Options

Built like an Arabian stallion

Hi folks,

My deluded self-image is that, because of all the running I do, I am built like an Arabian stallion from the waist down, but unfortunately this also means I look a scene from Tenko from the waist up.

How many of you out there do much upper body work?

Does this help your running?

How do you fit it in with your running?

Love to take my top off during a run but fear it would stop the ladies throwing their bra's at me (another delusion).

Tried some gym work, but I just would much rather be running.

Any advice/tips to get some all-round training

cheers

Comments

• Options
    Hi KP

I haven't been to a gym for years, but (well, until I moved abroad this summer) had a very toned upper body/flat stocmach etc. all from hangin' around at my local indoor climbing wall. I used to go about three times a week and it's the best all-body work out you can get. And fun too!

Most large towns and cities have their own climbing wall - check out www.thebmc.co.uk for a listing.
  • Options
    oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    KP - there seems to be pretty universal agrrement that some weight training is vital to good running. A quick search in the RW training section should give some basic ideas.
    Personally I do weights once or twice a week for 40-50 mins/session, usually before a 40-45 min easy or steady run. I can't prove that it helps but I feel better for it.I can dot he Arab stallion bit as well - but from the neck up:-)
  • Options
    KP

I normally fit in 2 weights sessions per week in the form of circuit training (I include leg exercises in this) these circuit training session are done on the same day as my mid week runs – I also swim 2 to 3 times per week swimming is a great CV session that builds upper body strength and is good to do as active recovery the day after a run.

My normal week comprises of

Run x 3
    Bike x 3
    Swim x 2 or 3
    Circuits x 2

Will
  • Options
    KP - I was half asleep when I replied to your post.

If you are built like an Arab stallion, how on earth do you get running tights to fit you? :-)
  • Options
    I wear shorts and tuck it into one of my socks :-)
  • Options
    Show off!

My upper body is like that of a Kenyan distance runner and my lower...well, more of a sturdy workhorse.

I know I should to upper body work but going to the gym is a no no, as I'm just not motivated enough to squeeze in gym sessions as well.

Have a half-hearted routine of doing a few press-ups, dips and sit-ups a few times a week, that'll have to do.
  • Options
    LizzyB

Ever seen Linford Christie? Small chap runs quite fast.

thanks for comments and tips
    keep em coming

cheers
  • Options
    I agree with WildWill. Swimming is excellent for the upper body. I always try to schedule a swim for the day after my long run.

You have to push yourself, mind. Cos your body is basically weightless, you won't get much aerobic benefit if you just drift up and down the lanes.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have a well toned upper body from circuit training. Sometimes I do think my upper arms are a bit too muscular, especially when I have to wear a nice feminine dress, but we can't have everything!

KP, SOME PEOPLE DON'T HALF LIKE TO BRAG!
  • Options
    Hilly,

I'm afraid it is all in my mind.

Folks,

You know, my main problem is that when I do go down the gym I am itching to just RUN. I love running but find pushing weights up and down very, very boring - but I can run for 3 hours and wonder where the time has gone.

My swimming is chronic. Took some lessons to try and get the technique and breathing right so maybe try a tri-athlon, but didn't improve much.

I guess I need to persevere (it took a few months before I got hooked on running).

Any tips to make gym work less boring (and take my mind of my urge to get out of that gym and RUN) would be much appreciated.

Running = FREEDOM Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gym/Pool = feeling caged-in/boring
  • Options
    oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    KP - find a gym training partner (poss a non-runner). it makes a lot of difference if you can be both sociable & competetive
  • Options
    I hate the Gym too.

If you can find somewhere in your area that does "Body Pump" classes then try that. It's an exercise class with weights and music and it's a lot less dull than the gym. It's also designed around the high reps/low weights thing that you're supposed to be doing to tone up rather than bulk up.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Urrggh - Body Pump! Booked into a class at Center Parcs last year. Thought with all the running my muscles were well used to exercise, but the hour-long class crippled me for days! I could barely walk up a flight of stairs, and as for walking back down ...

Have to confess to doing no upper-body work since I discovered that my upper arms were a lot slimmer through not doing any! Also since we moved I can't remember where I put the weights - probably in the spare room under a pile of boxes (any excuse!)

I know I should do some upper body work, but I seem to bulk up quickly, even if I'm using really light weights. As I'm very petite it really doesn't suit me to have 'Arnie arms' so now I'm just running. It's even difficult to fit in all my runs sometimes, never mind trying to squeeze in weights sessions as well!
  • Options
    Well yes, the first time you do Body Pump you do have to be careful not to try to use the same heavy weights that you'd use in a gym. And of course the first time you do any weights programme DOMS is inevitable.
  • Options
    Yes, maybe a class and some company would help.

Also thining of maybe finding a fitness trail with pull-up bars etc that means at least I will be in the open air and can run from one thing to another.

Anyone tried this?
    (but I think I need to strengthen my arms a bit so they can deal with more than 2 pull-ups)

cheers
  • Options
    Hi, KP.

I wasn't over keen on going in the gym either - I would much rather be out running.
    The solution for me was to go in the gym at lunchtime on Tues and Thurs and
    then run with the club in the evening. That way, I wasn't too frustrated to be
    spending a lunch hour indoors, as I knew I'd be out for a run with the gang later
    on.
    I certainly think the upper body work in the gym has helped. I can maintain
    reasonable form for longer in races and my shoulders and abs don't ache
    the next day.

Babs

• Options
    thanks everyone

Will try out your tips:

I'll give you all credit when I win Mr. Universe.

cheers
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    KP, I used to go to the gym 3 times a week. I now go to circuits at the gym and find the workout much more specific to strengthening muscles used for running. Also, the upper body gets a very good workout. In the summer the circuit is done outside and includes lots of short sprints with an exercise such as press-ups at the end. It really is tough, but does give an overall body toning and fitness.
    The instructor is ex armed forces! I think that says it all.