Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    How was the honeymoon ATMF? I'm sure you'll get back into training quickly.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Dave, How does it feel to be Married. I hope you both had a wonderful day and honeymoon. Where did you go? I am sure that you will very quickly get back into your running, and you may have benefited from the rest from the usual intensity. I would like to wish you both every happiness and love for years and years to come.
  • Options
    Jojo - It was amazing! Reykjavik was an amazing city - a really cool blend of North America and Europe. And the mountains and volcanoes were really cool too.

They have a great culture around swimming - in the city there were lots of outdoor pools with really warm water (heated by the hot rocks under the city) and it was so relaxing to go and sit in the warm water and do nothing! We also had an evening trip to the Blue Lagoon which is a natural(ish) pool out of the city which takes water directly from the hot springs. This means that the water still has all the minerals in it, and so is a milky colour. Apparently the silt is very theraputic, but we spent two hours in the (very) warm water - it was gorgeous.

We didn't get to go out of the city (other than a trip to the Blue Lagoon) so I really want to go back and see some of the countryside and maybe do some walking in the mountains - I think I've got the bug!
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hello Dave, Reykjavik sounds like a wonderful place for a honeymoon! Iceland is somewhere I've always wanted to go. Maybe we will get around to it this year.

All that relaxation in warm water will have done wonders for your running, I'm sure.

I wish you both a long and very happy marriage. XX
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Crikey dave, you sorted all that out and got it done and dusted very swiftly! I didn't realise that is why you were away! That is how I would like to do it if I ever did. No long drawn out months of planning and pondering for me. Not at this rate anyway....!!!

Congratulations, sounds like you had a wonderful time and are set for a wonderful happy life together. Great stuff.

Me - just taken the day off because I had a load of washing up to greet me after work and hate coming back from a run with washin gup piled high so just got on with it, had tea, and am looking forward to an extension of pancake day later this evening (because yesterday's were so lovely!).
    Fair play though, I have run every day since Friday. Need to remind myself of things like this occasionally!

A girl at work ran her first 5k at the weekend. She did it in just over 30 minutes and is chuffed to bits! I saw her a few weeks ago and she said things were going ok and I said "So will you be doing the Great Welsh 5 mile at the start of May?" and I got a "there's a bit of a difference between 5k and 5 mile!" back then. Now she can't wait!!! I love it when a plan comes together.........!!!

Pammie - how is the rower treating you? And how are you finding the longer runs in the week? The 8 mile route I did on Saturday would be great if I could fit it in regularly. I was hoping the club might be my way of getting in a slightly longer run in the week but that option is variable and I would have to be up at the front with the faster ones generally. Most of the time club runs are 5-6 miles tops at the moment.

Some news that might help me get these longer runs in.... Gareth's office is moving to the other side of town so i probably won't be giving him a lift into work any more because it isn't going to be as convenient. once he passes his driving test he will probably give me a lift into work if I want it, but right now I am just thinking of the huge flexibility it will give me in getting to work.... I can get up a bit later, do a run, and just get the 9am bus in! I am hoping it will encourage me to bike in a bit more too. Ooo, it will be an exciting few weeks! ! (I say few because his test is 4th April and by all accounts he will breeze it!).

But even more exciting than that is my trip to France very soon indeed!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dave.

Iceland sounds great, always reminds me of LizzyB's posts.

Jen - good news there hope it all goes well.

Training has been going well.
    monday i didn't run just 7½ minutes on the rower. But i'm hoping if i can do this a few times a week, build up the length of time on it i'll get stronger.

Tuesday i did 8.32 miles with 10 lots of strides felt a good workout

Today, just 4.17 miles easy running, followed by just over 6 minutes on the rower.

Will run tomorrow don't know how far yet but probably beteen 5-8 miles.

Managed to find someone who'll do my shift for me come October. I had hoped that i would fly out on the Friday before the marathon save travelling on Saturday which i imagine will be quite busy. But they couldn't give me the time of work, but a friend from work said she'll do it for me. I won't get paid, but that doesn't matter.

