Options

Running with a hernia

I am training for various running events leading eventually to next years London Marathon and i found out yesterday that i have a hernia, has anybody else had exeperience of this.

Should i run as normal or take it easy, at the moment i'm running 4 or 5 times a week and my max run to date is 8 miles at 7:50 pace.

Any advice welcome
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Take advice from your doctor, and provided there's no danger of strangulation then go for it.

I was training for the 2002 race, but managed to acquire a hernia (my third!) 5 weeks before the event, so had to defer as it was giving me a bit of pain. Thought it would all have been taken care of by the time of the next race, but what with the delay in getting to see the consultant, and the one-year waiting list, I still had it in April 2003. I had to run, hernia or no hernia, but fortunately it didn't cause me any problem.

If you can run 4 or 5 times a week without pain you should be OK. It's the timing of the operation that's the difficulty. I had my previous hernia operation 4 weeks before the 1997 marathon, and that just didn't give me time to recover! So if you're going private, get it done now, otherwise put up with it and wait until after the marathon.
  • Options
    I completed the 2002 LFM with a hernia. It dogged me through training, but i dicovered that support shorts (high lycra content - the type you might see footballers wear under their shorts) actually held the hernia in! This will depend on where exactly yours is - mine was an inguinal hernia, which is in the lower abdomen/groin area. The marathon was manageable - more discomfort than pain really.

That said, you have plenty of time to have the op and recover in time for the marathon next year. Be prepared for some weeks off training - it took me about 5 or 6 weeks before I could even think about putting my trainers on! OUCH!

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    I agree with Steven B. I had an inguinal hernia for more than 2 years and ran 4-5 days a week without any problems (30+mpw). Only slight worry was my right testicle (hernia area) rose into bowel after the run(sorry for graphic details!), however doc said this was common. I had this repaired through the "tension-free mesh" procedure (British Hernia Centre), and have had no subsequent problems. However, don't believe what they optimistically claim about being able to return to running within a couple of days! (...it took me a week to get back to running). Good luck and take care
  • Options
    I was very interested to have found & read the postings on this thread as I currently seem to have all the classic symptoms of a hernia.
    I will be seeing my doctor on Monday morning to have the condition properly diagnosed.
    I'm currently training for FLM '05 & the extra mileage doesn't seem to be aggravating my condition, lifting, coughing, sneezing etc. seem to affect it more than running, but I will follow whatever advice my doctor gives.

Does anyone know whether taking ibuprofen would be of any help for a hernia condition?

TTT.
  • Options
    Running while i had my hernia was not a problem, no pain or discomfort. I had the opertaion 15th October 2004 and was up and about walking the next day, very gingerly i might add, driving after a week and i took the surgeons advice and didn't exercise for 4 weeks (god that was hard).

I went back to the surgeon after the 4 weeks and he gave me the all clear, the next day i was running and haven't had any problems with it since. I'll be doing FLM05

DO NOT lift anything slighty heavy for the recommemded period, in my case 4 weeks as you will know about it the next day.

I doubt ibuprofen would be of any help apart from pain relief, there is no swelling to reduce.

Paul

• Options
    Paul,

Thanks for the sound advice, hopefully the news won't be too bad on Monday!

TTT.
  • Options
    I ran the marathon last year with a hernia. It never bothered my running but became more & more prominent over the 5 weeks marathon training that I had.

I went private for the operation (£1500, but was offered next day surgery) and was walking about short distances the same day. I was able to swim after the dressing was removed (8 days) and had a light 4 mile jog after 2 weeks. I participated in a supersprint triathlon after 18 days (not recommended!) and was back into a full running program after about 4 weeks. I feel the fittness I had gained over the last 2 months (pre and post marathon) was more or less lost, but since I have improved dramatically.
    Dave
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with inguinal hernia end of last year but deferred to February this year for op and in fact have deferred twice more since then due to work commitments. Luckily I have med ins so can do this. Have started back training this year after 6months break last year and it is abit achey now. Prob will leave it until after the GSR in October now.
  • Options

Are there any girls out there with a hernia?  I've just been diagnosed (can't quite believe it!).  I know the previous thread is really old and it all seems to be guys so any offers of info if different for girlies would be great.  I think mine is femoral as I don't have an inguinal canal.  Wearing the super tight shorts sounds like a good idea.  Am training for Virgin marathon 2010 and managed to complete the Barns Green half last week no probs.

• Options

I had a hernia operation in 2005 and up untill now, It hasent been to bad but ive noticed that its hurting me now. Not a terrible pain but more discomfort which is hindering me now, I no if i go to the doctors he will say stop running!

Has anyone got any advice its in my groin area. Is there any kind of support i can use?

It dosent seem to hurt to bad when running but seems to after weird

Wayne

• Options

i ran for 4 months with a hernia back in 2004 didnt give me any problems, was back training 6 weeks after the op. have now been diagnosed with another one on the oposite side which is giving me more pain, so will have to see how it goes.