Options

YOU CAN DO IT

This is a message to all the new or old runners out there, whether you are running to get fit, loose weight or win a marathon.

I just wanted to tell you my story and hopefully give you a bit encouragement to give it you best and go for that run even when its cold and wet.

3 years ago i was 100 kilos (I think thats about 16.5 stone)which for a 5'11" male is very overweight. I ate rubbish smoked 30 fags a day and drank like a fish.

I decided to get fit i dont know why i just did. It started with very short runs which progressed to 1 mile, 2, 2.5 and then up to about 4. The weight really started to shift and i was getting fit, it was the best fealing.

In the past 16 months i really started to enjoy my running which i must admit was not always the case. I decided while watching the london marathon that i would one day run it or one similar, all my friends laughed as they did when i said i would get fit. Well this year i decided, that was it, i was going to run the New York marathon, I only chose New York as i had to pay allot of money and that i knew would keep me running.

Well surfice to say i did a whole heap of running this year and found that i could not smoke and run so gave that up at christmas, with the knowlege that if i didnt i would be throwing away over £1000 and a trip to new york as i would never be able to run the marathon having smoked through the training.

I worked really hard this year to get fit and run a good time. I just ran my first marathon in 3hrs 18mins you can check the marathon website if you dont believe me my name is tom baker, position around the 1698 mark which out of 30,000 runners isnt bad. I am also in great shape and have never fealt so good.

This was not a message to say how great i was but to say it is runnings can be tough and some days it really hurts. When that rain is pooring down or it is snowing outside it is so much nicer to stay in bed, but all i can say is if i can do it so can you.

GO FOR A RUN and believe me if it isnt already your running will get fun.

Just a quick note to say the way i did all this was through goals or rewards and it does work.

Buy a very expensive gym membership and pay in advance or every month buy a new piece of running kit, believe me the thought of the money does spur you on. Sign up for that marathon or the 10 k or the 5k. Just get out there and do it, not because you must but because you want to and you can.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU

TOM

ps sorry its so long

Comments

• Options
    Nice story tom - I'm 96kg - 5'11 and about to give up smoking tonight so you may actually be me in 3 years (or however that works)

Damn good marathon time
  • Options
    Tom,

Your post brought a tear to my piggy little eye! It brought back lots of memories of dragging myself out to train, train, train in wind, rain, hail and darkness earlier in the year in the run up to my first marathon, when really I was knackered and just wanted to give it a rest. It reminded me of how I felt in that run when quite suddenly it turned out that I had only 1 mile to go, and realised that I was actually about to complete a marathon. There's no feeling quite like it :)

Many congratulations on your fantastic time in New York, and on your great achievement. I'm glad you sent a long post - I enjoyed every word :)
  • Options
    Hey, lizard!

Very best of luck with your dump smoking attempt. That was another aspect of Tom's account that rang a bell with me, as I gave up smoking last March when all my post long run asthmatic gasping in the kitchen finally persuaded me that smoking and running were fundamentally incompatible... Stick with it and reclaim your life: the effort is definitely worth it. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Tom Baker , respect is due ( of course any reference here to Doctor Who and the Tardis would be rather inappropriate )
  • Options
    Thanx Tom. Sometimes I need all the words of encouragement I can get!
  • Options
    Nice one Tom. I've gained a lot of personal satisfaction in my short time running. Back in August I couldn't run for more than a minute without having to stop, but on Sunday managed to run 7 miles without stopping.

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph, I bought a £50 pair of Sauconys soon after beginning running, which for me is a big expense on a luxury item. That purchase went some way to ensuring I kept going.

Congrats on the NY time, thats excellent.

Cheers,
    Tractor.
  • Options
    Tom

Thank you

Nick

PS - 3:18! wow, you deserve all the good feelings you're getting
  • Options
    Tom - what an achievement! Well done you!
  • Options
    Tom great story you should be very proud of yourself, and when I go to the new TK Max at lunchtime because I know they have lots of lovely sports clothes in, I shall buy myself some new kit as an incentive for more running.
  • Options
    Tom you are a star and an inspiration. Well done and thanks
  • Options
    Wow TOm you are amazing!! How did you get so fast!! I was even heavier (17st 2) and am now 12st (most lost through going to gym - started running last end Dec, and lost another 2.5 stone (no dieting!! - honest!), I can go about 8 miles now, bit SLOW (11 min miles). I want to go faster and longer ( I have entered Bath 1/2!! - help!!) and would LOVE to do 10 min miles.

Keep us posted on your progress - good stories are fab with all the crap in the news!!
    :O))
  • Options
    Thanks Tom, it is stories like this that help me when I do not feel like running. Thanks for helping make us beginners more determined.

