Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    Apologies Carol, I forgot to comment on you pb earlier! whoohoo!

Everyone's pb-ing. Does that mean I will too..... <wishing for a good one>

Bunny, this time I don't think it's the lack of distance training that's making my legs feel tired / weak, as it's pretty much from the start. I guess I could take a few days off and find out, but as I've got a race in 2 weeks, I'll be tapering next week anyway. 25 miles last week, not bad going for me :o)

Going to do a nutty Kenyan sesh tonight - and get even wobblier legs!
  • Options
    Hey, Fenscot, cross post. I'm talking about the Hatfield Broad Oak! Have you done it before?
  • Options
    Hi fenscot,
    Good to hear from you. I haven't got round to replying to your email (my apologies for that). MK will be my first 1/2M and to date I have got my mileage up to 8 miles and increasing it 0.5 miles a week at the moment. The only reason why I am doing Cranfield is because of going to the Uni there, I doubt I will be taking this one seriously at all.
  • Options
    JennyD - Haven't done Hatfield Broad Oak, but it has had some really good reviews. Both Hatfield and Daventry are about equi-distant for me, so depends on who else is running what, as it would be good to meet up with some other Forumites. Entry for HBO is about 12000, Daventry only 100, so I guess HBO is more likely:).

karlb - Daventry is nearer for you, but a very small race. Re Cranfield - do you ever not take a race seriously? Wish I did enough not to worry so much before each one!
  • Options
    Well when I say serious, I mean focusing on beating a previous PB or managing my pace. I mean I don't dwell too much on, for example, gradients of the run, the competition, or anything else for that matter. But I suspect I will thoroughly enjoy Cranfield for its nostalgic qualities irrespective of the fact that it will do little for MK two weeks later.
  • Options
    JennyD - Just noticed I put Hatfield entry at 12000! Meant 1200, but in fact it could be nearer 1500. From the look of the good reviews, think I will enter. Main problem has been lack of proper timing, surprised they don't use chips if there's such a large entry.

karlb - Watch that nostalgia, too many memories of your mispent youth might overcome you entirely, especially if the smell of the union bar assails your memory.
  • Options
    Fenscot, I'll just rely on my watch. I'm dreading I might press the wrong button though and wipe everything (as I've done before!). I'd have to try to remember the splits if I see the markers - I'm not the most observant when racing. I don't trust myself to press any more buttons! Only start and finish will do.

I have a very good idea the sort of pacing I want to do, so I hope I won't be far off!
  • Options
    Hey all - sorry I've been a bit quiet recently. Did my 10K on Sunday, and finished in 1.05.18 - slower than last year, but enjoyed it more. Feel a bit silly putting my time up here though, cos you're all much faster and obviously better runners than me. Excuse my self-pity, I'm just a bit pissed off right now.

What I really wanted to ask was if anyone had a particular half-marathon training programme they could recommend for me? I have now done 2 x 10K races, 2 x 5K races and am signed up for my first half at the beginning of Sept. I am not running this week, as I am knackered (went to give blood yesterday and was knocked back as my iron levels are too low). So I'm currently up to 10K racing in my training, I'm just not sure how to progress on to half-marathon training - any tips?
  • Options
    Laurauk, nice one on the 10k! You kept that quiet! And yep, 'self pity' is totally unfounded, because regardless of speed, we're all valid runners! There will ALWAYS be someone faster than you (unless you're called Paula). Slower runners admire faster ones for their speed understandably, but they probably don't realise that faster runners admire the slower ones for their tenacity. I used to think that fast runners had it easy because it looked so effortless, but that was stupid really, because everyone gives it all they've got. We all run for different reasons and if yours is enjoyment (me too!) then good for you!

Ramble over :o

I did 12 Kenyan hills last night and am actually a bit embarrassed to say I found it quite comfortable and could have done more, especially after all the big deal I made of it a month ago when I only managed 7. I think it's about time I turned the speed up.
  • Options
    Laura - Jenny is absolutely right: You can be rightly pleased with what you've achieved with your running. I think about 90% of people that I know wouldn't even be able to get round 10K and admire the fact that you have the motivation to do it at all. Well done!

As for training for a half, I think that the most important thing to start with is to increase the length of your long run so that your legs can get used to having to work for longer. I would recommend (and feel free to completely disregard this ;o) ) that when your legs have recovered from your race that you try and do another 10K at whatever speed you like (the most important thing at this stage is to spend time on your feet), and then start adding on one mile or maybe 10 minutes to the length of that run each week. If you're worried about setting a good time for the half then you can think about speedwork a bit nearer the time.

