Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Increasing mileage is what I am hoping to do over the coming months to help me on my way to a good Feb 10k (though not sure if it is the right route for it - Adidas Woburn Abbey 10k - apparently very windy last year...?). I have a 10k in Dec that I want to do well in too with my current 10k time at 52:30. I would like Dec to give me 50 minutes and Feb to give me a bit less....;)

And my main change in training will just be increasing mileage. And this will also go towards my next half training - though the reason I am focussing on 10k at the mo is to try and gain some speed to take up to half marathon distances.

I can certainly see improvement in myself though since I started running. And I think my first 10k race (Sept) gave me a real boost to the training because I didn't think I could go that fast! In training 10k was taking me 1:05 - granted on hilly ground but it didn't fill me with confidence. The confidence boost of the race has made me want to push myself a bit more in training and now I run a 10k circuit in little more than 58 mins in training!
  • Options
    Hi

I too want to increase my mileage.
    I have done 40 mpw earlier this year, back up to 30-35 mpw, and maybe increase to 50 mpw.

I have noticed on races raced earlier in the year that the good race (5k-5mile) times have occured when my long run has been 10+ miles

Also training runs getting to sub 10minute miles with the same effort, as when i started it was 11:30-12:00 min miles
    (16 months)

For the 10k 60:10 down to 51:40 in 13 months.
    Also off road running helps as well making me stronger, i have found a day or 2 doing the off road stuff, then if i run on the roads my legs go faster (well faster than normal)

Racing on Sunday 10k so we'll see

• Options
    WhichWayNow - depends where you are, but Wilmslow in March is a PB course (Cheshire area).

Sodahead - I'm interested to see that your peak mileage weeks are in the month or so before the race. I've tended to follow a plan of building mileage early then maintaining or even dropping it closer to the race as I get the harder sessions in. Any chance you could give us a rough breakdown of the kind of mileage you'll be running (ie easy, tempo, intervals etc)?
  • Options
    We were discussing raising milage at our club last night. One chap recalled one of his colleagues simply increased an easy run by 1 mile per week. He did not increase the same run every week by one mile but over say 10 weeks he was able to raise his milage from 30 to 40. If you are a 10 minute miler you (or your family) will hardly notice the additional time spent doing an extra mile.

Aardvark: This weeks schedule (50 mile target milage)

Mon: 8 miles @ 70%MHR (max heart rate) - easy day
    Tue: long interval session @ 85%MHR - hard day, about 9 miles of running.
    Wed: 7 miles @ 70%MHR with hills - easy day
    Thr: 6 miles @ 70%MHR plus circuit training - hard day
    Fri: 6 miles @ 70%MHR - easy day
    Sat: 8 miles @ 70%MHR - easy day
    Sun: XC race, 5 miles at 85%MHR with a long warm up - hard day

Week commencing 27th December (4 weeks before race)

Mon: 6.5m am + 6.5m pm @ 75%MHR
    Tue: 6.5m am + 8m inc interval session pm
    Wed: 6.5m am + 6.5m pm @ 75%MHR
    Thr: 10m am @75%MHR, circuits pm
    Fri: 8m @ 75%MHR
    Sat: 18m @ 65%MHR
    Sun: 4m am and short interval session 3m pm.

This will be my highest milage week. After this (with my aerobic base hopefully built) I will decrease my milage but increase my speed and strength work.

Schedule is flexible. There is only one rest day planned between now and the race.
  • Options
    Aardvark:

Send me an Email and I will reply with the entire schedule attached.
  • Options
    JennyD - if I can work out a way to go faster on my present mileage I'll be very happy!!
  • Options
    Sodahead - you have mail.

This looks like the same kind of approach that I took last winter: building the aerobic mileage while keeping some element of faster work at less than eyeballs-out pace. The main mistake I think I made was to reintroduce the speedwork too early - I peaked before race day instead of on it. It looks like you've avoided this.
  • Options
    Aardvark, schedule is in the post.

I will know if things are right as my last race before the 1/2m I should be feeling and racing well. I will use my fellow club runners as a gauge in this.

Only time will tell.
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Hope you're all well :0)

I was just wondering how far I should take my long run up to in the course of training for a half.

I am currently doing 10-11 miles for my long one. How much further should I up the distance?

My half is in March.

