Options

Worried not up to it...

Just starting out and 4 weeks inot this website's 6-week training plan for a 5K.. and the end of week 6 really is a 5K race. Concerned that I'm jogging and everyone else will be "running / racing". I'm a way off running the whole 5k yet... so certainly couldn't up the pace and keep wiht the gang. Any help or advice appreciated... don't want to pull out but don't want to be a plum!

Comments

• Options
    Mike - I had similar worries when I did my first face, but they really were unfounded. Obviously it will depend on the race, but generally speaking there really are people of all standards doing them. Even after six weeks of training I very much doubt if you'll be last. Odds are you'll be quite a long way from last as well.

Go and do it - you'll be glad you did :o)
  • Options
    hi, i agree with Iain, im sure you wont be last, I had the same worry when i did a 10k, whilst I was near the back i wasnt last and to be honest I wouldnt have cared if I was!

Which race are you going in for? as the running fitness mag rather helpfully print the last persons time in the event section. I can check if you want me to.

good luck

ps if you come last you usually get a prize too!
  • Options
    Mike, start your first race right at the very back.

Then, after the start, overtake one person, then another, then another, then another...

You'll find that very satisfying, picking them off one by one.

• Options
    Mike,

Don't worry - just go at your own pace :) No-one will be thinking bad things about your speed, even if you are at the back. You'll still be going much faster than the vast percentage of the population who never run. Just take your own time and make sure you enjoy it, which is really the only important thing :)
  • Options

It wouldn't matter if you were last, anyway. They don't put your photo on the front page of the Sun with a caption "this guy was last, hey look everybody!" Someone has to be last.

One of these days I'm going to find a race and be last, just for the experience. In fact, if you let me know which race you are in, I'll come and be last there. Especially if there's a prize.

• Options
    Suggestions and support appreciated - thanks. It's the Solent Saunter end of November... I'll pst how well / crap I get on! Thanks again
  • Options
    I did my first half marathon last month, smallish field, mostly squaddies, and guess what? I was last.

So what?
    I completed the race (didn't get a prize though!), I was pleased with my time, and as has been said before, someone has to be last.

You are better off doing the race and being last, than just not bothering, honestly, I know, I've been there!
  • Options
    Mike,
    fat girl slim is so right. I did my first 10k last month, never run that far before only been running 8 weeks then, I was joint last, didn't matter I finished that was the main thing. Well done fgs (I'm hoping to do my first half next march). Go for it Mike.
  • Options
    mike i started running as a major lardie in july,got to my first race-windsor 1/2m in september-everyone but me looked the part etc,felt thoroughly intimidated,started right at the back and had a great time overtaking.did a repeat at the nyc marathon last weekend,i think we overtook 7000 people going round!!helps keep the pain away.if you're training at all sensibly you'll still do better than people that haven't.
    and i'm inspired by a quote i picked up in a us running mag from a coach to his group of marathon runners.he said that he tells his guys that however slowly they run,they beat all the folks that run slower,all the ones that entered but didn't show up,all the ones that run but never race,and everyone that never runs.so,at any distance,even if you come last,you'beaten a very large number of people.
  • Options
    Alex is right.
    Go do it and enjoy yourself and celebrate the fact that you are actually out there and running.
  • Options
    hi, mike just checked the times of the solent saunter, last place was 44 mins. And its for the lifeboats so you are running for a good cause.

go for it and enjoy...

• Options
    Oracle,
    awwww, thanks very much. Were you there then? and how do you have such a good memory for race numbers?
  • Options
    As has been said, it doesn't matter if you do come last, but 44 minutes is pretty slow so I'd be surprised.

About the only advice is not to go off too fast - just start at a comfortable pace, and once you're settled you can always speed up. Gradually picking off those in front is a great motivator, as has already been said. I did this in my first race, and it worked a treat!

The following year I tried to go off with the leaders, which wasn't a good idea as it involved Gary Staines, who paced the London Marathon a few months before that. Whoops! Needless to say I was left for dead within about 50 metres!!
  • Options
    Go for it, my first 'race' was a 2K fun run. I was the oldest runner by at least 25 years (average age of entrants ~10) so standing at the start felt a tad humiliating. I almost chickened out but thought 'sod it' and went for it. I wasn't last and am as proud of my medal as any FLM runner!