Hope that helps.
    Dave
    8o)
  • Options
    Laurak - I ditto what Jenny and Dave said: a time is a time, and if you enjoyed it, then clocks are regardless :)

As for half marathon training schedules, I found that Hal Higdon's intermediate schedule was perfect for me

(http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm)

It's less aggressive than the Runner's World schedules, and it let me shave 4mins off my pb, so it's gotta do something right! But, as for all schedules, you've got to adapt them to your personal needs. For me that meant swapping days over, skipping them completely...But I did follow it as a general rule!

Which half are you doing in September?

• Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and congrats :) I was having a major wibble this morning about how poorly I felt I'd done in the 10K (it was the Brittanic Glasgow Womens 10K), and worrying about the fact that I had now to think about doing the half. It's the Great Scottish Run in Sept, bunnyphobia, and I had a look at some of HH's schedules last night, and was quite impressed - good site, with very helpful links etc.

Dave - I don't care about my time for the half as this is my first one, I just want to be able to complete it, preferably without any walking breaks.
  • Options
    Laura, there was someone on here called Steaders (where is he???) who does around your time for a 10k and his race reports were amongst the most hilarious and entertaining I have ever read. Funny things can happen wherever you are in the field - we're nosy here and want to know! A race report would be nice... ;o)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Laurauk, congratulations of competing your first 10k. Bathe in the glory of finishing in a respectable time. Most of the population of this country cannot even run to the bus stop let alone 6 miles. As JennyD said whatever speed we run at, we all put in the same effort. In fact one could argue that it is a little easier for the speedier runner because they finish before the less fast runners, they have more time on their feet. We all look forward to hear how you get on with your training and any subsequent races that you enter. I think Dave's suggestion of running another 10k is a good one and adding a mile a week, or even every other week to your longer run would be very beneficial to your endurance.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have been wondering/worrying about Steaders, his Sandals Castle Race must be very very soon now. I did look to see if I could email him last week to see if he is ok. But he has opted not to be emailed. I do hope that we did not put him off by being faster. I do hope not and I do hope his knee is ok.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have been for another massage and hopefully this time he was able to get to the point where my butt really hurts. The culprit was/is a very small deep rotator muscle of the hip. It bl**dy hurt when he found it, so I hope that will resolve the problem. He says I can run as long as I listen to my body. But, he would recommend no speed running for at least a week.

I get bored with 'ordinary' runs, but at least I can still run.
  • Options
    Can I just add my congratulations Laura - well done on your 10k. I think you have been given good advice regarding your preparation for a half marathon. I did my second half on Sunday and realised my 'long runs' of 10 miles weren't long enough and I was very tired at 10 miles. Build up slowly, get your base miles in, then add speed later if you really want to beat the clock.
  • Options
    Jenny D - I meant to ask you - what make and model is your treadmill. I am seriously tempted to buy one in time for winter and haven't a clue about them
  • Options
    lauruk - well done it is an excellent time for a 10k. and if you enjoyed then great!you will do very well in your half, and i'm sure you will have no walking breaks if you let yourself recover from the 10k and then train sensibly for the half.

ceal - hope your massage works.

I hope Steaders is ok too - I hope he hasn't given up on running.
  • Options
    I did a run today. 4 miles and paced myself at 8:30/mile. Anyway during my run I went past our local primary school playground. In the heat of a run I barely noticed a little girl running in the playground parallel to me for a hundred yards; it was clear she was racing me. Well I am not one for missing a challenge so I upped the anti and .... I lost. The morals of the story; 1) There is always someone faster than you, 2) (for laurauk)just because you ran badly it doesn't mean you are a bad runner, 3) karlb haven't you got better things to do than try and compete with people half your height:)
  • Options
    PS New piccie on its way!!
  • Options
    Carol, we have a Trimline T335HR.

I can go on forever about treadmills, if you want advice just ask (sorry to bore everyone else though!). Best rule of thumb though, is you need to spend minimum £1000 to get a decent machine. Then it depends on your preferences - how fast you want to go, how tall you are (stride length), how much space you have. I shall assume you're under 21 stone though!!!