Penny, know the feeling.. I am doing the Bishop Stortford 10 mile on Sunday and am currently wondering whether I am being overambitious or just a scaredy cat!But I guess you don't know if you don't try.

Keep the success stories coming guys!
  • Options
    Tom see what you made me do, I had to buy a Patagonia wicking top, and they had a lovely windproof jacket that just jumped into my hand, so thats Thursdays run sorted, oh and I bought my other half a fleece, probably to justify going back next week to have another look at the lovely sheep skin jackets.
  • Options
    Hi Pansie

Is it your first race? 10M is great!! I wanted to try a 10 miles in about Dec time but don't fancy the one near us and I am sure I will be last AND iti is hilly!!

Let us know how you get on - i bet you'll feel so proud when you finish. I did when I did my first race - 1oK jubilee in the summer!

Good luck and go for it!! GIRL POWER !! :o)
  • Options
    Thanks Penny! Yes it is officially my first race. Talk about throw myself in at the deepend. The most I have run outside is 6 miles recently although I am pretty sure that I could have carried on for another couple of miles (even if they were slow). I might be overstretching myself, but at least I will have tried...even if I do come last! So fingers crossed for me folk!
  • Options
    Hi Tom

Well done, you are inspirational! I enjoyed every word of your thread. What a brilliant time for your Marathon. Are you planning on another one?

Respect
  • Options
    Good Luck Pansie,

I had only ever run 9 miles before i did my first Great North Run this year, i'm pleased to say that my legs very kindly continued plodding for the remaining 4.1 untrained miles. So if i can do then i'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    Thanks for the inspiration Tom - I have just registered for my first half marathon. Good luck Pansie - you are encouraging me to get on and enter my first ever race; 10K just after Christmas.
    Thanks to you both.
  • Options
    Thanks Tom, and well done what an achievment.
    I've been running/thundering for six weeks now. No real weight loss yet, but who cares I feel great, can only do 2 and a bit miles at one go, but I'll stick to it.
    Might even enter something next year now just to have a goal. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    WOW Tom - what a great story and a great achievement - you're an inspiration to us all.

Keep up the good work!

I was feeling abit low today but you have now inspired me to get out a do my training tonight - even if it is p***ing down.

I think sometimes I take being able to run for granted - not any more.
  • Options
    Excellent story Tom - thanks for sharing. I'm 1 1/2 stone into a hopefully 3 1/2 stone weight loss. You rang some bells with me.

Well done on New York time.

• Options
    Thanks Tom, you've given me a lift in advance of tonight's 6 mile run. I've recently started running again after a 2 year injury break. I'm halfway to my weight loss target, but now need all the motivatation I can get to survive the Lancashire winter !!

Great marathon time. If I get into London, I'll be out to beat you!!!!
  • Options
    Well done Tom - great encouragement for someone who's 103kg and 1.76m (16 stone and 5'10" for you Imperial measurers). Yeh - I'm overweight but as a retired rugby prop forward I'm NEVER going to be lean, as a lot of my weight is muscle. I'm doing halfs in 1:45 but a 3:18 marathon - well I'm in the FLM next year (Golden Bond) so I'll see if I can match your time but suspect not.
  • Options
    Hi Keith,

Lancashire, eh? I hope you're thinking of doing the Hutton 10 miler in Hutton, Preston on Sunday? 10am start - lots of fun :) Details on URWFRC page.
  • Options
    Great inspiration and what a marathon, (Snickers?) time, well done.

I started running at the end of August for a 4K sponsored fun run and have kept going. The new Mizuno Wave Riders at £70 were my treat and motivation to keep at it but I wonder, how did you go about ditching the killer weed?

I don't run any great distances 4-5 miles 3 times a week at about 7 minute miles all DIY but still smoke. Does it make a huge difference to pace/recovery? I'm not struggling with breathing, never had asthma etc. but I do struggle with the motivation to run further. I have however on the strength of all the people in this forum decided to do the Chelmsford 10K and see how I get on.

Any brilliant ideas anyone?
    Cheers All
  • Options
    Go for it CM. Lots of luck to you.
  • Options
    Sorry I meant CN (Clearly Nuts)
  • Options
    Decided I would run early this morning - got out of bed, looked out the window, went back to bed, overslept, was late for work etc etc.
    Will print this out as my motivation to continue. Thanx. I may never be late again!
  • Options
    Advice needed folk- woke up this morning with the beginnings of a cold (sore throat, nose a bit tickly) It isn't necessarily gonna get worse but I have got my first race on Sunday and need to feel 100%. What can I do to prevent this developing... any tips?
  • Options
    Get out of bed, look out the window, go back to bed, oversleep, be late for work....