Oh Jen france is getting exciting.

Hopefully i'll be doing a 5 miler this Sunday so see how i'm doing. Hopefully there won't be any disruptions getting there.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Race report. Nothing stunning to report. But pleased to be back racing.

We arrived at race carpark in about 20 mins from home so that was good. The venue was Dunsford Park, which is what Top Gear use for their programme. Also it is where they used to test Jumbo Jets, there was still one sitting in the airfield. The airfield is surrounded by countryside, it is very flat and open in that area, hence the wind was whipping across.

It was very cold when we arrived and everybody had their hoods pulled up and faces grimacing against the cold.

We had a 20 min warm up, down the centre of the airfield. We warmed up with the girl in the car next to ours, she is an army nurse and has recently spend 6 month in Iraq so she was very interesting to chat to.

We lined up and then the off!!!
    Once off the airfield we followed a wide road around the airfield and immediately we were running into the wind. The running into the wind seemed to coincide with the gradual drags which made life hard. It was basically flat but there definitely gradients. UP gradients were all run into the wind!!! Sods law that.

Anyway, I just ran my own race, not knowing what to expect of myself, I had thought previously that if I could run 8 min miles I would be satisfied. I didn't but I wasn't too far off.

Splits:-
    4.53 into the wind
    5.01 still into the wind
    4.56 average for 3rd and 4th Kilometer
    5.07 5k split---24.54
    5.11 average for 6th and 7th K
    5.07 into the wind and it was hard
    5.13 into the wind and it was still hard!!!

Final time around 50:40

There was a section of the course where music from Chariots of Fire was being played, I loved that, I shut my eyes and relaxed my body to the music!

I found it hard, but the first kilometer was as hard as all the others except the last 2 which were harder.

I have a lot of hard work to do to get back to 47 mins for 10k. But it is the first 10k I have run as a 65 year old. Ran everything else from 100m's --Marathon. But due to the injury this one escaped me.

Achilles, didn't give it a thought whilst running. I have the odd stinging twinge now, but nothing new.

I think racing must take a while to get back into.

I won a prize, it was a large pack of SIS different mixtures and potions, and there were a few similar products in our Goody bags so I am sure they will all come in very useful.

A very well run event, but then Mike Gratton's events usually are. I had a quick chat with him and I made sure that I got a kiss when I got my prize. No-one else was seemed to bother, just a shake of the hand.

• Options
    Well done Ceal! That's a very good return to racing. My aim for this year is to run a sub 50 min. 10k and a sub 2 hr half marathon.

My training is going ok. First decent week of training since the flu. I've only done 14 miles, but I'm pretty happy with that seeing as I have felt so grotty. Hoping this week I'll manage 20 miles so we'll see.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I know it has been a while since I emailed this forum but have been so busy working and looking after my son. Anyway, hope you guys are all okay. Just wondered if anyone is doing the Silverstone Half on the 19th?

karlb
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi karl, no, but wondering how your family are? Did you do Woburn this year I didn't in the end due to injury but I am ok now.
  • Options
    Hi ceal,
    Nah I aimed to do the Tamworth 10K but I had to miss it due to a cold. I also missed my January race due to a bad back. So my first race of the year will be the Silverstone Half. Did a 14 miler yesterday which went well, so (fingers crossed) I am hoping to be fit and well for the big day.
  • Options
    To all,
    Okay I know this may be a bit cheeky but I am raising money for the Stroke Association during the Silverston Half Marathon on Sunday 19th March (it is also two days off my birthday). If you want to sponspor me, I have set up a "justgiving" website on:

http://www.justgiving.com/karlbridges
  • Options
    Hi all

ceal - great to hear you are back in the racing game again and a good comeback too

Pammie - good training and good luck for France for you and jen
    jo jo - great mileage after your flu

Karlb - welcome back - looking after a baby is certainly time consuming - hope Silverstone goes well

