Options

Rest before a race

Ive been finding that if ive gone four days without running i do really well. however every other day and i get tired quicker.
My question is this - i have a race on sunday, should i rest for four days or just a couple, as the race day will give me the motivation/energy??

Comments

• Options
    If it works for you resting for 4 days then why change it, theres not much you can do in the next 6 days so I would stick to what works personally.

Best wishes for the race, NN
  • Options
    Good luck Penginette. Don't go out too fast and decide to use any resources left in the last mile rather than the first. Enjoy the day and try to relax.

• Options
    My best performances have been afte a 6 day rest penguinette. So I would say put your feet up and watch some telly!
  • Options
    Good luck on sunday penguinette, write a report here about it. I rested for 2 days before my first 10k. Hope the weather is kind to you, make sure you stay warm.
  • Options
    Rest a much as you need. i usually have a week's rest before 10 miles or 1/2M and 4-5 days before a 10k or 5 miler.
  • Options
    I'm with Dangly. In fact this year, I did nothing between Chevin Chase on 26th Dec (ok, last year) and Brass Monkey toward the end of January and I didnt seem to suffer any ill effects at the end of the BM. If anything it gives those niggling little aches and pains time to clear up. Then again, I am a lazy sod!
  • Options
    well, i did a 5k-er this morning and my son wants to do a run with me tomorrow night (only coz i said he could go on his bike!!) so i may just do a few miles tomorrow with him then relax til the weekend.

im so nervous !!!

will eat veg and pasta all week in preparation (maybe then the WIND will help me round!!!!!)

thanks guys !
  • Options
    Hi Penguinette,
    What race are you doing? I'm doing my first race on Sunday too - The Brighton 10K with hoards of other forumites so it should be good fun.
    I'm nervous too, and have decided not run beyond Thursday as I seem to be better if I have had a couple of idle days.
    Hope it goes well - either way - we should both have new PBs by Monday!
  • Options
    good luck for the brighton run.

Im doing roundhay - 5k.

Let me know how you get on !!!!
  • Options
    Rest is a relative term. There's no point taking a day off from running if you spend 8 hours shopping the day before a big race. I prefer the tapering down approach rather than complete rest. I ran my PB's or 10k and 10m during a 12 week period when I ran everyday. How you race is more dependant on what you've done in the previous weeks and months (and even years) than on what you do in the days beforehand. That said, do what you feel most comfortable with - probably best not to break a routine.
  • Options
    I always run better after a break of 5 days or so. I don't know whether a longer break would be as good as I'm only a beginner. I think bazza is right on that. If 10k is not something unusual for you, you could probably take it in your stride (as it were!) whatever you did the week before.
  • Options
    okay - im doing my last run tonight. its with my son on his bike and a neighbour, who after seeing me venture out on wet and windy mornings and equally bad evenings has been inspired to begin running (i inspired someone !!! how great is that !!!). So i think it will be an easy run (ill DIE if she can go further and faster than me on her initial run!) and then its saunas and jacuzzis in the gym for the rest of the week!
    now im off to start a thread on what i should eat!!! (hey, at least i know what to wear!!!)