Options

Carbohydrate Depletion Diet

How many of you have tried it and did it work for you ????

Comments

• Options
    Is this the one where you eat protien and no complex carbs? If so I know some who tried and managed to stick to it - and it worked, and some who didn't.

love pasta - could never do it

it's detox as well - if itried to live withou caffiene - well i would have been in bed at nine
  • Options
    It is a fad diet (A.K.A. The Atkinson diet) and should be treated as such –

The reason you loose weight is you body becomes starved of carbs thus reducing the amount of glycogen and therefore reducing the amount of water in you body

You lose weight by loosing predominately water, which will be replaced when you finish the diet thus you end up on a body weight seesaw

On top of that this form of diet results in halitosis and could lead to kidney damage
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    I've not tried it, but my best friend and my wife have both tried it. Best friend lost nearly 4 stone last year, which has stayed off, with no side effects (she now has a gorgeous body and looks brilliant). Didn't work for my wife or anyone else I've spoken to who has tried it.

Very difficult diet to stick to but beware of the possible side effects as detailed above by WW.
  • Options
    From a man who was 3 stone overweight not so long ago...

I have been using a low carb high protein diet on and off for 4 months with no ill effects - I have lost 2 stone though!

This is not a fad diet if you do it correctly: its not a detox diet either and you will not get cravings or go hungry.

If you get serious (ie more than 2 weeks) your body adjusts to lack of carbs but halitosis is expierenced by some people - mainly due to the fact you are losing fat so quickly that all the toxins stored there are excreted quickly too and a lot end up in your mouth!

If you are really serious, pick up a book called Protein Power Lifeplan by Eades from Amazon UK (i'm not sure if its in the shops here yet)

Oh yeah, one last point: this isnt a cheap diet. Keeping a BALANCED varied diet tends to be expensive when you stop eating starches.
  • Options
    Depends what you mean, Kessman.

Very low-carb diets, in the long term, are not palatable, the side-effects can be unpleasant (bad breath, smelly urine and reduced exercise tolerance), and there may be safety concerns. They are not regarded by and mainstream consensus as being a healthy lifestyle choice.

Short-term carbohydrate depletion, on the other hand, is a recognised race preparation technique where, immediately prior to carbo-loading, you run your glycogen stocks right down by 24-48 hours of a low-carb diet and intensive exercise. The theory is that your muscles will be all the more receptive to the pasta and pizza you are then going to provide them with. The experts' opinions are divided on whether or not it makes a noticeable difference. I haven't tried it - I don't aim to perform at that sort of level. Any of our near-elites given it a whirl?
  • Options
    tut tut tut! I believe there is a programme on friday about what the Atkins diet does to you! Making your pee smell of tuna is the nicest one
  • Options
    From a regular runners point of view I don't think this diet is a long term option. Whilst in Dublin marathon training mode in August of this year I decided to cut down the carbs and concentrate more on proteins to lose weight for my holiday. Within a short amount of time my training deteriorated dramatically and I was constantly tired and a little depressed.

It had to be due to the diet and I will never go there again!!!! Wonder if I'm a little diabetic too?????
  • Options
    I think i should have explained in a little more detail.
    This is the pre-marathon diet,NOT RECOMMENDED LONG TERM,you do a depletion 12/15mile run on the sunday before your marathon,the next 3days are protein only,you run has best you can on these days,not easy.Then rest and load up on carbohydrates.The muscles hopefully load with extra glycogen and stops you from hitting the wall ?? Dosn't work for everyone.
    Ron Hill intially tried it after reading what swedish cyclists had tried to stop them 'BONKING'hitting the wall in cycling terms,no other comments please.