As for me, marathon traing is going very well and I am starting to feel slightly more optimiatic about at least getting around the course even if my original plan of under 4 hours is a bit ambitious. Only managed 3 runs last week but they included a speed session , a steady 10 miler and then my long run of 18 miles yesterday which I manged in under 3 hours and felt absoulutely fine afterwards. I have a half marathon coming up this weekend and I am aiming for under 1.50 so looking forward to a bit of racing for a change

Good running everyone
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Ooo crikey! What a lot of action!!!
    Well done ceal! Great sounding race - I am sure you would be much closer to 47 mins if the elements weren't against you, though as you say, sods law and they will never be routing for you or any of us!

KarlB!!! Great to hear from you! My friends brother is running Silverstone, but I'm not. I am racing a 5 miler the day before in Rhayader

And Carol too!!!! 18 milers!!! 3 quality sessions there, I am very jelous! How is the fueling going now?

I have today formally committed myself to a strict regime that I had a couple of years ago. Upping the protein, limiting chocolate and cheese in the strictest possible way, and think I might cut back on milk too (not just from the cappucino's!) to see if I can shift these 6kg's that aren't welcome around my tummy! I also need to make sure I am swimming and doing a circuits session once a week, and maintaining 30 miles a week. I need my fitness and lean-ness back! I am convinced that I will be more likley to achieve the speeds from last summer just by shedding the weight. Is that an ignorant approach?

Looking forward to the weekend now. Not sure what I will do this week running wise because I am not expecting great things from this race - sub 2 would be nice, but I haven't really covered the distance enough in training to be confident of that. I did the 10 miler the other week comfortably at sub 9min miles though so if I aim for 9 min miles this weekend that should see me through to sub-2... we will see!
    I think I am running for the event and I guess I also had to get my training up to standard before seriously deciding to do this, which I think I have done. Though I think this is the least prepared I have been for a half actually and am a bit worried that I am taking myself for granted.... erk!

Happy training for the week guys....
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.

Karl - glad to hear you are still managing to run with your new family commitments. Good luck with the half.

Jojo - you'll be back to full fitness before you know it. Your goals for this year are the same as mine for 2007...

Carol - you're racing too this weekend! I'm sure you'll do well as your three runs sound like quality sessions. When is your marathon?

Ceal - you are an inspiration to us all!

Jen* - I'll join you in trying to cut down on the cheese! I'm getting nervous about this weekend. Just did 10k on Sunday, very slow as we had a lot of snow and ice and I was looking at my feet the whole way. Today I plan a slow jog and tomorrow a tempo run to try and remind my legs what half pace feels like. The snow is melting now and weather forecast is for more seasonal temps by Sunday. Here's hoping...
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    I am sure you ae right about the weight and running faster when there is not so much of it. I could do with doing the same myself, but like you, one has to wait for that moment when it hits you and then one is motivated to do something about it. I hope both you and Escargot have a very enjoyable and fast race.

Jojo
    pleased to hear that you are feeling more like yourself again. You will soon be back to training normally again.

Carol
    sounds like your training is going very well, the best of luck with your half this weekend too. Look forward to hearing all about it.
  • Options
    Just a quick question. Bearing in mind that my race is not until 19th I am not too sure what mileage to do for the run up. Last Sunday I did 14, Monday 3.5 and Wednesday 5. Any ideas what I should do this Sunday and next week?
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi Karl, most peeps would say you don't need to do a long run this weekend. I would do seven miles at most. Slow recovery run the day after, some speedwork Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest and then either rest or some very gentle jogs until the race.

Jen* should be in France by now and we'll probably be in touch tonight to finalise arrangements for our half tomorrow.

I'm resting and icing my ankle which is still a bit swollen. I'm pretty sure I can run on it, though it may not be up for a pb!!

Have a good weekend, everyone.
  • Options
    karlb - I guess that's really up to you! Personally, I wouldn't do anything too long or too fast but I would say that, wouldn't I?!
    On the other hand, I know that some people like to do fartlek or other types of faster running in the last week. It's up to you really because you know your body better than any of us know it.

