Options

Snowdon Horseshoe 11.5Km

Hey there,
Having recently run the Snowdon Race (see my thread on that), I am now inspired to try a run around the Snowdon Horseshoe. Anyone here got any experience of doing that? What route did you take? How was the going? What shoes did you use? What kit did you take? How long did it take? Etc.
Cheers.
Bilbo Baggins

Comments

• Options
    Hi Bilbo, I think your a brave man to run the Horseshoe. Ive walked/climbed around the ridge line in climbing boots a few times but good luck with the run attempt, let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Hey Birdman,
    Thanks for your good wishes. Not sure if it will be this year - or ever! I'll be walking the Horseshoe over the weekend of 20-23 Aug. Fingers crossed for some good weather; if only for the views. I've got a few commitments in my diary before year-end which will probably interfere with any serious attempt on running the Horseshoe this year. Weather will be a big deciding factor. If we get an Indian summer, maybe Sept or even Oct would be good for an attempt. Any time after that would probably be inadvisable. (I'm not that mad!) We'll see anyway.
    Cheers.
    Bilbo
  • Options
    Not a race no. Just a personal challenge. Probably not possible to run it all anyway what with the arete at Crib Goch and the steep ups and downs. I plan to "see how it goes". Run/Walk is probably sensible. Thanks for your good wishes.
    Bilbo
  • Options
    Hi Bilbo - best of luck! I've done it a couple of times as a challenge to self - best to go early in the morning (7am?) from Pen-y-pass so as to avoid the crowds - look on it as a good fast session in the hills rather than a run - enjoy the sensation of moving quickly/lightly over the rocks of Crib Goch (what do walkers manage to carry with them?). I think that the Snowdon circuit from the south is in some ways a bettter run - from Nant Gwynant -Watkin Path - Yr Aran - Bwlch Main - Snowdon summit - Lliwedd and then cross country back to start - far fewer folks around and Snowdon South ridge is much more runnable. Whatever you do, don't do Watkin Path to the summit, it's a sod up the final scree zig-zags.

Let us know how you get on