Options

and now for something diferent...orienteering...WOW !

I've done the odd triathlon, 10k race, 1/2 marathon, marathon etc etc but decided to try something different.... orienteering.
Has this sport been mentioned in RW ? Me being a complete novice I found that everyone was so keen and helpful. Consider it as a Fartlekk run, lots of running, sprinting, walking, hills and mud.
and unlike running events the fittest fastest runner doesn't win.

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My map reading would certainly put me at the back of the pack. So although I love the kind of terrain they normally take place on the idea of getting lost is a put off.
  • Options
    Orienteering is 100% ace, specially through a forest or etc (the Delamere Forest events are really good). Give it a go!
  • Options
    I fancy some of that adventure racing myself
    Looks dead easy on the telly !
  • Options
    Did my first O-event in 1968! Have been 5 times to the Swiss 5-days event, it's fabulous, thousands of orienteers from all over the world including Oz and the Far East, running a different course each day of 5, cumulative time through day 4 gives the order for a chasing start on the last day. I'll never forget starting just below the Eiger, on the Grindelwald, in pouring rain - at the finish my legs couldn't stop shaking! An experience never to be forgotten - especially the communal standpipe cold showers on the mountainside! The Swedes showed us all how to dry our O-clothes too - hold them under the hair dryers at the local swimming pool!
    A blast - I thoroughly recommend orienteering as a supplement to regular running training.
  • Options
    I did orienteering for a few years. I was really chuffed that it's a sport where even a novice can enter the NATIONAL level competition without having to do trials and knock out competitions. It's how i started running!
    Anyone want to give it a try have a look for the British Orienteering Federation website.
  • Options
    I have been orienteering for years and I would recommend it!
  • Options
    oh the other thing.......the cost.
    The event for my self and partner was £4.00 + £1.00 for the hire of the electronic dibber .
    I'm considering doing a 10k this Sunday at a cost of £9.00 (and there are no t shirt at the end).
  • Options
    I fancy getting into orienteering to improve my navigation and my potential for adventure racing. I have done one adventure race which was excellent, but we didn't have to do any navigation.
  • Options
    We did a small piece on orienteering in the May 2001 issue - so search back through your old copies. (Or drop me a line!)

Rob (RW)
  • Options
    Like Hilly, I've always fancied it, but map-reading isn't one of my stronger points. I've actually got lost going home from work one evening !!
  • Options
    The maps used are very large scale 1:10,000 ( 1cm on the map = 100 metres ) and at the event I did, most of the check points were 300 metres apart . The entire course was in an area of 2.5km by 2km.
  • Options
    Not all maps, TB - depends on the area and detail of the terrain used. Some maps are 1 to 15,000, some are 1 to 20,000. But it isn't difficult to convert. On a 1 to 10 map 1cm represents 45 double paces for me - so it follows that on the 1 to 20 1cm is 90 paces. Dead easy. And on the longer courses you do need to know how far you have run, especially if running on a compass bearing direct through the woods - if you estimate it, you'll be wrong 99 times out of a 100!