Any advice welcomed :0)

• Options
    Ideally I would say go up to about 14-15m, ie above race distance. The long run trains your body to burn its fuel efficiently, so you don't hit the wall before the end of the race. As you've still got plenty of time, aim to hit this distance several times in your build-up: maybe go beyond race distance every other week in the new year.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I am currently at 12.5 and hoping to get to 14-15 by March increasing the distance by half to a mile every three or four weeks.
  • Options
    Hi Sam, I fell short of race distance in my first half mara training and subsequently pooped at 10 miles, willpower keeping me going for the remaining 3, so I'm following the advice in this thread & taking my long run up to the 14-15m mark before embarking on my next half. :-)
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Thanx you guys, will take that advice and build up to 15.

Had a rest today and will have my long run tomorrow :0)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Just done my long run that was about half a mile longer than expected - did about 13 miles. I thought I was doing last weeks run just in the opposite direction but I think I must have added bits in without thinking.

Interestingly (ish - depends on your frame of mind!) last week I had a hill at the start and this time it was in the middle (think this may have been where the extra distance came in making sure I didn't have to do the hill at the end of the run!).

Last week I felt fine but felt like the run was dragging a bit. This time, I guess becuase I had the hill to think about, I generally felt more positive and the second half felt much stronger than the second half of last week.

I would be interested to know what kind of hills people run up as part of their routes though as there is only one really big one for me with lots of much shorter bursts of hill or much longer less steep slopes.
    The main one I have to contend with is 500m long and it takes me 5 minutes. Coming down it takes 3 minutes to go 600m!! I am not sure how else to describe hills - anyone got innovative ways to describe their hills?!?!?
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Well done on the run Jen. It's good when it turns out to be longer than you thought - a nice surprise!! I did 11.8 miles, my longest yet so I'm pleased.

As for hills - I've got lots of ways to describe the hills on my runs but most of them would get the thread cazzed!!

No, seriously. I have a variety. One is very shallow but is 1.5 miles long. Another is very steep but very short - 200-300 yards. The others are somewhere between the two.
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Does anyone here use an energy drink on longer runs?

I just use water at the mo but read somewhere that when you go above 10 miles you should use an energy drink.

I'd be interested to find out what you all use on long runs.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I used to use energy drinks but they just don't agree with me. I can only really take them after training. That said I have only used Lucozade and don't know if any of the other isotonic drinks would be ok.

I used jelly babies on long runs. At three miles I have a couple and then gobble one every mile after that. But I have been finding them a bit sickly recently so am thinking of switching to gels and perhaps using one or two on a long run. However, they are so expensive I am tempted just to keep on with the jelly babies!

I am finding that I need water more these days too. I try not to drink too much when on a run because of toilet and stitch reasons but think I might have to dust off the old camelback I was given a few months ago and just haven't really tried before now.
  • Options
    Interesting thread have enjoyed reading it but got dragged to shops by no.2 son to spend his birthday money so read it in two goes, so some answers I am offering may already have been given but so what.

Speedwork I would wait until you have a good 12 months steady running before adding regular speedwork,maybe try Fartlek first.

HILLS ARE GREAT
    Build them into your long runs then they are not a problem during races.
    when doing hillwork try to hold a good pace if possible.When I started i found I just got slower and slower so started blasting up the hill so it took longer to slow to walking pace.Sometimes had to do two blasts during hill.
    When running up hills in races shorten stride and keep cadence/turnover the same to get to top without over tiring yourself.
    Favourite hill session at club is a short circuit about 1 1/4 miles.
    1/4m downhill recovery jog
    1/4m v.gentle downhill speed section
    1m recovery jog
    1/4m hill push really hard.
    3 or 4 laps more if you want.Great Fun.