• Options
    Thanks for even more congrats and encouragement, guys!

jennyD - I'm not very good at writing reports at the best of times, LOL! And there's now way mine will be funny, sorry! Let's see, the weather was cool and cloudy to start with, but the clouds soon gave way to sun splitting the sky and way too high temps - there were lots of women collapsing in the heat, unfortunately, and many who looked like they were going to be very sunburnt - I hope they had sunscreen on! I started off at a nice slow pace, and tried to make sure I didn't get carried away with the pace of others, or get too bothered by being overtaken (what is about being overtaken that irks so much??) I was doing OK until about 5K, and thought that was the time to move my speed up a wee notch, but I found I had nothing in my legs to speed up with, so I just decided to keep on plodding - I thought it would make me happier to keep running even if slowly, than to have to stop and walk later because I did too much earlier. So I got over that hump and kept on plodding, took a swig or two of my Powerade whenever I felt really tired ( I know I don't need to refuel when running for that length of time, but I get a really dry mouth when running, and don't like drinking water when running). Everything was fine from then on until the last 1K, when I starting wondering why I was doing this darned race in the first place, I'd like to stop now thank you, etc, etc. I literally dragged myself over the last k and looked at my watch for the first time as I crossed the line. Was slightly disappointed about the time, but glad to be done, as it was absolutely roasting by then. The race was won by Lornah Kiplagat, the defending Kenyan champ, who did it in 31m44s.

My main positives after the race have been that my achilles has behaved itself and I managed to run the whole thing with no walking breaks.

Anyone stil awake??? ;-)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Excellent report Laura, I have to warn you, when you get faster and even faster that last 1k will always be hard!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that:-))
  • Options
    Ye gads! I was hoping it was just me! Please just tell me it doesn't get harder!

By the way - the reason I didn't look at my watch was that I wasn't aiming for a particular time (!?!?!so why was I so disappointed ?) and knew that if I did watch the time I would not listen to my body, which was how I wanted to tackle this one, in order to enjoy it more that last year's.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening - Well done laura, and i can echo what the others have said. There'll be plenty of others and as one young teen said to me tonight as i was nearing the end of my run tonight, probably looking a bit kn*****ed "Don't stop"

Ceal hope you'll be feeling fully fit soon.

Tonight on my way home noticed they'd mowed the grass in one of the local parks and i thought to myself intervals i'll do them tonight, was going to do them tomorrow, but just brought it forward a day. Had planned on doing 8 x 300metres 90 secs recovery.
    Set up Garmin to do most of the work.

A nice 20 minute warm up just shy of 2 miles then i began with (HR)
    1 - 1:30 (165)
    2 - 1:34 (172)

Bit of a slow start put it down to grass being a bit lumpy in places and not done any intervals since last October

3 - 1:23 (175)
    4 - 1:22 (177)

So much better according to Garmin 1:22 is 7:23 minute miling. I ike the sound of that
    Not quite 7:14 pacing but moving in the right direction

5 - 1:26 (177)
    6 - 1:25 (179)
    7 - 1:30 (182)

pace slowing a bit HR rising and on the last rep legs felt very wibbly so decided to abandon the 8th. Its only one i know but reckon the last one would have been much slower.
    Didn't realise till after run that on the last rep HR reached a max of 186 -a new recordable max, previously 185. No wonder legs felt like jelly.

Finished of with a 20 minute cool down which was where i met the delightful teen.
    I said i wouldn't stop. ;O)))
  • Options
    LOL - that's not what the youths usual say to me!!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Not usually here either laura, it made a pleasant change. :o)
  • Options
    Ceal - this was my second 10K - I ran the same one last year and did 62mins, but hated every minute of it - that's why my aim this year was more to enjoy it than to do a pb. The Britannic Glasgow Women's 10K is apparently the UK's biggest womens road race, with a field of 14500, so it's more one to do for the experience than a pb anyway -so I'm told - so I'm using that as one of my excuses :)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Goodness me! So much activity!!! When did this forum get so popular?!?!

Congrat to Laura - I really admire the not looking at your watch! I have only once or twice run a race to enjoy it, and it does make such a huge difference to how you feel I think. I can relate to the confussion about feeling disappointed to. When I ran a half last Nov, it was for the fun of it, and I REALLY enjoyed it. When I crossed the line in 1:57 I was shocked and left wondering "what if I had gone all out to go fast?". Not sure if that is where your disappointment comes from, but - as other have said - don't be disappointed because 65 minutes is a great time! In the heat as well, you did very well indeed. I was thankful my race was only a 5k on Sunday, I think 10k I would have passed out with the sun.

And I back the advice already given on approaching the half too. Build up your long run. I would go on time rather than distance for now. Far more satisfying! You have some good running to build on - I think you may even surprise yourself!

Yes! Where is Steaders?!