Sorry to be so unhelpful!

Dave
  • Options
    Cheers guys for your advice (that includes ATMF as well)
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Cold and bright in Montargis this morning. The ice was just melting on the puddles as Jen* and I set off for our half on tarmac roads through the forest, while our official photographers went off in search of coffee.
    I had not expected to run with Jen at all but her starting pace seemed comfortable so I thought I'd tag along as far as I could. We chatted through most of the first 10k, passing 5k in about 29 mins and 10k in 58 mins, and the kms went quickly. That was more or less the same pace as last year's event for me - the question was, how much longer could I keep it up?
    The 15k mark went by in about 1:27, so still fairly consistent overall. I'd gone a bit quiet by this stage as I was starting to struggle, whereas Jen seemed to be just coming up to cruising speed! At 18k she was itching to pass some peeps not far ahead so she peeled away and ran a cracking pace for the final 3.1k which I'll leave her to tell you about when she gets back...
    I was still feeling OK, not hurting anywhere (well, all over a bit, but not anywhere in particular) and was pleased to reach 20k in 1:56 something. Then it was onto the track for the finish and I think I even managed to speed up a bit as Jen encouraged me through the final few metres.
    Official result: 2:3:30 -- a pb and eight minutes faster than last year. I am very, very pleased but I don't think I could have done it without my "pacer", so thank you again Jen!
    We all then had a most pleasant restaurant lunch, where I am pleased to report Jen did full justice to the local cheeses!
  • Options
    Escargot - well done - great reace report and look forward to hearing from Jen

Nothing to report from me I am afraid - developed a horrible cold during the middle of last week therefore I haven't run since last Sunday and missed my half marathon this weekend - (mind you, swirling sonow, gale force winds and sub zero temperatues didn't help the motivation factor.) I have now missed a whole week of marathon training so hoping to get back on track tomorrow for the next 3 weeks which are the hardest in mileage terms , then tapering from there on - funny but I thought things were running too smoothly!!!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    HIIIII!!!!!!

I made it! There AND back! Only a couple of peices missing (diary and shower stuff - not life threatening peices!).

WONDERFUL to meet Escargot, bug thank you to her and her lovely husband for being so welcoming and helpful and generally all round lovely people! Couldn't (and obviously wouldn't!) have done it without you, so THANK YOU!!!!

Quick race report (though you know what I'm like.....!)

Hadn't really had the race prep I had hoped for due to exciting (?!) trip to Montargis and various stops we had along the way. So only had very limited hydration in me, completely inappropriately fuelled (only managed a pizza on Saturday!) though Ibis did provide muesli so wasn't all bad! It was very very cold, but I knew that wouldn't be an issue But when warming up I felt really low on energy and like I wouldn't be up to much in the race.

Indeed, when we started (right at the back!) I said to Escargot not to stay with me if she felt I was holding her back. However, the first 10k were fairly relaxed and conversation was very pleasant and helped tick the km's off. I had garmin there to give us mile splits (will add them later) though they weren't the most consistent, we both felt like we were working consitently!

Second half, the serious half! I think we both thought this given the limited chat. The mental countdown to the last 3 miles was hanging over me and though I felt I had taken it easy enough to cope, I was still worried I just wasn't prepared enough to keep pace up for the full 13! Kept checking Escargot was ok as we were going really well. I didn't dare jinx anything by suggesting quite how many minutes would be knocked off her PB at the pace we were doing (albeit, with higgledy piggeldy splits!).
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    At around 11 miles, I noticed, on glancing behind when crossing the side of the road, there were lots of runners behind, not too far away. I warned Escargot that we would soon be people’s prey and when one of the club runners from Escargot’s potential club over took us, competitive spirit kicked in. I told Escargot to make sure she beat her, and I picked up the pace to put the first chink in that club runners confidence (I know, it is mean, but I can't help it!). I soon realised I wasn't quite where I thought I was on the course and had a bit further than I thought to go, but saw another club runner ahead to target. She was really struggling, and was saying some stuff in French and I felt bad that I couldn't understand, so I tried some encouraging "allez!"'s and went on my way.

