Options

Heart rate monitor for a Mac?

Does anyone know of a comprehensive heart rate monitor that will 'plug in' to a Mac running OS X - NOT a PC.

Comments

• Options
    Stealthman. I've got the same problem, I use Macs at work and at home. I've got a Polar 720 which on the face of it doesn't connect.

However, there was a short description in 220 magazine recently about how Joe Beer links his Polar to an iBook. As I understand it you need to use the Polar SERIAL infra red device (not the USB) and then connect it to the Mac using a Keyspan Serial to USB adapter. Why? I have no idea.

You then need to use a different software which you can download from ... i've forgotten! ... but will dig it out for you.

Having said that I tried all the above and still couldn't get it to work, so have been meaning to email Joe Beer for an idiot's guide. I'll do it today and let you know of any response.
  • Options
    There's no software that polar offer, but there is a piece of software I use called Training Log, hang on I'll find a url,

http://www.otag.co.uk/TrainingLog/

They have a beta that works with polar hrm's. I'm about to upgrade my polar to one that does downloads. Polar have also started shipping a usb version of their ir interface, which is what I shall get.

Otag are a great company to deal with, I've been using training log for a while now, and it does everything I need. I've had a couple of issues, but a quick email to Stuart at otag and i get instant response. They are very customer centric and if you have a problem they will help out very quickly.

I recently asked about which polar monitors they support and this is the reply I received.

Hi Justin,
    TrainingLog supports the Polar S610, S710/720/725 & S810 models. You need the Polar IR-Serial interface and a USB-Serial Adaptor. The files created by TrainingLog are pretty close to Polar's .hrm files, but since there's no
    documentation for the format (that I know of), they may not be identical.

I've since emailed Stuart to see if they have tested the usb interface, but he's on holiday until the end of the week, when I'm sure I'll get a quick reply.

I have no connection to Otag, just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers,

J.
  • Options
    I think that is the point I was making mr_mf. For some reason the software doesn't work with the USB interface (which I also have). You have to buy the Serial interface plus the adapter. Stupid, but true apparently.

And Stealthman, Otag is the company name I was trying to remember so there you go. You know as much as me now, and I still can't get it to work!
  • Options
    sorry should have read more closely. I have a keyspan adapter, so I can get the serial interface. Can't imagine why the usb doesn't work, be interesting to hear what Stuart has to say about it.

J.
  • Options
    Still not sure this would download all the equivilent data you would get through a PC - such as a altitude and heart rate comparison chart - the Otag site does not show that? does the Otag software generate it's own info?
  • Options
    Altitude?

Do some of the polar's have either a baro sensor or a gps? I would guess that if you're interested in altitude, then you'll need either of the above, can't see how a hrm would get that otherwise.

Don't know exactly what the otag software will do, as I don't have the downloadable unit yet. Drop Stuart a line, he'll be back from august 1st, and he'll clue you in on what the otag software is capable.

I've asked him if he has any plans to incorporate gps data, such as the forerunner, in a future update. I expect to hear back from him next week.

J.
  • Options
    The 720 does altitude.
  • Options
    would pc software run with it if you run "virtual pc" on the mac?

also, since OS X is based on Unix , i bet someone out there has already written something for Unix that will run on the mac
  • Options
    No, I tried virtual pc. The software runs fine but the computer still won't talk to the 720.