JennyD do a half they are fun I only run about 25mpw nobody else on this thread believes in rest days,at least 1 a week.
    I usually have 3.

training log info.....time,distance,type of run,heart rate,weather, time of day,where you went,how you felt before/during/after, any niggles or pain,even what you have eaten and how long before run.The purpose of logs is to help you and find what works and what doesn`t for you so you can check back later.you do not have to record all those things all the timebut if you just record time and distance it may not be very helpful next year when you check back to see how you got that Pb.
  • Options
    I have seen several references to FARTLEK, what does it mean? where did the name come from?
    By the way thanks to every body for thier help earlier in this thread. I did my long run today 4.8 miles (my longest yet)having taken on board all your suggestions. You experienced guys give us rookies a lot of support keep it up and thanks again
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Steaders-I believe it's a Swedish word for 'speed play'. You just go out there and run fast/slow with no really distance for each spurt of speed in mind. Kids do this all the time!
  • Options
    Did my long run on Saturday, then got back to find the electricity off and so no hot shower for me afterwards - booo!
  • Options
    Take it you had a much-vaunted cold bath then Kinsey. :-)))))
  • Options
    Sam - for this distance, it's better to train yourself not to need energy drinks. Your body can store enough glycogen for about 20m - it just needs to learn how to use it efficiently.
  • Options
    Even better than that Erratic - I'd only gone out running early because I had an appointment at 9.30am, and they rang to cancel after I'd had my cold shower as they didn't have any electricity either. Not my morning!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    On the back of a very exciting 41 miles week I have planned out my running to try and keep this up with lower mileage weeks to make sure I don't konk out.

I just wondered how people judge that they need to rest...? I feel hugely motivated to keep going on my current plan, but recognise that the last couple of weeks have been pretty tough on my body. My body feels fine though, but in myself I am absolutely shattered - needing actual sleep as opposed to relaxing muscles/not working out type rest.

Actually, my body isn't fine at all. Every couple of days I notice a tightness somewhere that needs a stretch. Hmm... good job I started this post I have answered my own question I think.

Off to rest now methinks.....!
    But how do you cope with these enforced rests? Anyone? I was going to run at lunch today but forgot my traininers (a sign perhaps?!) so I am going tomorrow lunch but think I will miss the 6 miles early run I was going to do and no speed training tomorrow night because I am getting a massage.

I will kep Weds as a rest day and then might venture out for an early 6 miles on Thursday, with a x-training session in the evening. Pilates on Friday and a nice long run on saturday. So still 26 miles. Oh! And hopefully still doing a little recovery run on Sunday too. Might make 30 which is still a good week actually! Just seems like a lot of rest compared to recently!

Sorry, waffling to myself........
  • Options
    Jen* I know I'm asking a silly question but what are "Pilates" on Friday
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Pilates is/are (?) posture-y stregthening exercises - kind of like yoga, but not at all like it in my view! Things like moving your arms and legs around but keeping your hips and shoulders steady. Hips forward, shoulders down, lots of strengthening. Very small movements and lots of concentration.... not really sure how to describe it really!

I do it as part of a class.

Had my first massage today too. PAINFUL!!! I have knots all in my shoulders and have to have a second session to get rid of them. Oooo, it hurts, but I am assured that I will be a changed woman when my knots are gone!
  • Options
    Sounds painful, what other exercises do you do. At the moment I only run weekdays and Saturdays and play golf on Sundays. I see a lot about cross training how important is it to exercise other that running
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Both pilates and massage was painful Steaders - not sure which yo are referring to but I can assure you I have grimaces on my face during both!

I am a bit rubbish with my other exercises as I either run or am in the gym. I would like to do more swimming that is supposed to be great to support running and something for 'rest' days but it just isn't convenient to get to a pool. The X training I do is just rowing and some weights and circuits style exercises. Someone said some where x training is basically doing upper body stuff too.

I don't really know about how important other exercise is rather than running. I think it is as important as you make it. I have reasons for every session I do. I do leg exercises and strengthening to work my muscles and help avoid injury, I do X training because I want to be more than just fit to run, I want a bit of arm definition and toning too! I do my speed session because I like it, and I do yoga and pilates to improve my flexibility, strength and concentration.....

And I run because I love it!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    After a terrible start to the week with kit forgotten twice in a row, I look like I will be ending the week on 30 miles after all!!!

I did 8-ish yesterday - ran to the gym, on the machine for an hour and then ran home. Got 6 more miles this evening, 6 miles tomorrow morning and long run on Saturday of maybe just 12 miles.

Had a rather evil stitch after a mile on the machine last night though - and idea what this might be? I wonder if it is anything to do with dairy intake as I have been keeping it low drinking soya milk rather than dairy milk but recently (last couple of days) have been having cappuccinos. Am suffering awful cramps at the moment too - could this be a reaction to dairy?

I have