year. No proze for me though, but I'll suggest it to the organisers next time. After all, being last is as important as being first, someone has to do it!
    Stroll on
    Marion
  • Options
    GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    It's not worth worrying about this. I once came last in a 10mile race that I completed in faster than 10min/mile pace - obscure location, small field of hard as nails midlands runners, vile weather. The second last runner was the local 50+ women's champ.
  • Options
    I've come in second hird from last and I could see the person who came last just behind me.

We all go a big cheer and I'd spent the first half of the race keeping up with the rest of the back markers before they sped off so most of them were there to cheer me over the line.

Great race, loved it.
  • Options
    Before doing a 10K recently, I did a training cross-country run the evening before on which I went over painfully on my ankle. I was in two minds whether to do the race or not as my ankle, although not really painful, felt decidedly stiff just before the race. In the end, I did the race but took it easy as there was no way I was going to risk serious damage to my ankle. I thought I had come last (apart from one guy who I saw hobbling back to the start), as I started near the back, overtook nobody, and was overtaken by people. However, I wasn't last and turned in a time of 58 mins, which I suppose isn't too bad considering a) I'd been running about 2 months and b) the ankle. Plus most of the runners looked pretty lean and mean :-) The point I'm making is a that I wouldn't have been bothered if I had been last - I just did the race at a pace which suited me on the day.
  • Options
    well, if im not last - im certainly going to wait at the finish line so i can cheer for the one who does come last. i did the race for life in may and never even gave a thought to the people at the back.

if i am last and embarrassed about it i know my supportive hubby would drop back and be last just so i wasnt last on the stats - hes a darling!!
  • Options
    Penguinette,
    I did that for Mrs Chimp in Horsforth 10k and my running club put my time on the club notice board!!

What was worse was that Horsforth got my time/position wrong and placed me 15 seconds ahead of her making it look like I sprinted off to beat her!! Mrs Chimp was mortified because it was the first (and last!) time she beat me.
  • Options
    My other (he says better!) half doesen't run, but stands there bravely freezing to cheer me on. He looked a bit embarrased by my feeble performance! I say treasure your running spouses! And in my defence, I was at a real ale festival the night before - prehaps not what is meant by pre-race hydration!!
  • Options
    my hub doesnt even know how far he can run - that would drive me mad ! he easily does my runs and i run SO slowly, sometimes i can tell he wants to walk rather than run so slowly but he doesnt. Generally he backs me all the way - with four stones of weight lost and another 1 or 2 to go i can honestly say i couldnt have done the weight loss or running without him. And now my son (9) runs with me sometimes too !!
    Though my daughter (one of those wierd teenage beings) looks at me like im insane, and im not allowed to run past her friends houses in case they recognise im her mum and embarrass her !!