Options

City Centre Training (Manchester)

I have recently moved to the very centre of Manchester and I'm finding it hard to find places to go running. Being held up at traffic lights every few strides is hopeless! Maybe it's since the clocks have changed too and running after work isn't so easy (I've found an okay canal side run, but wouldn't risk it in the dark). So my training has all but ground to a halt apart from gym visits, but I'm missing my 4-5 times a week 3-6 mile open road/canal side runs I had in Stockport. Anyone else have this problem and have found ways to overcome it? Or anyone in the same situation in the centre of Manchester? Anyone know of a running club running from anywhere in the centre (my gym had one but has stopped it)? All help, advice or abuse for just being a lazy git will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    There's a swish gym in the Printworks - they might have a running section ?

Or what about Sportscity - the velodrome and those facilities - bound to be a running club that use some of them ?
  • Options
    I know Manchester & Salford Unis have athletics clubs. Don't know where they train but I'm sure they'd let you know or even let you join in. The thought of young, fit students in lycra is surely an incentive!

Do you have a car? There's always Sale Harriers or Trafford Athletics club. You could even hop on the tram, both of these are relatively close to a tram station. Maybe just hopping on a tram to somewhere like Altrincham where you can run relatively safely and if running out of town without too many traffic problems too.

• Options
    We run from the Y club at Castlefield. Most nights there are groups going out. I do long runs on Sunday morning as am in training for Manchester Marathon. The YMCA Harriers run from the Y club on Mon and Thurs at about 6 ish