Options

Can I lose a minute ?

I've just entered the Wilmslow half marathon. I have been running for about 12 weeks now, have completed 1 10k race at about 12 minute mile pace (well crawl then). Problem is the form says this half marathon is a grade 1 race with a 2hr 35min time limit.
1 What exactly does that mean ?
2 Can I train to run 1min per mile faster and over 13.1 miles in the time between now and March 23 ? In other words do the race in 2.35
I've entered this half because it's local to me and my daughter and her boyfriend are doing it as well (they'll be leaving me well behind)

Comments

• Options
    First of all, don't worry about taking a minute a mile off your time. 2:35 is 11min 50sec per mile, so your almost there already.
    The time limit normally means that is the time after which all the backup is taken away. So the drinks stations are removed & the roads are opened up to traffic again, so you will be expected to carry on on the pavement. There is sometimes a 'sweep up' vehicle that, if it catches you up, you can give up & go on the vehicle, or go on but without backup.
  • Options
    Hi Ermintrude,

If you get the chance to get out and run regularly between now and the half then I bet you can beat the time limit easily. I've not been running awfully long (about 18 months) and have found that just putting in the miles has resulted in an increase in speed without a positive effort to get faster. It sounds as though you're doing just fine already :) Good luck :)
  • Options
    I'm sure as you train more that your stamina will increase so you'll get the 21km, and your speed will naturally increase too. You've got five months or so - nearly twice as long as you've been running already, so ther'es plenty of room for improvement. 10km in that time is better than I managed.

They're not exactly going to come and grab you off the road with a bulldozer after 2:35, probably more as Baz suggests, so even if you do go over time (which I doubt) it isn't really an issue.

Best of luck :o)
  • Options
    Hi Ermintrude

I'm doing the Wilmslow Half too and am up to your mileage. I'm sure we'll get much faster by March 23rd.

Good Luck with your training
  • Options
    Munchkin & Ermintrude

Live near Wilmslow but having just moved have only just heard about this one. Is it too late to enter?

Just done my first half marathon and managed to do 10 min miles. In training I was nowhere near thet good. I just think the adrenaline etc gets you going. You'll be fine. Otherwise get rollerskates.....
  • Options
    H

There is a website for the Wilmslow Half with an entry form you can down loan. The address is www.wilmslowhalf.org.uk
  • Options
    Cheers
    See you there?
    I'll be the one in the rollerskates...
  • Options
    Just been on their website.
    £8000 first prize - will fight you for it!
  • Options
    Look forward to seeing you there Munchkin and H, I will be easy to recognise as I'll be the one at the back ! The thought of running no slower than about 11.27 minutes per mile for 31.1 miles terrifies me.
  • Options
    yes and so it should for 31.1 miles !!! I mean 13.1.
  • Options
    Don't worry!

Its a nice flatish course with no unexpected hills on it. We three could run at the rear and really enjoy it - I don't think for a minute we will be last - the last runner last year came in at 2 hours 40 minutes.

I'm trying to do a very slow 10 miler tomorrow - Sunday - and am following the 4-day a week schedule which was in Runners World last month. Does either of you live near to me? I live in Bolton.
  • Options
    I'm in Sale.
    Am still wondering about this one. Have applied for FLM & think I've got in (cheque cashed, didn't bequeath etc) so am wondering if Wilmslow being only 3/4 weeks before is such a good idea??
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Have you guys considered the Four Villages in Jan in Helsby (there's a thread on 'events')?
  • Options
    I cycled the route this morning (went the wrong way twice and I live there!). It seems an awful long way to me as 10k is my longest run so far, still at least it's flat, just one or two small rises. You're further on than me Munchkin if you can manage 10 miles, sorry I'm not closer to Bolton.
    H I don't know if the Wilmslow half is too close to FLM (hope you've got in). I suppose you'll be running further than 13.1 at weekends anyway, perhaps Helsby is a better bet though. I'm not sure I will be ready for a half marathon in Jan, especially with Christmas looming.
  • Options
    Ermintrude
    I think you underestimate yourself.
    I had never run more than 8 miles at once before my first half & I finished in 2hrs 10. It's true that your adrenaline and the enthusiasm of the crowd/other racers gets you round. I've been slacking a bit lately but went out at the weekend & bought new gear so maybe this'll be my incentive to get going!!! I met a woman in the running shop this weekend too who did Wilmslow and FLM Last year so I think I will apply. See you there (hopefully!)

• Options
    H

Loads of people use the Wilmslow as a sort of training race for the FLM. I'm doing the FLM this year - deferred my place from last year due to injury - so it would be great to keep in touch to discuss training etc.
  • Options
    Hi
    Just thought I'd join to offer encouragement. Between now and March you certainly will be able to improve. I started running in May (to do the 5k Race for Life) and although I had 7 weeks off in the summer due to injury I have managed to just complete my first half marathon in 1h 51 when 8 weeks ago I only manged the same distance in 2hrs 10minutes. So you will be able to do it if you keep up the running over the winter. Even if you don't manage a great pace what does it really matter, the achievement of completing your first half marathon to me was far better than worrying about the time. The atmosphere was just super and also I think it is not all about times, some of us are in it for the fun not to be competitive.
  • Options
    Munchkin,
    You're doing Wilmslow? If you're doing FLM too after deferring last year you're probably more prepared (and faster!) than me. Still if you have any advice for a relative novice let me know.
    Is anyone following any set training programmes?
    Susan, Well done on the improvement in times. I want to get to under 2 hrs so you give me hope. You advise just to keep at it? Any other hot tips?
  • Options
    Afraid no hot tip except I have just found a running partner after running since May on my own and would just say this helps a lot, it helps keep your motivation up and also (if you can talk when running) it helps the run pass far quicker and the hills don't seem quite so bad. Good luck with the half marathon. I am afraid I still have to keep my own motivation up as I am now oncourse (for charity) to run the FLM in April all going well. Just discovererd the RW forums and it is good to have others to "talk" with.