Options

Coventry Way

so as not to steer the L2B thread any further of topic...here its very own thread.

I wonder how many runners are entering?

Comments

• Options
    looking at last years results it's pretty low key.. in fact with 4 of us from the forum owned up to it so far we're a good way to doubling the number of runners.
  • Options
    One of the main reasons I entered it was it looked nice and low key. (plus the pictures of the route looked very scenic)

..no pressure to get around it quick - Im a bit undertrained after injury.

...looking through the results mind 5:22 is the course record....thats definately not slow!
  • Options
    Well I won't be doing it in 5.22. I will be taking it very steady and aiming to keep running as long as possible. What sort of time are people aiming for? I am really unsure as it is a big unknown for me as I have never been this far.

I will get there between 8-8.30 i agree with Ed i think it would be good to start together
  • Options
    i'm not sure how quick tim is at the moment... sure he'll find this thread sometime soon.

7hrs would be good pace (well close to the one that i'm supposed to be running L2B at) but off-road bits and cream tea stops might bump it up closer to the 8-8:30 mark.

hard to say till i get to kenilworth :)
  • Options
    Not sure about pacing - I will probably use my usual tactic of setting off miles faster than I should do then struggling like hell in the last third of the race.

Id like to get inside 6:30 - giving me 4:15 for the marathon mark and then 2:15 for the remaining 14 mile. thats what im gonna aim for anyway, if I end up burning out early then I can just suffer all the way to the finish :-)

I guess it also depends on how many wrong turns you take to - I find my concentration on Navigating flags the more tired I get.

Then you got how you feel on the day.....The weather....I really hope its not torrential rain all day.

One things for sure I have a whole barrel load of excuses prepped and ready!

At the very least we should meet up at the start and say hello, and wish each other good luck!

• Options
    Off roaders are allways slower, you've got to include getting lost time as well!!!
    I don't even know how fit I am at teh moment, the summer 5k times were very dissapointing but unsurprising! 22-23 minutes, whole minutes slower than last year. So I guess I shouldn't be too ambitious, I'm doing it for the distance. I would guess 8 hours maybe?
  • Options
    for some reason i'm expecting you to be wearing a pack jason... dunno why.

dont have my booklet with me... is the running start times 9-10 ?
  • Options
    I thought the runners started at 9, but there doesn't seem to be a set start, I think the earlier the better though?
  • Options
    The thing with the route map is it only details the exact course - which is great when you are on it but I would guess, like other strip mapped courses, if you inadvertantly wander of the route it can get very confusing and hard to identify where you are in relation to the route.

After Past demoralising experiances I have bought the Explorer OS map for the bulk of the course as back up. (Unfortunately it spans two maps)
  • Options
    i'll probably carry my landranger just in case... i feel i'm in danger as i can run alot of the route without looking at the map which means i won't know what page/step i'm on when i do need it!
  • Options
    That always happewns to me-you run with a group so long that once you need the map you don't know where you are!
    The first trail run I did I got lost and had to stop some cyclists who had a proper map rather than the one with the route on before I could work out where I'd gone wrong.
  • Options
    well the five day forecast has sunday 25 degrees and sunny....cross fingers.

I might well be wearing a pack ed - not sure yet, weather dependant, if that sun comes out like is says then I wont bother, if it looks variable on the day and I think I might need a running jacket at some point I'll take a pack to put a jacket, towell, hat change of top and an OS map in - also handy for storing water bottle on the straps rather than carrying it.

the start says between 9 - 10 but looking at the past results it looks like the runners all started at 9. Definately the earlier set off the better id say.
  • Options
    ok then.. propose a quick hello at 8:45ish?

jason will identify himself by squaking loudly like a chicken (with actions if necessary).. and we can all congregate around him.

sound ok?

i was considering a pack, i usually end up with one when doing unsupported runs over 20miles+... but since this will have water at the CPs (i hope) i'll be lookingto make do with my bumbag.
  • Options
    No way am I doing that chicken thing - I will look like a fool....

Instead I will wear a bra on my head and sing and clap along loudly to "Kumbuya my Lord"

"but since this will have water at the CPs (i hope)"

Im sure it will but you never know at these type of events.....get to the remotest checkpoint expecting water only to find an old woman with a couple thermos flasks full of tea and a plate of stale digestive biscuits.
  • Options
    i read the blurb and it does say food and drink at all checkpoints.... and if its a cup of tea.. i'll have one!

jason / rosas mum / tim
    not sure how far you all have to travel or what your plans on sunday evening are, but my wife is offering to do some food at our place in coventry afterwards.
    i just need to know who's coming!
  • Options
    As long as its not too late I'm sure I'll be allowed, that would be very kind of her Ed.
  • Options
    well i guess you'd have a couple of hours driving to do tim....

worst case finish time is what..? 10hrs which is 7pm which is still enough time to dash back, eat and be home by 10.

any quicker and there'll be plenty of time.
  • Options
    Ed Thats a very kind offer from you and your wife.

I will pass though, I have promised my other half Id take her out on Sunday night as bribary to get her to accompany me up there.

We have a loooong drive (4 hour odd from Plymouth) so are staying in a B&B Sat and Sunday night.
  • Options
    Good luck with A Coventry Way. I might do it next year but I think I'd be pushing my luck one week after 2 Bridges. I'm doing the Wolverhampton Half instead - a pitiful attempt to inject some pace.
  • Options
    Really wanted to do this one but I've only built up to 70min runs since being injured. Maybe next year.
    Good luck all.
  • Options
    Ed I am coming from brum on the bus so I think afterwards I will just be able to stagger back on the bus but thanks for the offer it is really nice of her.

Given the times every one has mentioned i am sure I will be last so you will all have long gone by the time I finish anyway! I am planing to start very slowly so I can keep up a fairly steady pace and would at 12 minute miles to go at 5 mph if my maths is right but I feel that may slip at the end

I will take the OS map but I think I will risk only having to one with the bulk of the route on. The other only has a very small part on.

• Options
    If it goes to plan you'll finish around the same time as me so you should be ok.
    I've missed something somewhere, what sort of time do you run marathons in?

• Options
    sub 4 (pb 3.52) for road marathons but I've only done 3- 1 have done a lot of off road running in events like these ranging from 25-33 miles. I have done 10 of these since April. Times range from 4.30-6 hours on average for 26 miles. I did a tough 26 mile event last Sat in 5.15 but that was very very hilly and very wet (up above my knees in places)
  • Options
    that sounds just like tim's cup of tea ;)
  • Options
    Er, it sounds like you're better prepared than me! I've not done a lot this year.
    2 road marathons, 3:50 and 4:19 and a couple of ultras, the last was 42 miles across the North York moors in just under 10 hours. Hilly, wet and boggy.
    Assuming you've recovered from Saturday I don't think you've got anything to be worried about.
    Just watch out for me at the start-club vest is green with red and white hoops as per the photo.
  • Options
    ah yes good plan.... jason, scrap the chicken noises.

you can't really miss tim.

i'm still debating whether to wear my cov tri spots or not.
  • Options
    you can't miss Ed either, he's all spotty you know.
    What was that about chicken noises?
  • Options
    27 degrees forecast for Sunday now....its going to be nice and hot.
  • Options
    frickin typical... i think about doing a race and the temperature shoots up.

*humph*
  • Options
    Did it not rain when you did Potts? I know it rained for me!