Options

Calf stiffness

Hi all,

I've been running for about a year now and have completed 6 sprint triathlons which include a 5Km run, however I've decided to work on my running as its my weakest link in tri's and have entered my first 10Km race this weekend, as a result I've had to up my running distances not only per session but also the amount of sessions each week.
In the past fortnight I've been getting stiff calfs particulary during my cool down walk at the end of the run and also during any rest periods during the run (sometime with ankle pain), this normally goes after about 2 mins of running.
I always stretch for at least 10-15mins after the run. I've also just changed running shoes to see if that makes a difference and it hasn't during the three runs in them. I changed my shoes because I started to get shin pains which is my sign that the shoes have had their day, and this has gone.
Any advice on how to stop this stiffness and preparation for this weekends race is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    had the same problems i went to see sports injury lady who told me to self massarge and apply ice in a wet towel on and off in 10 min. intervals . also try laying on your back put left leg slowley up as straight and as far up as you can then do the same with right leg and slowly lower and repeat . when iceing dont leave on to long hope it helps