Options

Marathon de sables

Has anyone done this?
What's involved, distances, etc and how much? When?

Sounds amazing
Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner

Comments

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Aha, just spotted the thread bit further down....;O)
  • Options
    go for it daz

you'll love it

i cant wait until I hit the desert again
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    ooo Caspar - just the chap.
    I wanted to send Daz the link to your website, but the one I used was broked.
    :o(

(do you have ANY idea how fair he is? He'll burn to a cinder!)
    ;o)
  • Options
    You betta be quick last I saw there were 255 brits already entered, not sure of the total amount allowed but the French get 300 and there is only 700 total. I am in ;o)
  • Options
    i was planning to go back next year but clashes with a holiday i have booked so will have to wait now till 2006. the brits far outnumber the frenchies now with the largest contingent, first time i went there were just 50 brits and 400 entrants in total, bit like running the london marathon now but still great fun.
  • Options
    I think 250 odd is the full brit allownce - any entries for the 2005 MDS are now on a wait list/ cancellation basis according to the website.
  • Options
    yup, that would be about right, 1 FULL plane, its the biggest plane that can manage to land on the runway of ouzazate.
  • Options
    I think this year as it is the 20th anniversary, the french have been given 300 spots.

Jason, where does it say there is a wait list....
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    "bit like running the london marathon"

Which bit, YRR? Dodging round walkers at the start, pi$$ing rain, blokes standing outside pubs offering you a pint as you pass?

Teehee.
  • Options
    yup that sounds about right!
  • Options
    Daz
    Whilst the MdS is absolutely superb race, it is my opinion slightly over rated.
    It is a tad expensive, it is a tad difficult to enter because it is so popular, and it is a tad congested when you get there.
    I am a big fan of the race - but if you find it in anyway difficult to get an entry - do not be disheartened, there are loads of other races out there, that are equally if not more testing, often a lot cheaper, and often more friendly as a whole. I will qualify that last remark - the MdS usually comprises 700 runners and I found that I only really got to know my fellow tent mates (who were fantastic) during the course of the week and they are usually all British, so no real incentive to get to know other racers particularly from other nations. I did speak to many other people during the race but not to same extend that I have in other subsequent races around the world.

And Daz, from what I know of you, I really dont think you would find the race as difficult as its sub title suggests. It is a good introductory race into the world of ultra running, but it is very doable.

If you want some suggestions of other races - please ask - there is a load of experience on this forum and practically every race around is no doubt covered by someone. Also a good place to find what is on on offer is to look at www.4ar.info this site is a wonderful source of info.

Good luck if you decide to step off the precipice form the cosy tri world.... ;0)
  • Options
    Daz-my report and photos are at

this place
  • Options
    oh no, LFW has totally destroyed my dream of the race....what do I do now ;o(
  • Options
    Ian
    I am sorry - not my intention - but I reckon you are picking up on only the slightly negative bits - IT IS A SUPERB RACE - GET OUT THERE - DO IT - AND ENJOY IT (PARTICULARLY THE BLISTERS)

Have Fun

;0))

ps - If you only ever do one extreme race -it has to be MdS........ and if do loads of extreme races, then MdS has to be one of them. Bit like the London Marathon Syndrome.
  • Options
    have to agree LFW, the mds was the first of the ultra extreme runs, it deserves its place as one of the top runs, even after all the others have jumped on board and try to dis it, like any other race you can make as hard or as easy as you want, anybody doing the mds will not be disapointed.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    good report caspar, ill read it all properly later.

cheers for info guys. can yuo just quickly tell me:

- cost of entry, flight, accom? is there a package deal?
    - date event starts
    - when will entries for 2006 be open and what sort of a window will i have to get a guaranteed place?

cheers
  • Options
    You find all the answers here

but if you dont want to look...
    It will cost you about £2150 - 2005 is booked up and they are now taking entries for 2006 (You can go on a waiting list for 2005 if you like). There is no choice but to go for the package - which means a hefty bonus for Best of Morocco..... if you have a french address I suggest you enter through the french agent as it costs considerably less. -BUT you need a french address.
  • Options
    Additionally - the event usually fills up as far as British entrants are concerned about 10 months in advance (but a lot get in after on waiting list) and the 2006 date hasnt been confirmed yet - but is usually early in April.

For not a lot more money you could buy a Trek Equinox 11 - drool - but not have that wonderful memory of all that suffering and pain.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    ok thats made my mind up.....too darn expensive for me. a real shame. thanks for info LFW!
  • Options
    do you work for a big company?

Get them to stump up the cash.
  • Options
    Darn - I have a French Address, I didn't know it was cheaper that way.

Thanks for the encouragement LFW, this will be personally the toughest run I will have ever done, actually my first ultra, stage, desert, hot run ever.

This is my first time entering on my tod as well without the missus, so I won't be forking out this much cash in a hurry.

;o)
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    no jason i work for gov. be lucky to get a pound off em! <looks over shoulder>
  • Options
    yeh def forget that idea then - no chance if you work in the public sector!

its definately an expensive race - half the entry seem to have double barrelled names ;-)
  • Options
    What's wrong with that, you there the funny faced chappie in the shadows at the back.

Mr Iron-Godzilla
  • Options
    Make what you want of the comment...

its just an observation that alot of the entry are Solicitors, Company directors, Accountants etc

...those who can generally afford a 1 week 1 person £2.5K jolly.
  • Options
    How would you spend on an IM event or a marathon abroad. I agree it is expensive as the company doing it has a monoploy on the race but you work out how much you would spend do any other race (not in the UK). An IM is 400 entry, then flights, accomodation, car etc etc, woudl soon add up to a couple of grand.
    This is a one off for me and it is skinting me out - but then my family are not going on their hols this year for my enjoyment.
  • Options
    this is one of the big bug bears that people bring up every year about the cost of runs and how much organisers skim off or make on the event, first of all practically all races are a business and are there to make money in one way or another, even your local club runs actually make a profit on their small 10k races. people come up with facts and figures proclaiming how much an event like the mds would take to put on and how they would do it cheaper, but in reality they are way out and i doubt the profits are any where near the figures people think, i say good luck to anyone who can organise an event and make a penny or two from it, i doubt if anyone would organise an event if they didn't see a return.