Options

am I running enough

Hi

I am running the FLM and at the moment am doing a long run of 14 miles, is this enough at this stage? I am running a total of around 30 miles a week - is this enough? I am aiming to increase by Xmas to long runs of 16 and then after xmas to 18 and then a 20 miler in March .

I will be happy if I do 4hrs 15-30 as my finishing time - this is my first marathon

zoe

Comments

• Options
    Hi Zoe,

Yes, that's more than enough at this stage. Quite a lot of people probably don't start to train for London until after Christmas and only then start working up to a long run, so being able to run 14 in November gives you a great base.

I did my first marathon last May, and used the beginners schedule from www.runnersworld.com. I stuck to it carefully and it got me round fine. I'd recommend taking a look there, as if this is your first marathon I'm sure a schedule would be helpful. There are others at www.halhigdon.com but I've not used those.

The more I read about marathons the more I conclude that high weekly mileage in training makes for a much more enjoyable experience on the day (as well as for faster times). I'm hoping to do London this year, and I'm hoping to build up (carefully) to weekly mileage of 40+ (ideally 50+) once I get going. I know it's not essential, as I've done two marathons now on less mileage than that, but this time round I'd like to be able to enjoy the run more than I did on the earlier occasions :) I'm sure 30 mpw is fine, but I'm equally sure that you'll feel the benefit later of any extra mileage you're able to put in during training, as long as you build up to it carefully in order to avoid injury. That takes me back to the www.runnersworld.com schedules :) Good luck!
  • Options
    I agree with WP. You have a good base at the moment to take you through to the FLM. As WP also says, look for a schedule that suits you and try to keep to it as much as possible. If you can do this, your confidence levels going into the marathon will be excellent.
    Also, look to do a few races. Depending on where you live, the Reading half, and also the Kingston breakfast run (8m and 16m) are good. Maybe a few 10k's earlier in the year as well. These are good for your fine tuning the race prep, and also add a bit of fun (which is what it's all about after all!).
  • Options
    yes your mileage is very good for now , dont increase the miles too soon as you might burn yourself out or peak before the day , try to follow the runners world training plan , but dont be frightened of adapting it to suit your own needs, my advice is join a running club and get one to one advice from a coach who will get to know you as an individual, you dont have to be an elite athlete to belong to a club
  • Options
    there is a 18 week novice marathon training program on www.halhigdon.com , if you use this program you would start training for the marathon on the 15th dec. it does suggest that you should be able to comfortably run distances of 3 and 6 miles, run 3-5 days per week, averaging 15-25 miles per week.

hal higdon also has also written a book called 'Marathon', the ultimate training guide. this is a great source of reference if you are a marathon virgin.
  • Options
    ZOE
    You doing just great at the moment. 14 is miles more then me and i don't really get going until the new year. The most i've run this week is 12 miles, so stick with what you've planned. You'll be physically and mentally in better shape come the marathon scehdule time. Wish i was running a 14 mile long run now. Infact, having read your's, i feel i need to get out and do some more mileage tomorrow. Thanks....you've inspired me to get of my butt and start in earnst.
  • Options
    Zoe - that's excellent !

I ran my first FLM this year after taking up running in 2001. AT this point last year my longest run was 4 miles ! So you are 10 miles ahead of me !

And I'm further behind at the moment - no running at all due to a broken leg - Curses !
  • Options
    Thanks for your messages of support :) I am in a running club - Belgrave harriers and just wanted to ensure I was doing enough at this stage.

Zoe
  • Options
    suonds ok to me, be sensible and build your mileage up slowly,also try and do a couple short faster runs a week as doing long runs tends to blunt your speed....be lucky