Lots of friendly supporters and marshall's "allez"ing me on as I approached the stadium and I then realised that the "Reste 0,500" sign meant 500m to go (on the first lap I decided it must mean 500 entry limit on the race - funny how your mind works in different situations!).

Saw a big metal railing with an arrow marked out on it with red and white marker tape ribbon stuff, which made me smile - very effective! Saw on the clock just about to reach 2 hours, but I wasn’t there for the time – I was in no fit state for a PB and was just enjoying the race so actually very pleased to be so close to 2 hours!

Entered the stadium and could see the bloke who had been just ahead of us coming to the finish. Damn - wasn't going to catch him! And then felt really lonely and pathetic because I was the only one on the track then!!! Very very fast feild! So tried to think of it as a moment of glory on a track, tried to keep up a fast finish because it would have been too easy to slow down and as I got to the line I heard them announce my number and name and some very exciting "international!!" comments!!!! Turns out the organisers were quite pleased to have someone from overseas there! And some bloke who's wife was Irish came over to talk to me just because I was from Wales!

Gareth pointed out Escargot entering the stadium with a few too many people ahead of her for my liking so I rushed over to keep her going and make this a really hard PB to crack! I knew she was on for a great time and she knew it too, so I am pleased if my encouragement did make her go that bit faster at the end!

My official time was 2:00:55 but that wasn’t why I was there. I was chuffed to bits for Escargot – EIGHT MINUTES!!! And happy that she thinks I helped her achieve it, but I wasn’t the one who put in all the great training she had been doing, it is thoroughly her own fantastic achievement. I just loved the race, the atmosphere and everything about it. Lunch was gorgeous and a little toddle around Montargis left me feeling like I wanted to come back next year, but with a less busy agenda, so I could appreciate the town! I am hoping my club might consider it for an overseas trip……
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Splits for anyone interested....

9:47
    9:09
    8:43
    9:22
    9:14
    9:51
    9:03
    8:54
    10:03
    9:03
    9:13
    9:24
    7:36
    1:22 (ish - I didn't stop my watch!)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Escargot good race report and i am chuffed for you too a stonking brand new shiny pb.
    You should be proud of yourself.

And Jen fab stuff from you again.
    You certainly are getting back out there again.

Well done the pair of you.

Carol get well soon
  • Options
    Escargot Very, very well done! Eight minutes is a massive amount to take off a half marathon PB (over 35 seconds per mile!): I'm so chuffed for you 8oD

Jen I'm really glad you enjoyed your race and that your competative spirit is alive and well!

Reading your reports makes me want to try and organise a meeting (again!). What do you guys think? I guess we'll have all the same problems of location as we have discussed before, but should we try anyway?

Dave
    8o)
  • Options
    Well done Jen and Escargot!!

I managed 20 miles last week with no ill effects, so I'm getting there again ... slowly!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Yay jojo! You'll be clocking those miles up no probs from now on I am sure. Do I remember rightly that you doing Forest of Dean this weekend? Still up for it?

Dave - How about Cardiff in October? I wonder if Pammie is thinking seriously about it as pre-Dublin.... and there is the full available for anyone who fancies it too, as part of the same race. Just a very selfish suggestion since everywhere else seemed too difficult for a lot of people the last few times we have raised this........

Carol, sorry to hear you aren't good at the moment. Just a teeny blip though - perhaps just your body starting to notice what you are putting it through and trying to object a little and get itself some rest! You have great training behind you so far though so I hope this doesn't get you too concerned.

Pammie - what was your decision about Cardiff anyway......??
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi Jen

Cardiff - 90% chance i'll be doing it, though won't be "racing" it
    I best get crackin' and enter anyway.