Options

Ben Fogel doing Des Sables Ultra

Comments

• Options
    dunno, just did two ickle desert races.

whatever the chap has done, desert running is probably quite punishment enough.

done two ickle desert races and quite cured of wishing ever to run MdS! The score was desert 2, stickless 0.
  • Options
    er, i agree with stickless
    the boy must be dedicated to his career to do the sables

Wouldnt catch me doing owt so DAFT
  • Options
    you daft? course not hippo.
  • Options
    I wouldnt do that race!
  • Options
    I always thought Fen Bogle was rural dirty dancing. Just shows how wrong you can be.

He is a t**t though.
  • Options
    a t**t whos done the MDS
    I have to respect that
  • Options
    toit ?

posh t**t Dodge?

• Options
    ....Yes he is.

If he did do MDS he must've had help. I bet they stretchered him through most of the stages.

The nancy t**t
  • Options
    hmmm

no i think he did do it under his own steam

actually i reckon if he wasnt so obviously upper clarse hed probably be ok

hes on Fat Nation at the moment

anyone who can attempt MdS with the heat and conditions is ok in my book -i couldnt manage it and respect anyone who can ..however slowly
  • Options
    These plummy sorts have an inbred advantage though. It's no coincidence that all these adventurers and explorers are posh.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Would you respect him more for his efforts if he dropped his tees and aitches, or said 'bath' with a short 'a'?

Because the fact that he speaks the way he does seems to be the only reason for your vitriol.
  • Options
    I'd respect him more if he wasn't some shandy drinking, poncy, wet, tv presenting ligger. Maybe. If he wasn't such an obvious example of style over substance celebrity, how he speaks is the least of his problems. If it was Jordan I'd be as...............I'd be ****ing amazed.
  • Options
    I recon you've got summat there Dodge, though I couldn't see Fogle hacksawing his frost-bitten fingers off in his garden shedlike Sir Ranulph Fiennes, who has since done 7 marathons in 7 days! I think I'm pushing my limits when I do 3 halfs in a month!!
  • Options
    I reckon if anyones got the nuts to do the MDS then they get my respect , toffee nosed toff or not
  • Options
    Plus he's such an easy target for taking the pish and when you consider the stick Paula R got and all she does is 100s of miles week after week and then pushes herself beyond her own endurance to breaking point. I think the Ben Fogles of this world are due their fair share.
  • Options
    Jj I didn't know you was posh! :-)

I think he smacks of the type that got where he has cos his family had the means not cos of any particular effort or talent of his own.

Or maybe thats just sour grapes cos I'm poor and very underprivalidged (see I can't even spell it...sob)

(he's certainly devalued the MdS for me) but then if I did it, I wouldn't have all the BBC backup and cold wine and posh nosh, and I'd have to do it some old shoes handed down by my grandad.
  • Options
    why has he devalued it ?

hes brought it to the attention of a lot of people who wont have ever heard it and might fire some dreams -its only being shown on BBC sunday because of him i guess

and he wont be the only 'loaded slacker' to have done it ..and somehow i dont think the heat and sand gives a damn about who it tortures
  • Options
    Hob-nailed boots and sack cloth, that'd be my Marathon De Sade techy gear.

:(
  • Options
    well, what a load of class warriors we have here. Just what is the relevance of him being who he is?
  • Options
    Quite right OB, he's irrelevant.
  • Options
    If I ever did the MdS the fact that plummy sorts had done it wouldn't diminish the achievement for me (assuming I did achieve it). Funnily enough, I was reading my copy of the RRC magazine and there was a letter in there from a "mature" member who was warning of the elitism that had pervaded running before and that they (the RRC) should be careful not to return to those times.
  • Options
    Without wishing to be nasty towards Mr Fogle but it would be better if he'd failed in his attempt. I think TV presenters succeeding in such events just leads the public to think that they're a piece of pi** and in that respect does devalue them. What happened to Britain as a lover of plucky losers and failures. Are we becoming just another of those countries for whom it's victory or nothing? Was Paula's performance at the Olympics an example of that, was the "public" reaction an example of it?
  • Options
    Didn't Peter Duncan used to try and fail at loads of things for Blue Peter? Halcyon days.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Scampi - why do you assume I'm 'posh'?

This is a tired old argument and I don't know why I got into it.
  • Options
    I have moved it on though Jj.
  • Options
    jeez between chav bashing and toff bashing the "real" people are sounding rather racist.

so, it's ok to bash people of upper and lower class but it's not ok to say anything wrong about ethnic minorities?

what's the difference? i'm not saying everyone has to constantly be politically correct but sometimes i think the amount of vitriol [i do like that word] towards chavs and toffs is uncalled for.

especially when running and sport in general is meant to be the "great equaller".
  • Options
    yj and there was me trying to move things along in a whole new direction and *you* have to go and drag classwar into it.

....can't stand people what do that.
  • Options
    dodge please forgive me. i beg, i'm on bended knee awaiting your mercy.........
  • Options
    "Without wishing to be nasty towards Mr Fogle but it would be better if he'd failed in his attempt. I think TV presenters succeeding in such events just leads the public to think that they're a piece of pi** and in that respect does devalue them."

I agree with you,to an extent, especially when they finish editing so it looks like he mid packs it (which I bet they do) - MDS has very generous cut offs.

The MDS is an expensive race weighing in at £2500 by the time youve got your kit and the UK entry list is chock full of solicitors, accountants and double barrelled named company directors...a lot of people who, somewhat surprisingly have almost zero running experiance and are there for the adventure it and the mental challenge.

So they are slow as hell.....but that doesnt mean they dont suffer, and that doesnt mean they dont achieve what they wanted to get out of it.

Personally I wouldnt do something If I thought I was going to finish near the back - Id rather not do something at all or fail trying to do it well then do something that I knew I was going to be useless at. Doing an event to just finish it doesnt interest me - but thats just me.

I know one thing though if the MDS really wants to consider itself as the much touted "toughest in the world" then it should introduce far tighter cut offs.
    Then the drama queen TV presenters can stay at home :-)

Its getting like the FLM of the ultra world.

Lets see him do a proper scary event like the GUC or something with a cut off like the London to brighton :-)