Options

ITB knee pain

Developed what I am pretty certain is ITB knee pain during my first marathon last weekend.

I'm beginning to feel twitchy about going out for a short jog - but should I wait until its completely pain free? I've never had this before (plenty of other aches and pains mind).

Presumably I should be stretching and icing??

Comments

• Options
    My guess would be it's just the after effects of hte marathon
    If that's the only bit htat's sore, well done!
    Go for a walk or very gentle jog then stretch.
    A massage will probably help - you've earned it.
  • Options
    Hi sore toes,
    Don't want to dishearten you but I also developed ITBS after my first marathon 3 months ago in Edinburgh - sadly I still have the pain and haven't been able to run more than 10mins since. Stretching and Icing are always a good idea, especially in the beginning - http://www.itbs.info/ is quite useful - but definitely go and see a good physio to make sure your diagnosis is correct. Different people seem to recover at different rates, so I hope you get back to running quicker than I have. Well done on your 1st marathon!

Best Wishes,
    Yano
  • Options
    I'm with yano - it's to be taken seriously. And it takes forever to heal (well, a long time) because the band has a very poor blood supply.

Even so, you might find that, after resting properly this week, you won't get any problems (if, say, your knackered-after-20-odd-miles gait is to blame). But if you do venture out, be prepared to stop straight away if you have pain. I recommend a treadmill for this if you have access to one.

I'm a believer in finding out what biomechanical problems (if any) caused it - it might be the case that a new pair of shoes from a reputable running shop (tell them the problem) is all you need. Or it may be that orthotic supports and/or muscle strengthening are needed. But the first step should probably be to see a sports physio.
  • Options
    Oh yes - congrats on your marathon!
  • Options
    Thanks all. I rested completely for a week and have since done a couple of half hour runs and it does seem to be getting better gradually. And doing lots of stretching and icing too.

I'm really puzzled though, because I've never had this pain before and it started only about 7 or 8 miles into the marathon. I had expected all sorts of other old niggles to flare up, but thankfully they didn't.

I had been advised to do some leg strengthening exercises for the inner quads on that leg and I just wonder whether this had either caused some wear or had just changed the biomechanics a bit.
  • Options
    Stretch Stretch Stretch. I have to say im with yano too. I got it earlier in the year and was out for 4 months. Completely out, no training or racing. Take it easy. If its definitely ITBS avoid running on cambered roads and sand. At least thats what ive been doing and I havent had a problem since.
    BTW Yano - i did edinburgh too, bit warm wasnt it? Oh and hilly.